Thread: Larry Foote says Lions offered him a contract

Legend

User Info Menu

Larry Foote says Lions offered him a contract

LB Larry Foote says Lions offered him a contract

By LARRY LAGE, AP Sports Writer 48 minutes ago

[url="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Antv6bml0pC8XMLKBoR8kZRDubYF?slug=ap-lions-foote&prov=ap&type=lgns"]http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns[/url]

DETROIT (AP)—Larry Foote says the Detroit Lions have made him a contract offer and the linebacker’s first choice is to sign with his hometown team.

Foote said Tuesday night he met “everybody” at Lions headquarters in Allen Park, Mich., earlier in the day and that his agent, Ken Kremer, was working on completing a deal.

“They offered me something,” Foote said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. “I’m going to be wrestling with it tonight because they’re going back and forth with my agent as we speak. Playing in Detroit is definitely my first choice, but we’ll see how it goes.”

The Pittsburgh Steelers released Foote on Monday, a move expected because he asked to be traded or cut. He started every game for them the past five seasons, including their Super Bowl victories last season and after the 2005 season, but was unhappy coming off the field on passing downs.

The native of Detroit and former Michigan star said a lot of teams have expressed interest in him, including Arizona, Kansas City and Indianapolis.

If he joins the Lions, he would become the middle linebacker they desperately need coming off the first 0-16 season in NFL history.

Foote was due to make $2.885 million in the final season of his contract, but the Steelers no longer owe him the money.

With Lawrence Timmons ready to start, Foote told the Steelers last week he wanted to be dealt or cut. Pittsburgh released Foote after failing to find a team willing to part with a draft pick for him.

Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert said Foote was a big part of the team’s success, but the salary cap made the decision inevitable.

Foote, a fourth-round draft pick in 2002, had 14 1/2 sacks and three interceptions over the last five years with Pittsburgh after mostly being used on special teams in his first two seasons.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Larry Foote says Lions offered him a contract

Personally I think Foote and his agent screwed the Steelers by 'leaking' information that they shouldn't have. Big douchebag move if you ask me. Who would give up a draft pick for a player everyone knows will be cut in a matter of time.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Larry Foote says Lions offered him a contract

Arizona showed interest? No way! I never would have figured that! :P
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.