Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baker looking good...

Hall of Famer

Re: Baker looking good...

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel
    Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe
    Guys like Baker come and go every year.

It's good to have guys like that in case of injury . . but realistically, that's the only way he makes this team.

Ward
    Holmes
    McDonald
    Sweed
    Wallace

I see no room for Baker outside of injury.
    I agree with this assessment.
    YUP. Pretty much.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

I see no problem with keeping Baker if he is performing well enough to earn a roster spot...

I agree that McDonald is a veteran possession receiver...but, the Steelers already have a veteran possession receiver named Hines Ward...

Nate Washington earned a spot on the roster based upon what he did in practice and in the preseason...after one catch and one INT breakup in the 2005 playoffs, Nate started two games in place of Hines Ward in his second year...Bruce Arians was the WR coach then...

So, if Ward and Holmes are the starters and one of them gets injured, it isn't as though the Steelers haven't trusted supposedly untested WRs in the recent past...

If Baker knows the offense better than McDonald (and he should by now) and Baker performs better than McDonald in practice and in the preseason, I would hope that Baker would earn the roster spot over McDonald if it comes down to those two competing for one position...

But that's just me...
    I want gay married couples to be able to protect their marijuana plants with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    Sounds like Baker might become the next Walter Young - a preseason/minicamp sensation. He hasn't shown anything impressive in games yet. If he is even eligible, I would think that he would have a tough time making the practice squad this year, let alone the active roster.
    I was trying to think of another kid who was like this. He was a good TC one year and I think was poised to step up the next but got injured prior to the season beginning - never to be heard from again.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think his name was something like Zamir Cobb??

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o.
    Sounds like Baker might become the next Walter Young - a preseason/minicamp sensation. He hasn't shown anything impressive in games yet. If he is even eligible, I would think that he would have a tough time making the practice squad this year, let alone the active roster.
    I was trying to think of another kid who was like this. He was a good TC one year and I think was poised to step up the next but got injured prior to the season beginning - never to be heard from again.

Sounds like a bad magician on Hee Haw!

Pro Bowler

Yup...broke his leg & he wasn't the same.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Jahine Arnold was kinda like that as well.

Legend

I just don't see how Baker isn't the odd man out when you have Ward, Holmes, Sweed, Wallace and McDonald. Maybe Baker beats out McDonald but I don't see it happening.

Baker has the big drawback that Nate W. had and that is being a WR who doesn't fit on special teams. That is why I think Wallace gets the benfit of the doubt and the tiebreaker because he may be able to return kicks as one of the two guys back there with Burnett.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!