Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers' linebacker Davis eager to make impact

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers' linebacker Davis eager to make impact

Steelers' linebacker Davis eager to make impact

By John Harris, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Sunday, May 3, 2009

[url="http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_623419.html"]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 23419.html[/url]

Outside linebacker Bruce Davis didn't make a single play as a rookie — no tackles, sacks or interceptions — which is why he couldn't wait to get into the weight room and bulk up so he never goes through a season like that again.

A third-round pick in 2008, Davis shouldn't be labeled a bust because he wasn't on the field long enough to show he could play. But he knows the pressure is on him to produce this year.

"Last year, I don't want to say it was disappointing," said Davis, who had 29 career sacks at UCLA. "I would have hoped it would have gone another way, but it didn't."

Davis expects making a bigger contribution in 2009 because "the difference between year one and year two is I'm a lot more comfortable."

"I know the calls now," he said. "I don't have second-guess myself. I can just play. I know what I'm doing. I get to use what I've got. Anytime you're out there thinking on the football field, you're not moving as fast as you can. Now, if I get a call, I run with the call."

In college, Davis was always among the most talented players on the field. In the NFL, everyone can play, and Davis needed to change his approach.

"I got a lot stronger," said Davis, who is spending his offseason in Pittsburgh. "I got in the weight room with (conditioning coach Garrett Giemont and conditioning assistant Marcel Pastoor).

"I lost a little bit of weight (255 pounds, down from 262) and gained some muscle. I definitely feel like I have a half-step back from last year."

That extra half-step can make all the difference for a speed pass rusher — if Davis can get on the field. He's playing behind James Harrison, the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year, and LaMarr Woodley, who had 11.5 sacks in his first season as a starter.

"Realistically," Davis said, "am I going to take James Harrison's spot? I doubt it. That's just being real. The way it worked last year, I got to sit back and learn watching the best defense in the game. Until my number is called to make plays on defense, I'm going to play special teams like I'm out there playing outside linebacker. I'm going to go as hard as I can and try to knock some people out.

"Special teams is definitely a huge phase of this game and this team. Coach (Mike) Tomlin puts emphasis on special teams.

"But you can always get better. I want to get better on special teams and make an impact."

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Steelers' linebacker Davis eager to make impact

Davis seems to have the right attitude. He is just in tough position behind Harrison and Woodley. He just needs to get better and wait for his chance because the physical style that Harrison plays could give him an opportunity due to injury.

However he also could be a piece of the transition of the defense to a 4-3 and he would be ready to step in as DE with Woodley as the other DE.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I fail to see how Davis is in such a tough situation. If he became the #1 backup at both outside linebackers, he'd see the field enough to get good experience. It is likely that either Woodley or Harrison will miss some time with injuries. If he was the #1 backup and was effective, we could rotate a bit and keep Woodley and Harrison fresh. Between that and special teams, he can get plenty of action this year. It is not an ideal situation, but he could contribute quite a bit, if he earns the opportunity.

I have to see a picture of this kid with his added muscle. I just can't believe that he didn't add any weight. His upperbody was so lean.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I doubt we'll be switching to the 4-3 anytime soon. I predict that Tomlin has been influenced so much by Mr. LeBeau that even after the LeBeau Era, we'll still be playing the 3-4 scheme.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    However he also could be a piece of the transition of the defense to a 4-3 and he would be ready to step in as DE with Woodley as the other DE.

Do you mean in a sense of a undersized "speed" edge rusher similar to the type that Tony Dungy would employ ? ,.........
    http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/...lCzar76Sig.jpg

"We’ll have a mix-and-match concept that hopefully will see us through.” ~Tomlin

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCzar76

Do you mean in a sense of a undersized "speed" edge rusher similar to the type that Tony Dungy would employ ? ,.........
    Yes...one of thise "undersized speed edge riushers" who make the Pro Bowl and get double digit sacks like Dwight Freeney.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCzar76

Yes...one of thise "undersized speed edge riushers" who make the Pro Bowl and get double digit sacks like Dwight Freeney.

Shush you two!
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Legend

User Info Menu

Just to add my minus .18 cents to the 34 vs 43 discussion. Isn't the 34 a more attacking defense and the 43 a more sit back and wait for a mistake by the offense defense? If this is correct: Wouldn't the Steelers be going against what they love to do on defense by moving to a 43?

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    Just to add my minus .18 cents to the 34 vs 43 discussion. Isn't the 34 a more attacking defense and the 43 a more sit back and wait for a mistake by the offense defense? If this is correct: Wouldn't the Steelers be going against what they love to do on defense by moving to a 43?

Pappy
    Not if one's head Coach were to fantasize of Ziggy Hood as a young Warren Sapp, Lawrence Timmons as a young Derick Brooks, Lamarr Woodley as a young Tyoka Jackson and himself as Tony Dungy.
    http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/...lCzar76Sig.jpg

"We’ll have a mix-and-match concept that hopefully will see us through.” ~Tomlin

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I borrowed some change off Pap so here is my 2 cents. I do not expect a 3-4 to 4-3 conversion unless you see back-to-back .500 seasons...Which will not happen. The personnell & scheme transition sets a team back and we will not see it while the Steelers remain a competitive team. After BWL, a DC will be put in place who is either currently working with BWL or involved in a 3-4 scheme. When you have players in the 80 percentile retainage from year to year you are asking alot to change coaching philosophy(coach), system, and playbook while remaining competitive. I don't see Tomlin committing career suicide after BWL retires to put the 4-3 in place. The transition to more 3-4 teams is said to be from the lack elite DL prospects compared to the range of athletes coming out of the college game. It is easier to bulk up an athlete than it is to make bulk athletic.