Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Collecting more rings pushes Roethlisberger

  1. #1
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Collecting more rings pushes Roethlisberger

    Collecting more rings pushes Roethlisberger

    By Scott Brown, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Monday, May 4, 2009

    [url="http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_623484.html"]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 23484.html[/url]

    The late drive he engineered in Super Bowl XLIII will go down as a signature moment of his career, one that looks like it is on a track to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio.

    Yet Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said he still hasn't watched a replay of it.

    That might be a good thing for the Steelers since it could be a sign that Roethlisberger isn't basking in past glory as much as he is focused on what is still to come.

    Roethlisberger, after all, may be one of only 10 quarterbacks to win multiple Super Bowls, but he is still only 27 years old.

    "I believe he can get better," coach Mike Tomlin said at the conclusion of Steelers minicamp Sunday. "I'm sure that he does (too). He's still a young guy. He's got a lot of hardware that some young guys don't have, but those are the standards that he sets for himself. Like everybody else, Ben is going to be here searching for the ceiling in terms of what he's capable of doing."

    Like most of the Steelers veterans, Roethlisberger is easing back into his training, and he said he has not worked out since the Super Bowl.

    "That was just to recover and kind of relax and let your body heal and get 100 percent," Roethlisberger said. "I feel great, actually."

    The 6-foot-5, 241-pounder has as much reason as anyone to make sure his body gets enough time to recuperate from the 2008 season, considering how long it was and the beating that he took (Roethlisberger was sacked 46 times).

    His goal in the coming months is a simple if fairly predictable one.

    "I'm going to try to avoid offseason injuries," Roethlisberger said.

    He wasn't able to do that after leading the Steelers to a Super Bowl title in the 2005 season.

    Roethlisberger had a serious motorcycle accident in June 2006, and the effects of it as well as an emergency appendectomy in September sabotaged his and the Steelers' 2006 season.

    Roethlisberger threw 18 touchdown passes and 23 interceptions, as the Steelers slipped to 8-8 a season after winning their fifth Super Bowl.

    When asked if that has been the most trying season of his career, he said, "Physically, mentally, emotionally, yes, absolutely."

    Roethlisberger rebounded in 2007, setting Steelers single-season records in touchdown passes (32) and passing rating (104.1). He didn't put up big numbers again in 2008, but by the end of the season the Steelers had won another Lombardi Trophy in large part because of Roethlisberger and his late-game heroics.

    He may not be finished adding Super Bowl titles to his resume, considering Roethlisberger may just now be entering the prime of his career and is apparently as driven as ever.

    "From the second he got here he saw the four (Super Bowl) trophies up there and that's what he wanted to do," said Steelers defensive end Brett Keisel, one of Roethlisberger's closest friends on the team. "He wanted to get at least four and we're halfway there, so hopefully we can win a couple of more so we can live out that legacy."

    Roethlisberger has been keeping a low profile at Steelers offseason practices, and yesterday he wouldn't allow TV or video cameras to tape his first interview with Pittsburgh reporters since the Super Bowl.

    He said he will only throw at offseason practices, which isn't a departure from what Roethlisberger has done in past years, to preserve his arm. He added that he will take part in the voluntary practices the Steelers have 12 more of them that resume May 18.

    Before long, training camp will be here, and that is when the Steelers' quest to win a seventh Super Bowl will officially begin.

    "We've got a bulls-eye on our chest, and you always do as a Super Bowl team," Roethlisberger said. "We'll be all right."

    Molon labe

    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell



    American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

  2. #2
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Re: Collecting more rings pushes Roethlisberger

    I could see Ben get 4, maybe 5 rings in his career. I think we have about a realistic two to three year window of opportunity to get back to the Super Bowl. After this we will likely lose key veterans either to retirement or salary cap and have to step back for a year or two to reload. I know that it hard to accept but that is the reality of continually picking so low in the draft. Eventually it catches up with you.

  3. #3
    Backup

    User Info Menu

    Re: Collecting more rings pushes Roethlisberger

    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    ....I think we have about a realistic two to three year window of opportunity to get back to the Super Bowl. After this we will likely lose key veterans either to retirement or salary cap and have to step back for a year or two to reload.

    We have a one year window. Next year we will lose a lot of key players. Sure we will have replacements but the team chemistry will be significantly altered.

    If we don't get number 7 this year it may be a while. It may be a long while if the labor negotiations don't fall the right way.

  4. #4
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Re: Collecting more rings pushes Roethlisberger

    Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer
    "From the second he got here he saw the four (Super Bowl) trophies up there and that's what he wanted to do," said Steelers defensive end Brett Keisel, one of Roethlisberger's closest friends on the team. "He wanted to get at least four and we're halfway there, so hopefully we can win a couple of more so we can live out that legacy."
    I was just watching an old FSN Sports Beat Rewind where a rookie Roethlisberger
    stated that he saw the four Lombardi's and wanted to get four more.

    Halfway there.

  5. #5
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Re: Collecting more rings pushes Roethlisberger

    Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts
    Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer
    "From the second he got here he saw the four (Super Bowl) trophies up there and that's what he wanted to do," said Steelers defensive end Brett Keisel, one of Roethlisberger's closest friends on the team. "He wanted to get at least four and we're halfway there, so hopefully we can win a couple of more so we can live out that legacy."
    I was just watching an old FSN Sports Beat Rewind where a rookie Roethlisberger
    stated that he saw the four Lombardi's and wanted to get four more.

    Halfway there.

    Molon labe

    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell



    American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

  6. #6
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Re: Collecting more rings pushes Roethlisberger

    [youtube:3e3pzfn6]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZoibXWpBjuQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZoibXWpBjuQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube:3e3pzfn6]

  7. #7
    Backup

    User Info Menu

    Re: Collecting more rings pushes Roethlisberger

    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    I could see Ben get 4, maybe 5 rings in his career. I think we have about a realistic two to three year window of opportunity to get back to the Super Bowl. After this we will likely lose key veterans either to retirement or salary cap and have to step back for a year or two to reload. I know that it hard to accept but that is the reality of continually picking so low in the draft. Eventually it catches up with you.
    I would agree but I think the window can be shorter by placing the money in the right places and smart drafting and development. Cutting solid young guys who need only development for aging vets won't help, if that's what we do.
    1. Ziggy Hood DT/DE
    2. William Moore S
    3. Antoine Caldwell C/G
    4. Donald Washington CB
    5. Sammie Lee Hill DT/DE
    5. Terrance Taylor DT
    6. Lydon Murtha OT
    7. Frank Summers RB
    7. Tiquan Underwood WR

  8. #8
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Re: Collecting more rings pushes Roethlisberger

    Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts
    [youtube:2p69zbq3]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZoibXWpBjuQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZoibXWpBjuQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube:2p69zbq3]
    I think it moved.

    Luckily, that's not the test though!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •