Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The Official "I Just don't get our draft" thread

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: The Official "I Just don't get our draft" thread

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Urbik will challenge for a starting position this year. The guys is a big mauler who can play in a phone booth and just beat up defenses.
    I hope you're right. I haven't seen anything in this guy yet that distinguishes him from the OGs we already have.

Wallace will contribute both in the receiving game and possibly return game this season. A multiple position contributor unlike the receiver he replaces who was incapable of playing on special teams.
    Again, I hope you're right. But I'm not overly optimistic. I think the problem with our return game is a lot more than just plugging this guy in. And I don't look for him to contribute much to the receiving game this season.

Lewis IMO was drafted as Ryan Clark's replacement not a CB.
    I hadn't looked at that possiblity. If that's the case, this could be a good move. If they
    drafted him as a CB, however, I don't think he will be around that long.

Burnett will challenge as a rookie as a our primary return man on punts. Could be a solid nickle back learning from Deshea this season. Again a miltiple position contrinutor.
    But I thought Wallace was going to be our primary returner? I like Burnett--I hope he can make a solid pro.

Summers will get a chance to be the short yardage back and from all reports is a solid special teams player. Again multi position value.
    Agreed on this one.

Harris is a development player who doesn't have to produce this season and will likely be on PS.
    To me, he looks like Alonzo Jackson revisited. I hope I'm wrong.

Shipley could be the steal of the draft but doesn't have to step in this year but gets a year to develop.
    I like Shipley. Worth a 7th rounder, for sure.

Johnson is a PS player.
    Looks like they just made a pick to make a pick here.

As far as no OT and everyone trying to characterize it as a mistake by the FO I disagree. I think it means that they got it right last season and Tony Hills is showing he can do the job.
    I hope you're right. But in my estimation, we have TWO OT's to replace next year--neither Starks nor Colon will likely be back. We should have grabbed another OT to prepare for next season.

Overall a very solid draft for a team that has solid starters coming back in all positions.
    Time will tell if this was indeed a solid draft. But we do have solid starters returning, and
    so we have great hope for success this season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Steelers could have picked 3 waterboys and still had a good draft..
    Disagree. It's this kind of complacent attitude that will turn a champion into an also-ran in short order.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    One and or both of these players will be starting by the end of the year. Unless, they are complete busts, there's no way Kiesel can hold off Hood all year, if he does, it will be on paper only.
    You are far more optimistic about this than I am. I can't see Hood starting this season, unless Kiesel or Smith gets injured.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser
    One and or both of these players will be starting by the end of the year. Unless, they are complete busts, there's no way Kiesel can hold off Hood all year, if he does, it will be on paper only.
    You are far more optimistic about this than I am. I can't see Hood starting this season, unless Kiesel or Smith gets injured.
    Yahtzee, BH!!!
    Steelers...On The STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...etsteelfk7.jpg
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Steelers could have picked 3 waterboys and still had a good draft..
    Disagree. It's this kind of complacent attitude that will turn a champion into an also-ran in short order.
    Bingo, BH!!!

Always remember, Steeler Universe...CHAMPIONS BUILD WITH THE DRAFT!!!

Don't EVER forget that!!!
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!

Legend

User Info Menu

Burnett will challenge as a rookie as a our primary return man on punts. Could be a solid nickle back learning from Deshea this season. Again a miltiple position contrinutor.
    But I thought Wallace was going to be our primary returner? I like Burnett--I hope he can make a solid pro.

Harris is a development player who doesn't have to produce this season and will likely be on PS.
    Wallace is a kick returner. He's more fast than quick.
    Burnett is a punt returner. He's more quick than fast.

Harris is a 6th round d-line prospect. Jackson was a 2nd round pick who we attempted to convert to outside linebacker. Other than that, they are exactly the same.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'll admit I was kinda stoked that Rey (like Mendy, last year) might be the selection.

Another position that "in a year or two" we might need a guy to step in. The difference is, that'll actually be sooner than on the D-line. I know I've said this in a couple of places now, but, i wanted to be clear. Farrior is older than all the starting D-linemen and Foote is likely in his last season as a Steeler.

All in all, the draft was "solid"... but, not great.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's final Mock
    1.20 - Tailiese Fuaga, OT, Oregon St
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Luke Mccaffery, WR, Rice
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Legend

User Info Menu

I believe Kiesel is in the last year of his contract and he's on the wrong side of 30. He has been steady and consistent and this past year he seemed to get pushed around a bit in the run game. I will be disappointed if Hood isn't pushing him by the end of the year. I really don't see the Steelers resigning Kiesel after the upcoming year.

Pappy

The 2024 Pittsburgh Steeler draft

1.20 - Troy Fautanu, T, Washington
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia
    3.84 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.98 - Payton Wilson, LB, UNC
    4.119 - Mason McCprmick, OG, S. Dakota St
    7.178 - Logan Lee, DT, Iowa
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Urbik will challenge for a starting position this year. The guys is a big mauler who can play in a phone booth and just beat up defenses.
    I hope you're right. I haven't seen anything in this guy yet that distinguishes him from the OGs we already have.
    I'll come right out and say it: if he's competing with Darnell and Trai for the starting RG spot, Urbik is going to win. Some of the RBs he opened up holes for @ Wisconsin are in the NFL right now. I EXPECT Urbik to break camp as the starting RG for the SB Champion Steelers from Game 1. Ballsy prediction. But I'll bet I'm either right...or close to it.

Wallace will contribute both in the receiving game and possibly return game this season. A multiple position contributor unlike the receiver he replaces who was incapable of playing on special teams.
    Again, I hope you're right. But I'm not overly optimistic. I think the problem with our return game is a lot more than just plugging this guy in. And I don't look for him to contribute much to the receiving game this season.
    Wallace is no better than a 4th receiver, period. If he can't contribute to the return game immediately, then this will have been a wasted pick in the position he was drafted in. I'd give him at least 50/50 to be Nate's replacement. But that's also factoring in his return capabilities, something Nate lacked. I don't see him contributing much to the WR corp...but I hope I'm wrong with this one.

Lewis IMO was drafted as Ryan Clark's replacement not a CB.
    I hadn't looked at that possiblity. If that's the case, this could be a good move. If they drafted him as a CB, however, I don't think he will be around that long.
    Judging from what I've seen, OV, I hope you are right. He may be a camp cut if they think he is a CB...but I can definitely see him as a S. His style of play screams S because he lets too much crap slide by him at CB...he has the kind of range that would be beneficial at FS.

But I thought Wallace was going to be our primary returner? I like Burnett--I hope he can make a solid pro
    This one I'm definitely waiting and seeing on. I guess the value is there as a PR/CB/NB. Guy sounds like a jack-of-all-trades/master-of-none type. With his selection, the Steelers really don't have an excuse to be deficient in the secondary or in the return game because even if he doesn't make it...he probably will anyway...that means the return game and our situational coverages on D will have improved anyway. We WILL have an improved return game and secondary...or this was a wasted pick.

Summers will get a chance to be the short yardage back and from all reports is a solid special teams player. Again multi position value.
    Agreed on this one.
    Has Carey Davis been cut yet? Between Summers and McHugh, the short yardage O is covered and Summers will contribute on ST. I'd give this guy at least as much chance sight unseen to be as effective as Davis has been the entire time he's been here.

He's basically vying for Eason's roster spot. If that's the case, I'd rather have the guy who's been in the program previously. Don't see the logic here other than bringing in a camp body at a position of need. Way to pay lip service to the DL depth, Colbert...you better be rubbing the rabbit's foot hard hoping you don't have a rash of DL injuries this year.

Shipley could be the steal of the draft but doesn't have to step in this year but gets a year to develop.
    I like Shipley. Worth a 7th rounder, for sure.
    I hear that Shipley may be able to LS. If that's the case, he may just save a roster spot with that ability if he's just as good as any of the other LS. And if he can play C, too...bonus! And if he can become a starter...woo-hoo!!! And getting him in the 7th is a tremendous value...he was a mid-round projection in most mock drafts.

Johnson is a PS player.
    Looks like they just made a pick to make a pick here.
    Camp cut, period, unless he just wows the coaching staff. No way he takes a spot from McHugh or Spaeth and Heath needs to be re-signed anyway. We are set at TE for the foreseeable future.

As far as no OT and everyone trying to characterize it as a mistake by the FO I disagree. I think it means that they got it right last season and Tony Hills is showing he can do the job.
    I hope you're right. But in my estimation, we have TWO OT's to replace next year--neither Starks nor Colon will likely be back. We should have grabbed another OT to prepare for next season.
    If you ignore a need long enough...it will start screaming at you until you address the problem.

Starks will have to be in the Pro Bowl this year to justify the kind of $$$ he'll want long-term. He wanted Jordan Gross $$$...and he's a PBer. And we need to re-up Heath. No way Max gets his before Heath. And Colon IS NOT a T, period.

That said, the FO is sinking or swimming with Hills, Capizzi and Foster as the future of the OT position. I hope they know what they're doing and, for their sake, I hope these guys play into the starting role...two out of three of them will be starters unless Max and Willie show us something that they haven't yet and they would also have to take club-friendly deals to boot.

I won't say another word on this subject aside from...Colbert...you better be rubbing the rabbit's foot hard hoping you don't have a rash of OT injuries this year.

Overall a very solid draft for a team that has solid starters coming back in all positions.
    Time will tell if this was indeed a solid draft. But we do have solid starters returning, and so we have great hope for success this season.
    Time always tells the story with drafts. Hell, the jury is still out on last year's, to be fair. The Steelers are a deep team at virtually every position other than the OL and DL. So, with the good fortune of good health for the OL and DL, the Steelers are poised for another run at the Lombardi
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MeetJoeGreene
    Seriously.

I think we got scooped in every round. Look at the players that went in the 10 picks or so before us. Could have been a much different draft.

I really, really fear for our O-Line and for our D-Line (after another year).

We don't need TWO cornerbacks. The WR was a luxury that could have waited.

GRRRR.

MJG - I was disappointed with our draft - so it's not "just you".

At first glance it appeared to me that -

In Round 1 - We missed out on getting a needed upgrade at Center with either Mack or Wood. I don't think anyone expected them both to be gone by #32.

In Round 3 - We moved down and perhaps the Steelers had hoped to have their choice between Antoine Caldwell (#77), Louis Vasquez (#7 and finally our choice Kraig Urbik. (#79).

** I think the Steelers thought Caldwell would be there and missed.

Mike Wallace - Former NFL Scout Chris Landry really liked this pick for us, saying that we just got the fastest guy in the draft - and a very solid return guy. If he can make our return game even modestly dangerous he's worth it to me. You said that WR was a luxury in this draft - however I've heard a number of "experts" say this is the best Punt and Kick Return class they've seen in a long time - I agree with you that WR may not be a big need right now - however we lost our best return guy a few days ago (Gary Russell) and let's face it - when your goal line guy is also your Kickoff guy - something needs to be addressed.

In Round 5 - ****I believe the Steelers thought Duke Robinson might be available and missed him by five picks.

With Joe Burnett they have another shot at a Return man - and he'll probably be helpful to special teams. The other CB/Safety we took Keenan Lewis seems like a solid CB for our defense - in that he's supposed to offer solid run support, and he's supposed to be a quality guy to have on the team.

Outside of Ike Taylor - we can certainly use the youth (DeShea Townsend & Fernando Bryant) or a possible upgrade over former UDFA's (Roy Lewis or Anthony Madison).

Again I see these as solid "gambles".

I wasn't crazy about the Frank Summers selection --- however it makes sense if you don't plan to have a "real" Fullback - and if the Steelers offense intends on using more of an H-Back philosophy than the David Johnson TE selection also makes sense.

Finally with A.Q. Shipley - He won the Rimington Trophy last season for being the best center in College Football and we got him in the 7th round.

He may not be built for the Pro Game....but he's a local kid, who has excelled in a need position for us, who brings a great work ethic and a non stop motor. That's a slam dunk for a 7th round selection. Again he may not be built for the NFL ---- but he's certainly worth a look.

In conclusion when Mike Tomlin first joined the team he emphasized that the Steelers were going to "work hard" - and in most of the 2009 selections you see their positives as being "Hard Worker / Team Leader / Strong Work Ethic" - that's the one theme / philosopohy I believe is very consistent among our newest Steelers.

After further review the draft makes more sense to me today than it did last night - and I certainly hope the Steelers got lucky with a few of their gambles.

L.B.