Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stafford signs, per PFT.com

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: $41.7 Million Guaranteed????

This will probably get resolved in the next CBA.

Starter

User Info Menu

On one hand i'm all for the "free market" philosophy. (As the these owners most certainly make a great deal of money because of the talent of the players on the field.)

But then again, there is a part of me that says it's asinine to pay someone whom has not taken a single snap at the professional level that kind of money. Not to say that they may not deserve it at some point,....but damn,...at least let them prove as much first.
    http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/...lCzar76Sig.jpg

"We’ll have a mix-and-match concept that hopefully will see us through.” ~Tomlin

Legend

User Info Menu

[url="http://planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6403"]viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6403[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WoodleyofTroy
    Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    Quote Originally Posted by JDSteeler
    That is absolutely ridiculous!!!!!!

A college player that hasn't taken one snap as a NFL QB,
    is making more guaranteed money than veteran players
    that have been in the league and proved themselves on
    the field.

I think a salary cap for the rooks is needed for the top
    ten picks!!

This is exactly the reason why the Lions are losers!!!

JD
    just heard and i gotta agree. the first thing i said is that is why the lions suck haha. get ready for one of the all time biggest busts. how can you pay a guy that much who has never played one down in the nfl. im all for a cap for the first 5-10 picks, i think it would make a lot of sense
    Stafford a bust...why? He's got everything you need in a QB. A head on his shoulders. Can win games WITHOUT stats (we all know about that here), and can make every throw on the field. I think the Lions lucked out when Sam Bradford went back to school. Your typical stat QB (Bradford) that throws up huge numbers in College, winning the heisman, sucking in the pro's. Stafford is a Matt Ryan. Just gets it done. And has football written all over him regardless of system.

Detroit deserves no credit. They got lucky Stafford is #1 here. Like I said, Bradford comes out, they would take him. Typical Detroit drooling over the statistics and missing the "it" factor.
    stafford is much better than bradford i agree with that. i just thing stafford is too inconsistent, i wasnt all that impressed with him last season. i wouldnt want the steelers to draft him if we had the number 1 pick. stafford is definetly no matt ryan. imagine if matt ryan had the team stafford had. they would have been national champs easily.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JDSteeler
    Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodleyofTroy
    I agree that these contracts for rookies are obnoxious, but luckily for the Lions it's Matt Stafford and not Jamarcus Russell.
    i dunno i think i would rather have russell. its tough to judge these guys because they always play for awful teams and have nothing around them
    True, and that is the case. But when I think of Russell, I see an overweight,
    lazy, and confused QB. He wouldn't scare me if he was starting for the Pats*...

JD
    if russell dropped some pounds it would really help him out. he is absolutely huge but i think he has a lot of potential. if he was on the pats i would wouldnt be scared but after a couple more years under his belt i would be. he has such a strong arm. if the raiders ever built a good team around him i think he would be a very good qb, but they wont. they love throwing money away on bad free agents

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCzar76
    On one hand i'm all for the "free market" philosophy. (As the these owners most certainly make a great deal of money because of the talent of the players on the field.)

But then again, there is a part of me that says it's asinine to pay someone whom has not taken a single snap at the professional level that kind of money. Not to say that they may not deserve it at some point,....but damn,...at least let them prove as much first.
    I agree. My problem isn't with the players getting as much as they can under the current system...my problem is with the system.