Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If all these guys were still there at #32...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

If all these guys were still there at #32...

....who would you take and why?

Peria Jerry, Ole Miss - DT
    Height: 6-2. Weight: 290.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.94.
    Combine 40 Time: DNP.
    Pro Day 40 Time: 4.98.
    Benchx225: 28. Vertical: 31.

Vontae Davis, Illinois - CB
    Height: 6-0. Weight: 201.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.39.
    Combine 40 Time: 4.49.
    Pro Day 40 Time: 4.40.
    Benchx225: 25. Vertical: 37.5.

Alex Mack, California - C/G
    Height: 6-4. Weight: 307.
    Projected 40 Time: 5.13.
    Combine 40 Time: DNP.
    Pro Day 40 Time: 5.17.
    Benchx225: 20. Arm: 33.

Eben Britton, Arizona - OT
    Height: 6-6. Weight: 309.
    Projected 40 Time: 5.05.
    Combine 40 Time: 5.15.
    Benchx225: 24. Arm: 32 3/4.

James Laurinaitis, Ohio State - ILB
    Height: 6-2. Weight: 244.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.64.
    Combine 40 Time: 4.82.
    Pro Day 40 Time: 4.70.
    Benchx225: 22. Vertical: .

Robert Ayers, Tennessee - DE/OLB
    Height: 6-3. Weight: 272.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.73.
    Combine 40 Time: 4.89.
    Benchx225: 18. Vertical: .

OR

Michael Johnson, Georgia Tech - DE/OLB
    Height: 6-7. Weight: 266.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.63.
    Combine 40 Time: 4.75.
    Pro Day 40 Time: 4.59.
    Benchx225: 28. Vertical: 38.5.

I go with Mack.

- In areas of need, o-line is top, in my opinion. Not to say those other areas aren't in need, but I feel this area is most important. We invested a swiss bank in Ben, let's invest in his poretection
    - He's versatile, can play a guard or center
    - He has no off-field issues or severe character flaws that I'm aware of. It's said he has leadership qualities. He is smart, having won academic awards several times

That said, I still don't believe he'll be there. Because he's of outstanding charcter as well as talent, I believe he's less of a "risk" and will be selected before our #32. I would consider trading up for this guy if it as only 5-6 or less picks ahead of us. I feel this guy could anchor our line optimally for up to a couple decades in the tradition of past, great Steeler centers Webby > Dirt > Hartings > Mack?

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: If all these guys were still there at #32...

Any would be fine with me, just not Laurinaitis at ILB. It would be difficult to pass on Jerry and Davis, but, Mack would be my 1st choice as well. When you can draft the best player at a specific position and it happens to be a need and you're drafting at 1.32 that has a lot of value.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Mack is the safest pick. I agree that he could be the next in line of great Steeler centers.

Britton is tempting because quality tackles are hard to find, and the contracts of both of our starting tackles expire after this season. I would have to think long and hard about it if both Mack and Britton were there. I think Britton's short arms would push me ever so slightly to my long-time favorite in Mack.

Davis is a physical freak, but you have to worry about other potential red flags. Could be incredible...or could be another Plax type that just doesn't fit into the Steeler Way.

I wouldn't spend a #1 pick for Laurinaitis to be our #4 ILB. We may spend a pick on an ILB at some point because Foote is likely gone after this season and Farrior doesn't have too many years left, but I think we will wait until day 2 for a guy like that since we have more pressing needs at OL, DL, CB, and WR.

I think Jerry, Ayers, and Johnson could all be good players in the NFL, but I think all 3 are better suited for the 4-3 than the 3-4. I am not among those who believe that our draft strategy is about switching to the 4-3 when LeBeau retires.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Mack. He has been call arguably the best CENTER in the draft. Some people say Unger but like I have said before he is a jack of all trades master of none. Trai Essex 2. That is great for a back up, not a starter or first rounder.

Mack all the way!
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Ruthless: Who are the best 3-4 DE's in the draft? And which of these have a shot at being there at #32?

FYI: I threw in an ILB to be groomed as Farrior's replacement down the road. Yeah, ILB (and OLB) is hardly the position of need that the others are

For arguments sake, say it was Maualuga instead of Laurinaitis available at #32. Does that change how you feel about taking an ILB at that spot?

Also, how bummed would y'all be if we got unger instead of mack at #32? They really seem quite similar....

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Blount's G
    Ruthless: Who are the best 3-4 DE's in the draft? And which of these have a shot at being there at #32?

FYI: I threw in an ILB to be groomed as Farrior's replacement down the road. Yeah, ILB (and OLB) is hardly the position of need that the others are

For arguments sake, say it was Maualuga instead of Laurinaitis available at #32. Does that change how you feel about taking an ILB at that spot?
    I would say Jarron Gilbert is probably your best bet at #32 if you're looking for a 3-4 DE, because Tyson Jackson will be long gone...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Blount's G

Also, how bummed would y'all be if we got unger instead of mack at #32? They really seem quite similar....
    I think 3-4 DE's should be at least 6' 4" and have the frame to carry 285-305 lbs.

First day possibilities:
    Tyson Jackson 6-4 295 (likely long gone before #32)
    Jarron Gilbert 6-5 288
    Fili Moala 6-4 305

Second day possibilities:
    Kyle Moore 6-5 272
    Will Johnson 6-5 290
    Zach Potter 6-7 279
    Pannel Egboh 6-6- 277
    Everette Pendescleaux 6-6 305
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Mack.

I hate this fact, but we need to scramble to focus on weak areas, so BPA may not be our best approach.

The situation with lack of depth and poor talent now on O line and D line scares me.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Mack seems to be the fan favorite. Probably because his name has been out there longer.

However the more you read from draft analysts and scouts who do this full time the less he is considered a clear cut favorite over Unger or Woods.

Right now I think Woods is getting the best assessments and he is getting more positive "buzz" the more data that is available on him.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Mack seems to be the fan favorite. Probably because his name has been out there longer.

However the more you read from draft analysts and scouts who do this full time the less he is considered a clear cut favorite over Unger or Woods.

Right now I think Woods is getting the best assessments and he is getting more positive "buzz" the more data that is available on him.
    Then why don't you think Mack will be available for the Steelers, if you think he's sliding?
    "That's just Ben being Superman" -John Madden, Super Bowl XLIII