Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: In My NFL...

Starter

User Info Menu

Re: In My NFL...

In my NFL-

Goodell would not be the commissioner.

Spygate, the Patriots, Belichick / his staff, and the NFL, would all be subjected to a federal investigation. Screw em. If it was the entire league in co-hoots about the scam, then we deserve to know.

There would be full time refs.

Holding would be holding. None of this “maybe that is holding crap”- or that holding occurred during a critical play, thus is holding, or that holding did not stop the defensive player from forward progress- bull ****. Define it, and call it consistently.

In the spirit of economic expansion-

I don’t like the idea of an 18 game regular season- for all of the obvious reasons.

But if it is inevitable, which I think is the case-

I would do it like this-

3 pre season games- use two, in part, to tune up the regular players, and one as 100% evaluation.

18 game regular season, with each team getting 2 byes. The byes would occur in two phases.

Phase 1: weeks 2- 10. Phase 2: weeks 11 – 19. No team would get a bye on the 1st or last week of the season.

The playoff format would remain limited to 4 division winners and 2 wild card teams.
    After the wild card round, teams would be reseeded by overall record.

Lastly,

In my NFL, the Pittsburgh Steelers would have block numbers on their jerseys.

Starter

User Info Menu

In my NFL...

-There would be no TV timeouts.

-And Gus Johnson would do every Steelers game on CBS.
    "That's just Ben being Superman" -John Madden, Super Bowl XLIII

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

In my NFL, all players that have police records would be recognized in a pregame ceremony at the 50 yrd line & their mug shots would be on the jumbo tron.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ozey74
    In my NFL, all players that have police records would be recognized in a pregame ceremony at the 50 yrd line & their mug shots would be on the jumbo tron.

Cinci would have to start games one hour early!
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Starter

User Info Menu

In my NFL, we would give up these goofy division alignments that make no sense and develop regional divisions that would build some real rivalries. No concerns about local blackouts. If you don't sell your tickets to your fans, the opposing fans who live close to your city will take over your stadium.

Kind of like what Pittsburgh already does now. To the entire NFL.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MeetJoeGreene
    In my NFL, no one could weigh more than 300 pounds.

In my NFL, there would be a rookie salary cap.

Quote Originally Posted by ANPSTEEL
    In my NFL-Goodell would not be the commissioner.

In my NFL-There would be full time refs.

Bingo on all counts:

A weight limit would allow for a much more athletic game and a much more athletic player. No more of these tubs of goo parading around as professional athletes. If you want to play in the NFL, you get to keep your weight under control for a more athletic and competitive game...and for the player's future and present overall health.

A rookie salary cap is already a proven success in the NBA and would work wonders in the NFL where some serious economic issues are looming in a questionable overall fiscal environment in this country.

Goodell has proven that he operates with a wet noodle for a spine and is merely a tool for the owners and not, as it should be, the other way around where the commissioner is dictating the terms of how the league operates.

Full time refs, considering the nature of the game today with how the economics of the sport work and how the speed of the game seems to be increasing all the time, is an idea that should have been instituted with the salary cap. Considering the age and condition of many current NFL referees, it is well past time that all NFL field officials be annually evaluated and be able to pass a full physical (which is something that might already be required anyway, but it doesn't hurt to suggest this point).

Also, to add:

In my NFL, all review determinations would be made off-site by a review official in the league office who would have 90 seconds to determine the outcome of a review or challenge. The NHL has a similar review policy and it is as close to being entirely accurate as any review process in any sport. Having a review official specifically assigned to each game off-site (and away from the BS in the stands) is a very logical solution to any issues with the review system.

In my NFL, we will have an 18 game regular season so long as: 1) each team gets TWO bye weeks and teams with a bye week will play another team with a bye week the following week. And, 2) the preseason consists of only two games. If we are adding to the regular season, it will come at the expense of scheduled preseason games. If teams need more methods for evaluation, controlled scrimmages can be used at training camp sites as scrimmages are often a more useful tool for player evaluation in a specific situation than a live game where a preferred situation for evaluation may or may not occur.
    Steelers...On The STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...etsteelfk7.jpg
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!

Legend

User Info Menu

I've avoided this thread largely because I figured there would be some pretty unrealistic stuff in here. Some of it is meant to be funny and that's quite alright, but some of the stuff that's meant to be serious...*shakes head*.

--Players too slow to get up? This is a violent game. That happens on nearly every play. Jim Brown used to do it on purpose so the opposition wouldn't know when they really had hurt him.

--Same protection for QBs as other players? The only players as vulnerable as the QB is the punter. It makes no sense not to give a bit of extra protection to a player who touches the ball on every offensive play. A players who's presence (or lack thereof) can make or break your team's season. I understand some protections go overboard, but to say they shouldn't have any extra protection is foolish at best.

--No rules for what can be challenged? Nearly every game would last 5-6 hours. No thanks.

--No corporate names of stadiums??? Then new stadiums would never be built. Corporate sponsorships pay for new stadiums. Ask some of the Steelers who have played in both TRS and Heinz where they would rather play. I doubt you would get one nod to TRS.

--Felony = ban? Should it be that way for all occupations?

--Full time officials??? They are full time during the season. There is absolutely not enough to keep them busy during the off season. Plus 6 more months of salary for all those officials would have to be paid for somehow. Guess how they would do that?

--No TV timeouts? Your NFL would go broke before a single player set foot on a practice field.

--Gus Johnson??? That one is meant to be funny, right? Gus Johnson makes Kevin Harlan sound like a guy who lost his voice to throat cancer 30 years ago. If I want to be screamed at I'll piss some woman off. Why would I want to listen to Gus Johnson screaming at me for 3 hours. Oops, wait...make that 5-6 hours since you want every call to be challengeable.

Legend

User Info Menu

I guess D likes my idea about math teachers!
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Heres on for you StlrzD:

In my NFL, the Bengals uniforms have alternating red and white vertical 'bars', the Ravens purple and white, and the Browns unis are white with brown stains on them.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Another one:

In my NFL, there would be no bullschitt draft compensation for lost UFAs. Instead, if a team loses a UFA with at least 6 years in the league for the same team, the team losing the player would be granted salary cap relief equal to the value for that player for the length of his deal. That way, if a team develops a player and he chooses to bolt, the team would be rewarded for effective drafting by receiving cap relief. It would enable teams who use the draft properly to use the cap relief they receive to sign FAs of need or re-sign potential UFAs from their own team so that they aren't losing players in FA every year.
    Steelers...On The STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...etsteelfk7.jpg
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!