Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Compensatory picks are out...

Yes, it sure seems we got screwed and it will be interesting to see how all the conspirators spin this when BSing that the Steelers are the NFL's favorite son. What I do wonder is why is everyone mad at Goodell? Did he change the rules on awarding comp picks?
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I felt that a trade up in the 1st was a high possibility "IF" the Steelers got a 3rd comp. I think it is BS that you loose a player like Faneca with his contract & a Pro Bowl and you get nothing...Basicly! I don't think a trade up is as likely now. I chnaged my mock...Liked it better before!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85
    Yes, it sure seems we got screwed and it will be interesting to see how all the conspirators spin this when BSing that the Steelers are the NFL's favorite son. What I do wonder is why is everyone mad at Goodell? Did he change the rules on awarding comp picks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandito
    After the Patriots won the 2004 Superbowl, they were compensated with a 3rd, 5th, and 7th.

There were six 3rd round comps, three 4th round comps, and six 5th round comps.

[url="http://dal.scout.com/2/362132.html"]http://dal.scout.com/2/362132.html[/url]
    Aparently, since previous SB winners have received 3rd round picks. So SB winners can get 3rd round comps.

Not only did the Pats get a 3rd rounder after winning the SB, it was pick 3-37. Another third round pick was awarded to Denver that year at 3-38. So the "SB winner gets the last pick in the round" justification doesn't hold water either.

Bottom line is that we just got hosed by the league. Hopefully the Rooney's put up a fuss, because this it total BS.

Based on this years comps, the NFL should have to put out the formula for the comps to ensure that they are being done in an legitimate fashion from year to year. This years comps are not legit based on how they have been done in previous years.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz
    Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandito
    After the Patriots won the 2004 Superbowl, they were compensated with a 3rd, 5th, and 7th.

There were six 3rd round comps, three 4th round comps, and six 5th round comps.

[url="http://dal.scout.com/2/362132.html"]http://dal.scout.com/2/362132.html[/url]

Bottom line is that we just got hosed by the league. Hopefully the Rooney's put up a fuss, because this it total BS.

Unfortunately Rooneys are not going to do anything about GOODELL....they support him.

I heard on Mike & Mike today morning that NFL will be turned into flag football to protect Tom Brady a.k.a Marsha??
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Legend

User Info Menu

Now that my shock and anger has subsided, the only thing I can think of is that Mewelde Moore must have factored into this more than anybody would have ever thought.

The initial thinking was that Moore and Clark Haggans would cancel each other out. Both signed relatively low money deals (about $1 million per), although Haggans signed a one year deal, and Moore's was three years. Haggans didn't play much and get hurt, whereas Moore played every week and started a few games. Somehow, Moore must have been a significant factor in the comp formula, taking Faneca from a 3 to a 5.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Got some insight on the compensatory process from AdamJT13. The guy that predicts the comp picks pretty well before they come out. Here is some info:

The NFL lets a player's value be determined primarily by the market, which also helps determines the opportunity a team had for keeping that player. You get compensated based mostly on that value. And what the player did for you (his previous team) is irrelevant. The formula is based entirely on his contract with his new team (which is the main factor), his playing time with his new team (a small factor) and any honors he got with his new team (a very small factor).

Regarding Michael Turner, the reason he was worth only a fourth-round pick was because he signed for only $5.75 million per season and he played less than 60 percent of the Falcons' offensive snaps. The fact that he made the Pro Bowl wasn't enough to move that pick into the third round.
    I asked him why the Steelers only got a 5th for Faneca then. I'll let you guys know if he responds...

Backup

User Info Menu

Here is what AdamJT13 had to say:
    The NFL announced the compensatory picks this afternoon. I got 26 correct this year, with almost all of them coming in the order I projected. I was off by one round on three more, all of which I said were possible. I barely missed my goal of 30 correct or within one round, but I had more picks correct and fewer off by one round than I expected, so I'm fairly pleased.

I missed two seventh-rounders, with the NFL awarding picks to Jacksonville and Cincinnati (both of which I said would happen if Aaron Glenn and Alex Stepanovich qualified, and they did qualify). Seattle didn't get one of the seventh-rounders I projected because Keary Colbert wound up qualifying (I explained his situation in my original post). Detroit didn't end up getting a net-value pick as I projected, so I'll have to re-examine the players involved there. It was a close call anyway, so it's not a big surprise.

The one surprise that I can't explain is the Steelers getting only a fifth-round pick after losing two players (Alan Faneca and Clark Haggans) and signing one (Mewelde Moore). Haggans and Moore had seventh-round values and should have canceled out each other. Faneca played 99 percent of the snaps, made the Pro Bowl and got a huge contract ($7.8 million per season, plus a little more that doesn't count in the equation). He clearly had a third-round value, so I'm curious about why the Steelers got a fifth. Hopefully the media in Pittsburgh will look into it and get an answer.

I'll provide a little more analysis later. In the meantime, here are the 2009 comp picks and the players signed and lost by each team that got a true comp pick:
    [url="http://adamjt13.blogspot.com/"]http://adamjt13.blogspot.com/[/url]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by justplainnasty
    Here is what AdamJT13 had to say:
    The NFL announced the compensatory picks this afternoon. I got 26 correct this year, with almost all of them coming in the order I projected. I was off by one round on three more, all of which I said were possible. I barely missed my goal of 30 correct or within one round, but I had more picks correct and fewer off by one round than I expected, so I'm fairly pleased.

I missed two seventh-rounders, with the NFL awarding picks to Jacksonville and Cincinnati (both of which I said would happen if Aaron Glenn and Alex Stepanovich qualified, and they did qualify). Seattle didn't get one of the seventh-rounders I projected because Keary Colbert wound up qualifying (I explained his situation in my original post). Detroit didn't end up getting a net-value pick as I projected, so I'll have to re-examine the players involved there. It was a close call anyway, so it's not a big surprise.

The one surprise that I can't explain is the Steelers getting only a fifth-round pick after losing two players (Alan Faneca and Clark Haggans) and signing one (Mewelde Moore). Haggans and Moore had seventh-round values and should have canceled out each other. Faneca played 99 percent of the snaps, made the Pro Bowl and got a huge contract ($7.8 million per season, plus a little more that doesn't count in the equation). He clearly had a third-round value, so I'm curious about why the Steelers got a fifth. Hopefully the media in Pittsburgh will look into it and get an answer.

I'll provide a little more analysis later. In the meantime, here are the 2009 comp picks and the players signed and lost by each team that got a true comp pick:
    [url="http://adamjt13.blogspot.com/"]http://adamjt13.blogspot.com/[/url]
    Also the Patriots and the Colts got 3rd round comp picks after they won the SB. So it's not because you guys won the SB.

You guys on some double secret probation that no one knows about?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Chemsteel,

Where are you? Take this straight to Tomlin.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.