Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Package picks and trade up?

Legend

User Info Menu

Package picks and trade up?

We've got a lot of picks, but honestly, not a lot of room on the roster.

What do you think draftnicks? Do the Steelers package some picks and trade up to get a player they may really want? Is it possible? Who may be a likely trading partner?

Discuss...I demand it! :P

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Package picks and trade up?

I am not opposed to it per se, but you have to have a willing trading partner and the right player needs to fall.

I am actually MORE in favor of doing it in mid-rounds as opposed to the first when the prices isn't SO steep.

I think we have the roster spots to keep most of our draft choices or put them on the PS.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It is certainly a possibility. I think they could also move up in the 2nd or 3rd to get a guy they like. With all of the UFAs, we'll have after the 2009 season. The Steelers must find a way to add as many quality young players as they can to their current roster.

To speak to your point about not having a lot of holes for the # of picks we have. I think we could find spots for 9 guys on our 53 man roster.

WR- lost Nate - need 1-2
    TE - - need 0
    QB - likely will add a vet - need 0
    RB - - need 0
    FB - Davis could be upgraded - need 0-1
    OL - lost Simmons and Smith - need 2-3
    DL - lost Roye, could cut a vet backup DE - need 1-2
    OLB - Deebo, Wood, Bailey, Frazier, A. Harrison - need 0
    ILB - - need 1
    S - lost Smith - need 1-2
    CB - lost BMac - need 1
    A kick returner would help too.

Our need range is 7-12 players, I'd say. So, I think the 9 picks would all get a fair shot to make the team.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Good points, but remember there will also be UFAs in the mix.

Legend

User Info Menu

I've stated in other threads that the only major move I would make round 1 (i.e. vault into the top 20) would be if a top OT like Michael Oher fell. My trade partner would be Tomlin's former team in Tampa, where the assistant DB coach that worked directly under Tomlin there is now the Bucs' head coach. They pick right in front of Detroit and Philly, both of which I think could take tackles. Tampa would probably like to start their new regime with a hand-picked QB, and they are reported to like Josh Freeman (who Raheem Morris knows from his one year at Kansas State). The 19th overall pick may be a bit early for Freeman (he could just as easily be had at #32 since there are no QB starved teams down there after Minnesota traded for Sage Rosenfels...provided at Detroit takes Stafford or Sanchez at #1 overall). They could not wait and hope that Freeman falls to them in the second round because Tampa does not have a 2nd round pick after trading it for Kellen Winslow. The cost of doing business to move up from #32 to #19, according to the trade value chart, would be our 2nd and 6th round picks (they would like getting a 2nd round pick back again after the Winslow trade, plus a late round pick from us, after they gave us their 7th rounder in the Mahan trade). I would be willing to pay that price for a top tackle, especially since both of our starters at tackle have contracts that are due to expire at the end of this season. Getting a young, talented, and relatively inexpensive OT option would be my best case scenario.

If not, I would be willing to make a minor trade-up a few spots in the first to take Alex Mack if he is deemed to be their top target at #32, but they are worried that another team could snatch him ahead of us.

A third trade-up option would be to move up in the second round to get a beast for our d-line like Jarron Gilbert if they do not feel he will fall to #64.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm actusally going to throw you a curve here. I'm all for trading down into the Top 10 of Round 2 and picking up more picks. My logic is that we don't have a pressing need and no rookie we draft will be called upon to start this year.

So why not trade down out of 1.32 with someone like Oakland, Jacksonville or Green Bay (#7, 8 and 9 in Round 2 respectively) and pick up another pick or two. With those extra pick we may be able to move up 5-8 picks in Round 2 and 3 and get players who are more in demand.

The benefits i see is flexibility to move out of the last pick in in a couple of rounds plus we could probably still get a quality player at the position we want, i.e. we may pass on Mack at 1.32 but could get Wood or Unger early in Round 2 or pass on Tyson Jackson at 1.32 and get Ron Brace early in Round 2.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I'm not very good at this draft thing but here are mine....

I'm thinking the Steelers will gamble and hope that whomever they have tabbed will fall to them, be it Mack or Brace or the 3rd CB. I think they may be more willing to trade out of the first round to the top of the second and pick up an extra 2nd day pick if they think one of their top three or four guys will fall into the second round. This will add an additional guy on day 2 and perhaps they'll get their top guy with second round money.
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think whether the Steelers trade up or down largely depends on: 1) their internal scouting evaluations; and 2) the way the draft unfolds.

If a guy the Steelers really like slides into striking range in the 20s, I think the Steelers will, and should, go after him. Moving up to grab players that they have targeted has worked very well for them in the first round. I could also see the Steelers using one of their picks to move up in the 2nd - 4th rounds. If there is nobody that they like at 1.32, and they haven't been able to move up, then a trade back makes a lot of sense.

Starter

User Info Menu

I'd love it if we moved up in R2 to get a guy like Jarron Gilbert. Tremendous athleticism, good size, playmaking ability... work him slowly into the D Line rotation... Yessir.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Not now.. since we're only getting a rd 5 comp pick. What a bunch of bull$****!
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.