Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The matter of rules and overtime in the NFL

HardlinerKC

The matter of rules and overtime in the NFL

An ongoing discussion with arguments presented often on both sides of the issue. I'll tell you something, Steel fans, we need some alteration of the current rules on this matter but, having said that, feel I'm already in the minority. Especially when you see my proposal to follow toward the end of my dissertation on this topic. Indulge me for a few moments, okay?

When the NFL owners hold their annual March meetings next week in southern California, they will not have before them a proposal from the league’s Competition Committee on changes in overtime rules.

Let’s hope the owners simply go ahead and make the changes themselves.

“We think it still achieves its major goal, which is it breaks ties,” said Rich McKay, the co-chairman of the competition committee which just finished up meetings in Florida to consider possible changes to rules and regulations. “There’s just not enough support at this time to change it.”

The pro game does not need many changes; it’s a pretty well regulated game these days. But one area that needs change is overtime. After playing four quarters without deciding a winner, the current rules allow the situation where only one team could get a chance to win the game.

It would be a very simple alteration. If a team scores on the first possession of the extra period, the opposing team should be given a chance to score. If they tie the score, then the teams revert to the old rules of the next score wins the game. If the second team counters an opening possession field goal with a touchdown, then the second team wins. If the second team doesn’t score, the game is over.

The extra period was added in the NFL regular season in 1974. Since then there have been 432 overtime games played. Overall, 53.7 percent of those games were won by the team that won the toss in overtime. And overall, 30.1 percent of the time the team that won the toss drove for the winning score on that first possession.

But in recent years those numbers have been changing. For instance, in the 15 overtime games during the 2008 season, the team that won the toss got the victory 66.7 percent of the time and they won on the first possession 46.7 percent of the time.

The changes are being driven by kickers, what with the kickoff line moved back to the 30-yard line and NFL kickers continually improving their FG percentage. Teams getting the overtime kickoff start with better field position than they did years ago and their kickers are strong and consistent enough to drill home the field goals without giving the opponent a chance with the ball.

NFL players support maintaining the current system because they are concerned about the potential for injuries from extra playing time should a new format be adopted.

Given the current labor climate in the NFL, the fact the players are against a change may drive the owners to step up and alter the rules anyway.

There is an unfair quality about the rule and it should be changed. Both teams should have at least one chance to score. Okay, back to the volatile opening statement I made on this topic and another solution for this issue:

As we know, the vast majority of NFL overtime games are decided by a FG anyway, so why not borrow a page from MLS and have the Kickers take 5 shots from the 50 yard line with the team hitting the most, wins. WINS. Save the wear and tear on the players! If it's still tied at the conclusion of 5 kicks for each team, then go to a one-on-one format with the first kicker that misses after the other converts to decide the winner.

Again, and let this fact sink in: MOST OVERTIME GAMES ARE DECIDED BY A FG ANYWAY!!! Your thoughts?

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: The matter of rules and overtime in the NFL

straight bull####

if the NFL's beloved Peyton Manning had a chance to play in their OT loss then this wouldn't even be up for discussion.

But in recent years those numbers have been changing. For instance, in the 15 overtime games during the 2008 season, the team that won the toss got the victory 66.7 percent of the time and they won on the first possession 46.7 percent of the time.

this makes no sense IMO.. if they won on the first possession under 47 percent of the time then what is the point of changing the rule?
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    straight bull####

if the NFL's beloved Peyton Manning had a chance to play in their OT loss then this wouldn't even be up for discussion.

this makes no sense IMO.. if they won on the first possession under 47 percent of the time then what is the point of changing the rule?
    I disagree with you. It is a big deal because it happened in the playoffs. Members of the media who are opposed to the current rule simply use Manning since it happened when his team was playing.

Hardliner, I agree it should change but I don't like your solution. However, I have no solution of my own.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    straight bull####

I disagree with you. It is a big deal because it happened in the playoffs. Members of the media who are opposed to the current rule simply use Manning since it happened when his team was playing.

Hardliner, I agree it should change but I don't like your solution. However, I have no solution of my own.
    was that the first OT game in playoff history?
    if Peyton got the ball first and won would this be an issue?

it's only because the media darling didn't get a chance to quick hike another TD on SD..

if the team who got the flip scored on the first possession 47% of the time.. then what is the problem? It means the other team got the ball once 53% of the time..

sure it shows the team usually wins 66% of the time.. but it also shows the other team got a possession.

if it wasn't Manning we wouldn't be hearing about it plain and simple.. do you really think the media would talk about how unfair it was Rivers didn't get a chance to touch the ball with an 8-8 team?
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Again I disagree. Manning is a big name so people who want the OT rules changed use his name to state their case.

I don't recall the last time a playoff game went to OT and only one team touched the ball, but I'm sure there was just as much pub about it then as there is now.

I'm not just singling you out...I really, really have a STRONG dislike for any NFL conspiracy BS of any kind.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

straight bull####

exactly. The other team got a chance to win over half of the time. No need for a change.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think the current rules make teams consider their in-game moves more carefully if they dont want to go to overtime. The only change I would make is that the team that came from behind to tie would have to kick off in the overtime. Maybe they would have more incentive to go for the win if they knew that. If OT was 0-0 (ever happen?) then a coin flip would have to work.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

User Info Menu

Two solutions for me:

Either leave the game a tie or
    Play another complete quarter.

Anything else is not really deciding the game by playing football. I hate the current OT rules even more than I hate ties; I'd rather the teams just have a tie than the current OT rules. They might as well just send the kickers out and just determine the winner by the coin flip, it's a 50-50 proposition.

Unfortunately, in such a physical game continuing to play really isn't an option, but it would be my favorite. All things would be even just like in the first 60 minutes.

Pappy

Trade 20 & 119 to Tampa for 26/57

1.26 - Graham Barton, OC/G, Duke
    2.51 - Xavier Leggette, WR, South Carolina
    2.57 - Braden Fiske, DT, FSU
    3.84 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    3.98 - T'Vondre Sweat, DT, Texas
    7.178 - Joe Milton III, QB, Tennessee
    7.195 - Omar Speights, LB, LSU

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

As soon as a sb goes to ot, the rule will change. Mark it down
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ion1/sn1-1.jpg http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ns_44958-1.jpg
    South End Zone...Screaming My Head Off...Every Game! 111 consecutive and counting.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerNation1
    As soon as a sb goes to ot, the rule will change. Mark it down
    i agree, that would definetly bring a rule change. one thing is certain there should never be any ties in an nfl game or any other sport.