Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Visit Thread

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Official Visit Thread

Id like for this to be a sticky if possible so we can keep track of all the visitors like we did last year at the Trib. Perhaps give us an idea of who we are looking at.

Post Gazette

The Steelers today also entertained Penn State center A.Q. Shipley, whose visit does not count against their 30-man limit of college players because he is from Moon. Last week, the Steelers entertained two Pitt players, linebacker Scott McKillop and center C.J. Davis.
    So far we have.

Official
    C Alex Mack (round 1)
    CB Vontae Davis (round 1)
    CB Alphonso Smith (round 1-2)
    C Max Unger (round 1-2)
    S Louis Delmas (round 2)
    DE Jarron Gilbert (round 2)
    G Andy Levitre (round 2-3)
    DT Fili Moala (round 2-3)
    OT Phil Loadholt (round 2-3)
    CB Sherrod Martin (round 2-3)
    LB Lawrence Sidbury (round 2-3)
    OG Herman Johnson (round 3)
    NT Dorrell Scott (round 3)
    DT Sammie Lee Hill (round 3-4)
    TE Richard Quinn (round 4)
    CB Joe Burnett (round 4-5)
    WR/RS Mike Thomas (round 4-5)
    QB Nate Davis (Round 5)
    CB Donald Washington (Round 5-6)
    G Louis Vasquez (round 5-6)
    DT Ra'Shon Harris (round 6-7)
    FB Frank Summers (round 7 or FA)
    CB Don Carey (round 7 or FA)
    WR Jason Chery (round 7 or FA)
    LB Spence Adkins (round 7 or FA)
    WR Travis Shelton
    DE Brandon Long

Rumor
    DT Ron Brace (round 2)
    CB Keenan Lewis (round 2-3)
    CB Mike Mickens (round 2-3)
    C/G Eric Wood (round 2-3)
    G Tyronne Green (round 3-4)
    CB Tony Carter (round 7 or FA)
    CB Greg Toler (FA)

Non 30 Visit
    C A.Q. Shipley (round 4)
    LB Scot Mckillop (round 4-5)
    C C.J. Davis (round 5-6)
    CB Ellis Lankster (round 7 or FA)
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Official Visit Thread

Eric Wood is set to visit

[url="http://profootball.scout.com/2/849585.html"]http://profootball.scout.com/2/849585.html[/url]

When you play in a hard-nosed division like the AFC North, a division that’s known for it’s rushing attacks, adding physical, athletic lineman up front is critical. So, it’s no surprise that three of the four teams in the division are after the same interior force. A source told Scout.com that the Pittsburgh Steelers, Cincinnati Bengals and Cleveland Browns will entertain Louisville C Eric Wood over the next few weeks.

Steelers offensive line coach Larry Zierlein will fly to Louisville and conduct a private workout with Wood on April 6th, the Bengals will host Wood at their facility on April 14th and the Browns will do the same on April 15th.

A four-year starter at center for Louisville, the 6-foot-4, 310-pound Wood holds the school-record for most consecutive starts at 49. His durability and ability to dominate in the trenches has been noticed during his career and especially during the draft process. To expand Wood’s draft horizons even further, teams have been exploring the possibility of moving him to guard, which makes him more versatile.

One of the nation's premier centers, Wood has received plenty of attention as a guard.
    Al Messerschmidt/Getty

During a recent Q&A with Scout.com, Wood was asked about what position he preferred to play at the next level and he said, “It doesn’t really matter. I feel comfortable at both positions right now. I’ve been working a lot at guard, since I haven’t had as much experience at it. But the way I look at it, there’s probably a two-third’s chance I’m going to play guard next season. The fact is that there’re twice as many guard spots as there are center spots. I’m going to do all that I can to make a team and play as early as possible. I want to start from Day One, that’s my goal; wherever that may be, I’m going to have that same goal in mind.”

The offensive line is the most important aspect on a football team, and it’s become the in vogue area to upgrade through the draft. Over the last couple of years, the offensive tackle position has been among the most popular to address on draft day, but the interior portion of the line is equally important, and teams are open to using an early pick on a guard or center.

The Steelers have depth issues on their offensive line, an offensive line that allowed their franchise quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger, to be sacked 48 times last season. Drafting an offensive lineman with the 32nd overall pick seems to be the direction the Steelers are going to take on draft day. Wood’s draft status over the last two months has ascended dramatically, and he could find his way into the latter part of the first round, possibly being selected by the Steelers.

In the Q&A with Scout.com, Wood stated, “I could see myself on a tough natured team like the Steelers.” He could also see himself on one of the two other teams he’ll meet with, since he was born in Ohio.

The Browns and Bengals hold the fifth and sixth picks respectively in the first round, but if Wood happens to fall out of the opening frame, it’s possible one of the teams will take him in the second round, as the Browns own the 36th pick, and the Bengals have the 38th pick.

The Browns added some depth on their offensive line during free agency with the signings of John St. Clair and Floyd Womack, but they could use more depth and youth. The Bengals have serious concerns up front, after they allowed unrestricted free agent OT Stacy Andrews to sign with the Philadelphia Eagles, and they haven’t shown much interest in retaining their starting center Eric Ghiaciuc, who’s also an unrestricted free agent.
    Interestingly enough, Wood is from Cincinnati and was a die-hard Bengals fan growing up.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Legend

User Info Menu

Actually, Wood will not count against our 30 visits, since Coach Perv is headed down to conduct a private workout with him in Louisville (he will count as an official visit for our orange-rivals though, since he is scheduled to visit both Cleveland and Cincinnati). I think that Mack is the only center with a first round grade, and Wood will not last to the bottom of the second round, so I am glad that we are not using one of our visits on him. I don't mind that we are sending the o-line coach to his place to give him a closer look, because you never know...the kid could slide unexpectedly in the second round and we might target him if we decide to go d-line or CB in round 1.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Actually, Wood will not count against our 30 visits, since Coach Perv is headed down to conduct a private workout with him in Louisville (he will count as an official visit for our orange-rivals though, since he is scheduled to visit both Cleveland and Cincinnati). I think that Mack is the only center with a first round grade, and Wood will not last to the bottom of the second round, so I am glad that we are not using one of our visits on him. I don't mind that we are sending the o-line coach to his place to give him a closer look, because you never know...the kid could slide unexpectedly in the second round and we might target him if we decide to go d-line or CB in round 1.
    I agree that he isn't a first round round, and also agree that he won't make it to the end of the second. I think it makes sense to kick the tires here. If the options the Steelers like at 1.32 are gone, they could trade back a few spots, take Wood, and save the expense of paying a first round pick. Or, the Steelers could also be thinking of packaging picks to move up in the second to grab Wood. Perhaps he slips past the Bengals and Browns and is sitting there mid-second -- it could make a lot of sense for the Steelers to make a move, especially if the other centers are off the board.

Legend

User Info Menu

Joe Burnett, CB and Returner from UCF is coming April 1.

Philadelphia Eagles cornerback Asante Samuel was drafted by the New England Patriots in the fourth round of the 2003 NFL Draft out of the University of Central Florida. And now the Patriots are checking out another talented cornerback out of UCF by the name of Joe Burnett, a player of such high interest to them that head coach Bill Belichick made the trip to Florida to watch Burnett during a private workout on March 19, as first reported at Scout.com by Charlie Bernstein at our UCF site.

Burnett told Scout.com during a recent phone interview that he had already completed a workout for the Cleveland Browns on March 12, and he has an official visit scheduled with the Pittsburgh Steelers on April 1. At the Combine, he had formal interviews with the New Orleans Saints, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Jacksonville Jaguars, and the Indianapolis Colts.

In addition to his skills as a cornerback, Burnett led Conference USA in both punt returns average (14.54 yards) and kickoff returns average (28.65 yards). He also finished in the top ten nationally in both categories.

Burnett had toyed with the thought of declaring early and entering the draft after his junior season, but said that returning for his final year was definitely the best decision.

"One of the highlights that I'm most proud of is that I graduated, and that's the best feeling I've ever had, better than running touchdowns back or catching an interception," he said.

And now that it's time for Burnett to move on and pursue his NFL dream, he's ready to make an impact at the next level.

"I think I'm a great cornerback who can cover from all positions and who can recognize routes. I'm a really good bump-and-run cornerback who has seen a lot of schemes, who adjusts well and is able to learn quickly," he said. "They're going to get a very versatile guy who can play corner, play in the slot, and who can also handle returns."
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Joe Burnett, CB and Returner from UCF is coming April 1.

Philadelphia Eagles cornerback Asante Samuel was drafted by the New England Patriots in the fourth round of the 2003 NFL Draft out of the University of Central Florida. And now the Patriots are checking out another talented cornerback out of UCF by the name of Joe Burnett, a player of such high interest to them that head coach Bill Belichick made the trip to Florida to watch Burnett during a private workout on March 19, as first reported at Scout.com by Charlie Bernstein at our UCF site.

Burnett told Scout.com during a recent phone interview that he had already completed a workout for the Cleveland Browns on March 12, and he has an official visit scheduled with the Pittsburgh Steelers on April 1. At the Combine, he had formal interviews with the New Orleans Saints, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Jacksonville Jaguars, and the Indianapolis Colts.

In addition to his skills as a cornerback, Burnett led Conference USA in both punt returns average (14.54 yards) and kickoff returns average (28.65 yards). He also finished in the top ten nationally in both categories.

Burnett had toyed with the thought of declaring early and entering the draft after his junior season, but said that returning for his final year was definitely the best decision.

"One of the highlights that I'm most proud of is that I graduated, and that's the best feeling I've ever had, better than running touchdowns back or catching an interception," he said.

And now that it's time for Burnett to move on and pursue his NFL dream, he's ready to make an impact at the next level.

"I think I'm a great cornerback who can cover from all positions and who can recognize routes. I'm a really good bump-and-run cornerback who has seen a lot of schemes, who adjusts well and is able to learn quickly," he said. "They're going to get a very versatile guy who can play corner, play in the slot, and who can also handle returns."
    Nice. Good mid-round option as a nickel/dime CB prospect and quality return guy as well. I would prefer this to using our first round pick on an Alphonso Smith or Darius Butler type, since I think we have more pressing needs in the trenches on both sides of the ball than we do at corner. I hope it is not an April Fool's joke.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

kffl.com

Steelers | Burnett will visit
    Mon, 23 Mar 2009 11:39:44 -0700

Ed Thompson, of Scout.com, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers will meet with Central Florida CB Joe Burnett Wednesday, April 1.

EDIT: Sorry Ruthless/Oviedo didn't see your post until after I posted this.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

So far we have.

Official
    LB Scot Mckillop
    C C.J. Davis
    C A.Q. Shipley

Rumor
    CB Keenan Lewis
    CB Joe Burnett
    C Alex Mack
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by calmkiller
    So far we have.

Official
    LB Scot Mckillop
    C C.J. Davis
    C A.Q. Shipley

Rumor
    CB Keenan Lewis
    CB Joe Burnett
    C Alex Mack
    Actually, the 3 that you have listed as "official" don't even count toward our maximum of 30 visits, since they are all local guys (the first two went to Pitt and therefore train at the same facility as the Steelers and the other one grew up in Moon Township)

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by calmkiller
    So far we have.

Official
    LB Scot Mckillop
    C C.J. Davis
    C A.Q. Shipley

Rumor
    CB Keenan Lewis
    CB Joe Burnett
    C Alex Mack
    Actually, the 3 that you have listed as "official" don't even count toward our maximum of 30 visits, since they are all local guys (the first two went to Pitt and therefore train at the same facility as the Steelers and the other one grew up in Moon Township)
    indeed but they are the only ones so far to actually have visited the facility. I will rephrase it for better understanding in my next summary.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!