Thread: Interesting...

Legend

User Info Menu

Interesting...

Hmm...watch this with interest....

BILLS, PETERS STILL WAY APART ON A NEW DEAL
    Posted by Mike Florio on March 13, 2009, 12:02 p.m.
    Bills tackle Jason Peters wanted a new contract last year.

He still wants one.

After ending a lengthy holdout in 2008, the team and the starting left tackle have yet to get together on a new deal. According to the Buffalo News, the two sides are more than $3 million per year apart.

Peters still has two years left on his current deal; he’s due to receive a salary of $3.8 million in 2009 and $3.4 million in 2010.

Panthers tackle Jordan Gross recently signed a six-year contract averaging $10 million per season. Peters presumably wants something in that same ballpark.

As Mark Gaughan of the News points out, the Bills could opt to trade Peters, who at 27 still has several years of significant production remaining.

Permalink | 7 Comments Back to Top

Read this on 3 sites now- not just PFT.

Pervy Z coached this guy from college TE to a pretty good LT. He could solve a lot of problems...
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Cooper DeJean CB
    2. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Blake Fisher OT
    3. Mason McCormick OC
    4. Cedric Gray ILB
    6. Jaden Crumedy DT
    6. Tahj Washington WR

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Re: Interesting...

a player like that....what do you think it would take to get a trade done?

Starter

User Info Menu

He's their James Harrison. Undrafted. Cut, joined the practice squad. Playing for peanuts. Been to 2 Pro Browls. Looking for a big contract.

What if we traded?

We could then use #32 overall on a OLB like Larry English or Clint Sintim, giving us the opportunity to finally land a top notch LT in which we'll never be able to do in the draft.

Harrison is also 5 years older than Peters, who (Peters) is barely entering his prime. Bills are definitely the type of team to pull this kind of trade off.

Especially when it was the 3rd string Silverback who knocked them out of playoff contention a few years back. lol

It would be tough to do. But you can't expect to give up peanuts for an all pro. It'll take a James Harrison. Although they may need a RB now with Lynch possibly on the block.
    "That's just Ben being Superman" -John Madden, Super Bowl XLIII

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WoodleyofTroy
    He's their James Harrison. Undrafted. Cut, joined the practice squad. Playing for peanuts. Been to 2 Pro Browls. Looking for a big contract.

What if we traded?

We could then use #32 overall on a OLB like Larry English or Clint Sintim, giving us the opportunity to finally land a top notch LT in which we'll never be able to do in the draft.

Harrison is also 5 years older than Peters, who (Peters) is barely entering his prime. Bills are definitely the type of team to pull this kind of trade off.

Especially when it was the 3rd string Silverback who knocked them out of playoff contention a few years back. lol

It would be tough to do. But you can't expect to give up peanuts for an all pro. It'll take a James Harrison. Although they may need a RB now with Lynch possibly on the block.
    then i'd have to say...bye bye willie parker.

Legend

User Info Menu

Peters had a major regression this past season. Even though he made the Pro Bowl (?!?!), he was tied with a rookie who was a reach as a frist round pick for the most sacks given up by a LT last season, and he did it in 3 less starts than Duane Brown.

LT

1. Ryan Clady (Broncos) 0.5 sacks allowed (16 starts)
    2. Michael Roos (Titans) 1.0 sacks allowed (16 starts) *PRO-BOWL*
    3. Tra Thomas (Eagles) 2.0 sacks allowed (16 starts)
    3. Orlando Pace (Rams) 2.0 sacks allowed (14 starts)
    5. Jake Long (Dolphins) 2.5 sacks allowed (16 starts)
    6. Jordan Gross (Panthers) 3.0 sacks allowed (15 starts) *PRO-BOWL*
    6. Jammal Brown (Saints) 3.0 sacks allowed (15 starts)
    6. Jared Gaither (Ravens) 3.0 sacks allowed (15 starts)
    6. Marcus McNeill (Chargers) 3.0 sacks allowed (14 starts)
    6. Tony Ugoh (Colts) 3.0 sacks allowed (12 starts)
    6. Chris Samuels (Redskins) 3.0 sacks allowed (12 starts) *PRO-BOWL*
    6. Todd Weiner (Falcons) 3.0 sacks allowed (11 starts)
    13. Walter Jones (Seahawks) 3.5 sacks allowed (12 starts) *PRO-BOWL*
    14. D’Brickashaw Ferguson (Jets) 4.0 sacks allowed (16 starts)
    14. Bryant McKinnie (Vikings) 4.0 sacks allowed (12 starts)
    14. Max Starks (Steelers) 4.0 sacks allowed (11 starts)
    17. Joe Thomas (Browns) 4.5 sacks allowed (16 starts) *PRO-BOWL*
    17. Branden Albert (Cheifs) 4.5 sacks allowed (15 starts)
    19. Levi Brown (Bengals) 5.5 sacks allowed (11 starts)
    20. Mike Gandy (Cardinals) 6.25 sacks allowed (16 starts)
    21. David Diehl (Giants) 6.5 sacks allowed (16 starts)
    22. Flozell Adams (Cowboys) 7.25 sacks allowed (16 starts)
    23. Khalif Barnes (Jags) 7.5 sacks allowed (16 starts)
    23. Matt Light (Pats) 7.5 sacks allowed (16 starts)
    23. Chad Clifton (Packers) 7.5 sacks allowed (15 starts)
    23. Kwame Harris (Raiders) 7.5 sacks allowed (11 starts)
    27. Joe Staley (49ers) 8.5 sacks allowed (16 starts)
    28. Donald Penn (Bucs) 8.5 sacks allowed (16 starts)
    29. Jeff Backus (Lions) 9.25 sacks allowed (16 starts)
    30. John St. Clair (Bears) 9.75 sacks allowed (16 starts)
    31. Duane Brown (Texans) 11.5 sacks allowed (16 starts)
    31. Jason Peters (Bills) 11.5 sacks allowed (13 starts) *PRO-BOWL*

Perhaps it was due to his holdout last year, missing the entire off-season program, training camp, and the preseason in a contract dispute. And perhaps he could return to his prior form by re-uniting with Zeirlein. All that I would be willing to trade for him would be Max Starks straight up. Since Peters apparently doesn't want to sign a long-term deal in Buffalo, perhaps he will be willing to sign one in Pittsburgh. Since Starks apparently doesn't want to sign a long-term deal in Pittsburgh, perhaps he will be willing to sign one in Buffalo.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johnstownsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodleyofTroy

What if we traded?

then i'd have to say...bye bye willie parker.
    who also knocked the bills out of the playoff race a few years back. That being said, I still don't know why so many people want to get rid of Willie Parker with nothing more than an above average and aging Memo and a rook who only proved that he gets hurt and fumbles a lot. Not trying to divert the thread, but RM hasn't proven himself at all yet.

Legend

User Info Menu

who also knocked the bills out of the playoff race a few years back. That being said, I still don't know why so many people want to get rid of Willie Parker with nothing more than an above average and aging Memo and a rook who only proved that he gets hurt and fumbles a lot. Not trying to divert the thread, but RM hasn't proven himself at all yet.
    Right, but that doesn't mean it won't happen. RBs lasting a long time are rare compared to how many there are. He is a highly desireable pick-up for most teams and we have a stock pile of good or projected to be good RBs in our stable.

It's a gamble (one I'm not sure I would take), but one that some guys would take.

Put it this way: Would you trade Mendenhall for a great, young, proven LT?
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan
    Right, but that doesn't mean it won't happen. RBs lasting a long time are rare compared to how many there are. He is a highly desireable pick-up for most teams and we have a stock pile of good or projected to be good RBs in our stable.

It's a gamble (one I'm not sure I would take), but one that some guys would take.

I'd trade Mendenhall and Max Starks for Ryan Clady. Someone call Denver.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by Djfan

I'd trade Mendenhall and Max Starks for Ryan Clady. Someone call Denver.
    I dont know that I would. We still dont know Mendenhalls true potential and FWP is, in reality, on his last legs. Might just be switching one problem for another. Now FWP and FattMaxx for Clady is a different story!
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Peters had a major regression this past season. Even though he made the Pro Bowl (?!?!), he was tied with a rookie who was a reach as a frist round pick for the most sacks given up by a LT last season, and he did it in 3 less starts than Duane Brown.

LT

1. Ryan Clady (Broncos) 0.5 sacks allowed (16 starts)
    2. Michael Roos (Titans) 1.0 sacks allowed (16 starts) *PRO-BOWL*
    3. Tra Thomas (Eagles) 2.0 sacks allowed (16 starts)
    3. Orlando Pace (Rams) 2.0 sacks allowed (14 starts)
    5. Jake Long (Dolphins) 2.5 sacks allowed (16 starts)
    6. Jordan Gross (Panthers) 3.0 sacks allowed (15 starts) *PRO-BOWL*
    6. Jammal Brown (Saints) 3.0 sacks allowed (15 starts)
    6. Jared Gaither (Ravens) 3.0 sacks allowed (15 starts)
    6. Marcus McNeill (Chargers) 3.0 sacks allowed (14 starts)
    6. Tony Ugoh (Colts) 3.0 sacks allowed (12 starts)
    6. Chris Samuels (Redskins) 3.0 sacks allowed (12 starts) *PRO-BOWL*
    6. Todd Weiner (Falcons) 3.0 sacks allowed (11 starts)
    13. Walter Jones (Seahawks) 3.5 sacks allowed (12 starts) *PRO-BOWL*
    14. D’Brickashaw Ferguson (Jets) 4.0 sacks allowed (16 starts)
    14. Bryant McKinnie (Vikings) 4.0 sacks allowed (12 starts)
    14. Max Starks (Steelers) 4.0 sacks allowed (11 starts)
    17. Joe Thomas (Browns) 4.5 sacks allowed (16 starts) *PRO-BOWL*
    17. Branden Albert (Cheifs) 4.5 sacks allowed (15 starts)
    19. Levi Brown (Bengals) 5.5 sacks allowed (11 starts)
    20. Mike Gandy (Cardinals) 6.25 sacks allowed (16 starts)
    21. David Diehl (Giants) 6.5 sacks allowed (16 starts)
    22. Flozell Adams (Cowboys) 7.25 sacks allowed (16 starts)
    23. Khalif Barnes (Jags) 7.5 sacks allowed (16 starts)
    23. Matt Light (Pats) 7.5 sacks allowed (16 starts)
    23. Chad Clifton (Packers) 7.5 sacks allowed (15 starts)
    23. Kwame Harris (Raiders) 7.5 sacks allowed (11 starts)
    27. Joe Staley (49ers) 8.5 sacks allowed (16 starts)
    28. Donald Penn (Bucs) 8.5 sacks allowed (16 starts)
    29. Jeff Backus (Lions) 9.25 sacks allowed (16 starts)
    30. John St. Clair (Bears) 9.75 sacks allowed (16 starts)
    31. Duane Brown (Texans) 11.5 sacks allowed (16 starts)
    31. Jason Peters (Bills) 11.5 sacks allowed (13 starts) *PRO-BOWL*

Perhaps it was due to his holdout last year, missing the entire off-season program, training camp, and the preseason in a contract dispute. And perhaps he could return to his prior form by re-uniting with Zeirlein. All that I would be willing to trade for him would be Max Starks straight up. Since Peters apparently doesn't want to sign a long-term deal in Buffalo, perhaps he will be willing to sign one in Pittsburgh. Since Starks apparently doesn't want to sign a long-term deal in Pittsburgh, perhaps he will be willing to sign one in Buffalo.
    Is that stat right? Has 2 B, since it profiles every LT in the league. If you can't make a deal, Pace is on the open market and he probably has more mileage than Marvel has left.

The deal? Starks and FWP for Peters and their 2nd and 4th Round picks.

Starks and FWP are both UFA after next season. Peters is disgruntled, but you'd only be raising him about US$1.5M over what you were paying Max. If you use the 1st to draft Mack and the Buffalo 2nd to get Robinson, the OL could be set for the next three years at least. If the Steelers could pull that off, the rest of the draft could be BPA from here to next year.
    Steelers...On The STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...etsteelfk7.jpg
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!