Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leftwich?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Leftwich?

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    What teams needs a starter? With Cassell going to KC the most obvious is filled. The only other possibilities are the Jets and 49ers and I doubt either will give Leftwich starters money.

Leftwich needs to just understand where he is in his career and embrace a role with the Steelers where he gets to share in the glory.

The Bears could use a starter? Maybe Minnesota?

I think Lefty will get picked up after the draft, someone will have not gotten the guy they wanted and Byron will be there. He played awfully well in spot duty last year to not get a look from some of those teams that didn't get the guy they were hoping for.
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinjim
    What teams needs a starter? With Cassell going to KC the most obvious is filled. The only other possibilities are the Jets and 49ers and I doubt either will give Leftwich starters money.

Leftwich needs to just understand where he is in his career and embrace a role with the Steelers where he gets to share in the glory.

I think Lefty will get picked up after the draft, someone will have not gotten the guy they wanted and Byron will be there. He played awfully well in spot duty last year to not get a look from some of those teams that didn't get the guy they were hoping for.
    Minnesota just traded for Sage Rosenfels.

Starter

User Info Menu

it'll be nice if no one goes after him and he just wants to stay with us...the only thing is, that may inhibit the growth of dennis dixon and what would we do with charlie batch? i think that leftwich will go elsewhere however...teams are always looking for veteran QB's to compete with young guys
    "The standard is the standard" Mike Tomlin

ray

Lefty said that he was happy here so IMO if he can't get a guaranteed starting position elsewhere, he may be back. It all depends on how much $$$ he would accept to be Ben's backup. If same amount as Charlie and for say 3 years, the Steelers would probably sign Lefty and cut Charlie. As far as Boyd is concerned, as long as Ben's career isn't cut short, he probably won't be here long as he'll want to seek the opportunity to play somewhere.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Quote Originally Posted by ramblinjim

Minnesota just traded for Sage Rosenfels.
    Like he said, Minnesota could use a starter.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mshifko
    it'll be nice if no one goes after him and he just wants to stay with us...the only thing is, that may inhibit the growth of dennis dixon and what would we do with charlie batch? i think that leftwich will go elsewhere however...teams are always looking for veteran QB's to compete with young guys
    no offense, but I couldn't give a crap about dixon. if we could sign lefty to a 3 year deal or so to be that ace in the hole, veteran, game-winning QB behind ben, I'd be stoked.

at this point, he's all sorts of healthy and will be possibly the best backup in the league. the way ben gets knocked around, he should be a priority to be signed. Batch is getting so long in the tooth, his mouthguard doesn't fit anymore.

Legend

User Info Menu

Both Leftwich and Batch are UFA's right now, so if they re-sign Leftwich, they don't have to do anything with Batch. He is not signed to a contract with the Steelers right now either, so he would be free to sign anywhere he wants or retire if we decide to go with a QB depth chart of Roethlisberger-Leftwich-Dixon. Leftwich could be the second coming of Batch. Both were considered to be franchise QB's for their respective teams and signed huge contracts before getting surprisingly cut. They both came to Pittsburgh in their late 20's, so we figured that they would likely go elsewhere to compete for a starting gig after a short time here because they were just entering what should be the prime years for an NFL QB. Batch decided to stick around long-term when he found that the opportunities out on the open market weren't all they were cracked up to be, primarily because he is a Homestead native and he could help out in his community while playing for his hometown team. Leftwich may decide to stick around long-term when he finds that the opportunities out on the open market weren't all they were cracked up to be, primarily because he really enjoyed his experience here, likes his coaches, works well with Ben, has the opportunity to win, and may get substantial playing time as the back-up to a guy who takes a lot of risks beyond an offensive line that tends to give up a lot of sacks.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelcityrules!!
    no offense, but I couldn't give a crap about dixon. if we could sign lefty to a 3 year deal or so to be that ace in the hole, veteran, game-winning QB behind ben, I'd be stoked.

at this point, he's all sorts of healthy and will be possibly the best backup in the league. the way ben gets knocked around, he should be a priority to be signed. Batch is getting so long in the tooth, his mouthguard doesn't fit anymore.
    I don't think there is any way that Lefty signs a long term deal with us. I think if he can't find anything we should offer him another 1 year deal. It'd be a good deal for him because he's got to know that he'll see action in at least 3 or 4 games. If you're a backup looking for a starting job, being behind the most sacked QB in the league can't hurt. For the same reason, we need a good backup.