Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Without Question, Carson Palmer Is a Better Quarterback than

Rookie

User Info Menu

Re: Without Question, Carson Palmer Is a Better Quarterback than

Jom112 wrote:

I'd go with Carson. It's based on many things though. I mean I watch Carson and read a lot more on him, so I have a lot of respect for what he does for the Team, not just his play on Sundays.

When you're constantly reading things such has how he brings the receivers to Cali in the offseason to train with him (He recently put up Henry and his family in his house to help him develop). Henry, Caldwell, Simpson and TJ have all been training with him. Chad used to but stopped about two seasons ago because he's too busy, now look how Chad's doing.

There is more to a QB then just some stats that a 20 year old is going to post. If you guys had Carson, I'm sure you guys would feel the same way about him. As I'm sure you do about Ben, because of all he does for your team...
    Jom112 - It's great that you are president of the Carson Palmer Fan Club, but Palmer is not paid to be Mr. Wonderful during the off-season. He's paid to win football games on Sunday. He has yet to live up to those expectations.

Ben does all of what Palmer does and more. By the way, he has found a way to win games on Sundays. It's a no brainer - Ben wins....and wins...and wins.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think Carson is a helluva QB. He's just had to take several steps backwards because of the god-awful organization he plays for. No offense to Jom, who is quite frankly in the pantheon of Cool Bengals Fans. I only know one other. They are rare.

The fact that Marvin Lewis is still the coach there just kills me. I think that if Carson could've steadily improved with a team, opposed to that roller coaster in Cinci he'd easily be considered a top 5 QB w/o hesitation. I'm surprised he hasn't begged for a trade yet.

Maybe that John Morrell Sausage money is too much to give up...

Better than Ben? I dunno, different than Ben, that's for sure. I still want Big Ben in the black and gold and no one else.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben absolutely carried the team on his shoulders to get into his first Superbowl. His playoff run was amazing but we all have to agree that it WAS the defense that won the first Superbowl, not Ben's play. So parts of this guy's arguments could be valid, but the sum total is that Ben has found ways to make plays and for the same reasons we grind our teeth about him (holds the ball too long) are the reasons he wins in the clutch. Consider these stats:

QB Rating Playing from Behind:
    B. Roethlisberger: 90.9
    C. Palmer: 76.3

But it is really the stat below that is amazing because when you are playing with no margin for error, a bad play easily ends up as a loss:

Playing from 1 - 8 pts behind:
    B. Roethlisberger: 119.4
    C. Palmer: 74.3

So where does Palmer really shine? The numbers below are telling. He excels when the games are out of reach and in catch up mode:

QB Rating:
    ATTEMPTS 1-THROUGH-10 CP= 39.4 BB= 69.6
    ATTEMPTS 11-THROUGH-20 CP= 79.0 BB= 95.9
    ATTEMPTS 21-THROUGH-30 CP= 67.7 BB= 73.7
    ATTEMPTS 31+ CP= 114.8 BB= 81.2

(BTW, it was interesting to note that both QBs take time to 'warm up' as evidenced by attempts 1-10, or this could be a case of taking high risk chances down the field early.)

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan
    We need to reinstate MSM for this thread.

Where is MSM anyway?

Legend

User Info Menu

Was Marino better than Montana? Better than Elway? Better than Young? Aikmen?

Those who have said that different systems create different QB's are right- not all QB's will succeed in every team, simnply becuase the mechanics of each organisation is different.

Is Ben better or worse than Palmer? Peyton? Eli? Jay Cutler? Brady? Brees?

All these guys could probably make some claim to being the 'best', or 'better' than the others on the list.

But would they ALL succeed in Pittsburgh? New England? Denver? Indy? New Orleans? Cincinatti?

Given the EXACT SAME SITUATIONS- only THEN could you honestly tell who is 'best'.

Of course, you'd then have to take into consideration weather conditions, game conditions....

Let's just agree that both Ben & Carson are pretty damn good.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Starter

User Info Menu

Wow. Great analysis by Ryan Michael. After all that he wrote, it is painfully obvious.

Ben Roethlisberger is the better quarterback.

Scoreboard - XL and XLIII

Carson Palmer needs to stick to eating hot dogs with eye black on.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    Was Marino better than Montana? Better than Elway? Better than Young? Aikmen?

Those who have said that different systems create different QB's are right- not all QB's will succeed in every team, simnply becuase the mechanics of each organisation is different.

Is Ben better or worse than Palmer? Peyton? Eli? Jay Cutler? Brady? Brees?

All these guys could probably make some claim to being the 'best', or 'better' than the others on the list.

But would they ALL succeed in Pittsburgh? New England? Denver? Indy? New Orleans? Cincinatti?

Given the EXACT SAME SITUATIONS- only THEN could you honestly tell who is 'best'.

Of course, you'd then have to take into consideration weather conditions, game conditions....

Let's just agree that both Ben & Carson are pretty damn good.

86 is better yet.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast
    Ben absolutely carried the team on his shoulders to get into his first Superbowl. His playoff run was amazing but we all have to agree that it WAS the defense that won the first Superbowl, not Ben's play. So parts of this guy's arguments could be valid, but the sum total is that Ben has found ways to make plays and for the same reasons we grind our teeth about him (holds the ball too long) are the reasons he wins in the clutch. Consider these stats:

But it is really the stat below that is amazing because when you are playing with no margin for error, a bad play easily ends up as a loss:

Playing from 1 - 8 pts behind:
    B. Roethlisberger: 119.4
    C. Palmer: 74.3

So where does Palmer really shine? The numbers below are telling. He excels when the games are out of reach and in catch up mode:

QB Rating:
    ATTEMPTS 1-THROUGH-10 CP= 39.4 BB= 69.6
    ATTEMPTS 11-THROUGH-20 CP= 79.0 BB= 95.9
    ATTEMPTS 21-THROUGH-30 CP= 67.7 BB= 73.7
    ATTEMPTS 31+ CP= 114.8 BB= 81.2

(BTW, it was interesting to note that both QBs take time to 'warm up' as evidenced by attempts 1-10, or this could be a case of taking high risk chances down the field early.)

Ben plays better when he is losing.....that is the difference between Ben and every other QB they try to compare him to.....
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Scarletfire1970
    Quote Originally Posted by Djfan
    We need to reinstate MSM for this thread.

Where is MSM anyway?
    [url]http://steelerstrong.proboards.com/index.cgi[/url]
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]