Thread: Ben: Master of the two minute drill

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Ben: Master of the two minute drill

Note that this was written prior to the SB

[url="http://bleacherreport.com/articles/93750-ben-roethlisberger-master-of-the-two-minute-drill"]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/9375 ... nute-drill[/url]

Seventeen. That's how many game winning drives Ben Roethlisberger has engineered in his short five-year career. That also makes four this season alone. There is no doubt Big Ben can step up in the clutch and deliver.

Sure, Johnny U invented the two minute drill, but Ben Roethlisberger has mastered it. No other QB in the league today can bring his team back as consistently as Roethlisberger.

On the final drive of Sunday's game at Baltimore, Roethlisberger and the Steelers started at their own eight yard line, and drove 92 yards for the game winning TD to Santonio Holmes. Roethlisberger went 7-11 for 89 on that drive alone.

And here's another interesting stat: Roethlisberger got more first downs (seven) on that final drive alone than in the rest of the game (six). That's stepping up in the clutch.

In fact, Roethlisberger's great fourth quarter play has been a recurring theme over the past few weeks. The Steelers have outscored their opponent 37-0 in the fourth quarter their last three games combined. The zero in that stat can be credited to the defense, along with six of the points, but the rest has been great play from Roethlisberger in particular.

Here are Roethlisberger's fourth quarter stats over the past three games:

Roethlisberger has thrown 18 completions on 29 attempts for 207 yards and two scores. And probably one of the most important stats: zero INTs. That's just in the fourth quarter alone of the past three games. And those are stats for just three total quarters of play, which if you really think about it is pretty good.

In a season when the Steelers have had a less productive running game than in previous years, and with such a strong defense, it really helps out when your QB can finish like Roethlisberger can.

And without any of his great comebacks this season, the Steelers would be 7-7.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Ben: Master of the two minute drill

good stuff.

but i've also noticed, ben doesn't do a great job in managing the clock. he can come back, but he needs clock + timeouts/

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy
    good stuff.

but i've also noticed, ben doesn't do a great job in managing the clock. he can come back, but he needs clock + timeouts/
    I think he does. But then again, I get to watch alot of the Eagles games living out here in Philly and get to see McNabb and Reid butcher the 2 minute drill time and time again.

Backup

User Info Menu

good stuff.

I don't watch other Qb's as closely as Ben so maybe most of them do the same but It seems like he is always looking to the sideline for someone to make the descision to spike the ball or take a timeout. It's all good though....Ben is the MAN.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelHead
    good stuff.

I don't watch other Qb's as closely as Ben so maybe most of them do the same but It seems like he is always looking to the sideline for someone to make the descision to spike the ball or take a timeout. It's all good though....Ben is the MAN.
    The coach IS supposed to make that decision.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    good stuff.

aahh. So it all comes back to the ineptness of our overpaid janitor coach is what you are saying.....

et tu strlz d?

Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MeetJoeGreene
    Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    good stuff.

aahh. So it all comes back to the ineptness of our overpaid janitor coach is what you are saying.....

et tu strlz d?

Not at all!

Ben knows Tomlin makes the decision on when to use a time out or when to spike. That's good coaching! :P