Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why does it seem like its the loot over the...

Backup

User Info Menu

Why does it seem like its the loot over the...

Lombardi...It seems like 99% of players these days (selfishness) choose the money over winning championships. I can't hardly think of anyone staying loyal to a team and taking a few less to stay with their team who has a greater chance at winning it all the next season. (Bettis)
    I would think alot of guys who are getting a little older that haven't won a SB would line up to be with the Steelers, instead you see a guy take 34 million over 5 years instead of taking a Steelers offer for 30 million over the 5 years.
    All well, to all the Faneca's and B-Mac's out there go and play with your 9-7/ 8-8 teams and watch us roll over others when we get to the playoffs each year and fight for another Super Bowl.
    I mean, its not like these guys are going to struggle their still going to be rich and have that chance at a ring. I do know that there are some guys who do take a little less, it just seems like very few these days.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Why does it seem like its the loot over the...

I wonder the same thing. I'm old school I guess.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Backup

User Info Menu

Remember, McFadden, Faneca, Nate, Kemo, Randle El, etc, they got their rings, now its all about the money.

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't think that it is accurate to use Bettis in this argument as he was pretty much washed up and only a short yardage back with one year left in him. He was contemplating retirement before signing up for one more year at the vet min.

As for guys like BMac, I don't really begrudge him whatever he wants to do. He came here, played out his contract, never caused disruption, won a couple of rings, and now his deal is up.

IMO he is entitled to do whatever he wants next. I don't think that he is deciding between an extra $4M over 5 years, I will bet that his offer to leave will be at least $15-$20M more than what he would receive to stay. If that is what he wants, if that will make him happy, then best of luck to him. He was a good Steeler and has earned the right to move on.

Same goes to Marvel, Nate, and anyone else who moves on now that their contract is completed. They have the right to leave, we also have the right to not re-sign them. My problem is with a guy like Faneca who was not getting what he wanted, and sat out even though he was still signed to his $25M contract. He was disruptive and disrespectful to the team who had treated him fairly his entire career. I would have had a lot more respect for him had he simply shut up, played out his final year, shook hands, and left for more money elsewhere.

Starter

User Info Menu

I'm as huge a Steeler fan as you'll find, but I can never fault a player for getting as much money as he can when it comes to the NFL.

With the shelf life of NFL Players being so incredibly short, IMO you have to take advantage of your opportunities. I mean 34 million vs 30 million??? 4 million dollars is a heck of a lot of money!! Especially when only a portion of it is guaranteed!

If Player X signs a 3 year 30 million dollar deal, all we see is 30 million. But when he's cut after a year (like the Raiders just did with Gibril Wilson), that 30 mill is out the window.

Don't get me wrong, i'd love to see guys talk about how they're Steelers for life and will take less to stay here, but that's the fan in me. No matter how you cut it, this is a business to the owners and players, and the ones who don't treat it as such, end up in trouble later on in life.

Legend

User Info Menu

Well, us older fans remember the 70s Steelers staying together, but, only because there really wasn't free agency during that period. Had those teams operated in today's NFL they would have never been able to keep that team together for as long as they did. They would have been seeking a payday in the same fashion that today's player seek fortune.

The NFL career is too short to put an ideal over getting paid. As fans we don't make a living through the Steelers and that makes it easy for us to say, "Oh, I'd stay and play for the Steelers for less than someone else will pay me." The Steelers have been getting it right for a long time. They make fair offers, but, they are not the blockbuster deals that you see around the league.

The personnel department for the Steelers and their coaching staffs have been able to evaluate Steeler talent and determine if it's worth a large contract for a player or not and whether the developing talent behind a starting player is ready to be a starter.

This year,I'm sure that Gay's skillset is under scrutiny as much as Mcfadden's and if they determine that Gay is ready, Mcfadden will not be retained. The same with Washington, they'll determine where Holmes and Sweed are in their development and then they'll decide if they should or should not make an offer to Washington.

It's how the Steelers do things

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Starter

User Info Menu

Well, I think too, that some guys, once they get a ring, honestly have
    the drive to try and challenge themselves someplace else. And, if they
    can get paid a buncho dinero in the process, all the better...
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...URES/NCFAN.jpg

"18 and D'OH!" ---headline on NFL.com 2/5/08

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Lombardis in old man rooney's office don't pay the players bills or set them up, their kids up, their kids kids up, etc. for life. Winning championships is nice but when they are done with football and kicked to the curb at age 35 and have another 30+ years to live then that is where the money comes into play.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh
    Lombardis in old man rooney's office don't pay the players bills or set them up, their kids up, their kids kids up, etc. for life. Winning championships is nice but when they are done with football and kicked to the curb at age 35 and have another 30+ years to live then that is where the money comes into play.
    A SB trophy is like a JD Powers trophy at a fortune 500 company... is that really going to stop you from leaving one company to work at another for 3 times the money?

I bet every Steeler from the 70's would have jumped at FA if they could have...
    it always comes down to the money...
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Championships are nice but if I were in the player's position, I am taking the money. Hopefully, a championship would come a long in the process.