Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NFL Scouting Combine: Arizona coach still isn't over Super l

Legend

User Info Menu

NFL Scouting Combine: Arizona coach still isn't over Super l

NFL Scouting Combine: Arizona coach still isn't over Super loss
    Monday, February 23, 2009
    By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

[url="http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09054/951018-66.stm"]http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09054/951018-66.stm[/url]

INDIANAPOLIS -- It has been three weeks since his team lost in the final 35 seconds in Super Bowl XLIII, 21 days since the Arizona Cardinals nearly completed their improbable run through the NFL playoffs with a comeback victory against the Steelers. And the disappointment is still there for Ken Whisenhunt, refusing to go away and, admittedly, sometimes still keeping him awake at night.

Doesn't matter that the Cardinals made the playoffs for only the second time since 1947. Or that they won the NFC West Division and played host to a playoff game -- two of 'em, actually -- for the first time in 61 years. Or even that, after allowing an average of 41 points in their final three regular-season losses, the Arizona defense began playing like, well, those teams with which Whisenhunt was associated in six seasons with the Steelers.

It didn't even matter that the Cardinals came back from a 20-7 deficit and sliced the NFL's No. 1 defense for 14 points in the fourth quarter.

All Whisenhunt remembers is the outcome.

"It's very hard, just because of what we did to get in there, be on that stage and be so close, especially the way our team came back," said Whisenhunt, Arizona's second-year coach. "At some point, maybe you'll be able to get over that and enjoy what we did, but right now it's still tough. You know how hard it is to get to that game, and to be that close, it's difficult."

There was a nice note from his former employer, Dan Rooney, one of many Whisenhunt received after the Super Bowl. "It meant a lot to me," he said. "Very classy. Not surprising."

Rocco Mediate -- another person who almost slayed the giant -- called him and asked him to be his playing partner in the Pebble Beach National Pro-Am.

And Whisenhunt isn't able to walk anywhere at the NFL Scouting Combine without someone wanting to talk to him, someone stopping him to shake his hand.

But he can't stop thinking about James Harrison's 100-yard interception return at the end of the first half, a play that resulted, in part, from a formation miscue by the Cardinals. Or the final drive in which his former quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger, moved the Steelers 88 yards in seven plays and threw the winning touchdown pass to Santonio Holmes.

"You know, there are a lot of things; that's what keeps you awake the last two weeks, just thinking about things that could have gone differently," Whisenhunt said.

"I thought we were doing some things in that game, all through the first half, that were effective. We were making some plays and moving the ball. But what we were doing is, we had some penalties that put us in first-and-20 a number of times, and we couldn't recover against that because it's very difficult against a defense as good as the Steelers' to do that.

"I never felt like we were in a position where we weren't moving the football. The only time I felt like we needed to go to that [open] style of offense was when we got down, especially when time was running out on us.

"Would I like to have started out the game the way we finished? Yeah. But I think we had a very good plan for that defense. There were just too many mistakes."

Whisenhunt said the whole game changed when quarterback Kurt Warner, on first-and-goal at the Steelers' 1, threw a pass that was intercepted and returned 100 yards for a touchdown by Harrison -- a play that could go down as the greatest individual effort in Super Bowl history. However, Whisenhunt said the play came about because of a mental mistake: Anquan Boldin, the intended receiver, lined too tight to the line of scrimmage, forcing Warner to jam the ball into traffic.

"Obviously, the play at the end of the half was huge," Whisenhunt said. "It was a big swing. But I was proud of our team. They fought back and came back and took the lead at the end of the game.

"We can't lose sight of the fact we got there. That's something our team had never done before. It's quite an accomplishment for the organization and our players, and you have to focus on that because the other stuff will drive you crazy."

For now, it still does.
    Gerry Dulac can be reached at [email="gdulac@post-gazette.com"]gdulac@post-gazette.com[/email].
    First published on February 23, 2009 at 12:00 am

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: NFL Scouting Combine: Arizona coach still isn't over Super l

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer
    Whisenhunt said the whole game changed when quarterback Kurt Warner, on first-and-goal at the Steelers' 1, threw a pass that was intercepted and returned 100 yards for a touchdown by Harrison -- a play that could go down as the greatest individual effort in Super Bowl history. However, Whisenhunt said the play came about because of a mental mistake: Anquan Boldin, the intended receiver, lined too tight to the line of scrimmage, forcing Warner to jam the ball into traffic.
    Yeah. Lord knows, it wasn't because Harrison is that good.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan
    Yeah. Lord knows, it wasn't because Harrison is that good.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This is my fav part!
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

User Info Menu

NFL Scouting Combine: Arizona coach still isn't over Super loss
    Monday, February 23, 2009
    By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

[url="http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09054/951018-66.stm"]http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09054/951018-66.stm[/url]

INDIANAPOLIS -- ...
    Whisenhunt said the whole game changed when quarterback Kurt Warner, on first-and-goal at the Steelers' 1, threw a pass that was intercepted and returned 100 yards for a touchdown by Harrison -- a play that could go down as the greatest individual effort in Super Bowl history. However, Whisenhunt said the play came about because of a mental mistake: Anquan Boldin, the intended receiver, lined too tight to the line of scrimmage, forcing Warner to jam the ball into traffic....
    Gerry Dulac can be reached at [email="gdulac@post-gazette.com"]gdulac@post-gazette.com[/email].
    First published on February 23, 2009 at 12:00 am
    That's a QB error ... don't throw Boldin under the bus, Whiz. Warner could throw the ball away, run and get a half yard, whatever ... nobody put a gun to his head and made him throw. Hey Kurt - don't throw into traffic, you're no Ben Rothlisberger!

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Sounds like someone who doesn't believe he can get back to the big game.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I LOVE IT remember back when they advanced , to me he sounded like a former Steeler coach. Bill Cowher overconfident saying that he wanted the Steelers to advance to play them in Super Bowl as if he just knew he would win. for some kind of revenge factor for the hiring of Tomlin. Now i wonder do he wish different!!!
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Backup

User Info Menu

Harrison's play was the result of 3 circumstances(culled from multiple articles):

1."Anquan Boldin, the intended receiver, lined too tight to the line of scrimmage, forcing Warner to jam the ball into traffic...."

2."We had a play call where we were basically on a max blitz," Harrison said. "Kurt had to get it out, so he had to throw a quick slant in or out, and I guessed on in and basically just shifted out, flowed out, and he threw it straight to me."......"Harrison, the Steelers' right outside linebacker, read the play perfectly and cut in front of Boldin to make the interception at the goal line and take off up the Arizona sideline."

3."I couldn't see him around our linemen and the pressure," Warner said.

To sum up....

Yea, "Q" lined up a little tighter than usual and Warner didn't see him, but, why is that?

Because Harrison "read the play perfectly". That says it all.

As far as not getting over the loss yet.....

What Roethlisberger did to them.......I don't think they will ever get over that. I know if the roles were reversed.....man....I can't imagine how much that would hurt.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10
    I LOVE IT remember back when they advanced , to me he sounded like a former Steeler coach. Bill Cowher overconfident saying that he wanted the Steelers to advance to play them in Super Bowl as if he just knew he would win. for some kind of revenge factor for the hiring of Tomlin. Now i wonder do he wish different!!!
    What really eats at him is he now knows what the Rooneys knew two years ago. Tomlin was the better choice for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Enjoy your sunshine in AZ and your one and done experience in the Super Bowl.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

When a play blossoms like that you can't blame anyone for the outcome besides the QB for throwing it or the OC for calling it. Just too many variables involved to point to one thing as the reason the play resulted in a pick 6.

I was screaming for a FG... begging for an incompletion...

I'll be honest.. I had like 0.75% of my mind on an INT...
    I don't know if I was screaming or not... I think I was speechless..
    whispering..go, go go....
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"