Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm not sure if this has been posted. (Vernon Carey)

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I'm not sure if this has been posted. (Vernon Carey)

the Associated Press Published: February 19, 2009

INDIANAPOLIS: Coach Tony Sparano says the Miami Dolphins won't use the franchise tag on a player, which will mean one more hole to fill when free agency begins next week.

Set to become unrestricted free agents Feb. 27 are tackle Vernon Carey, linebacker Channing Crowder, cornerback Andre Goodman and safeties Yeremiah Bell and Renaldo Hill. It's possible not all will depart — the Dolphins are negotiating with several, including Carey.

Sparano met with reporters for 20 minutes Thursday at the NFL Scouting Combine and said the Dolphins won't use the franchise tag.

"No. Nothing to talk about," he said.

In his first year as coach, Sparano led the Dolphins to an 11-5 regular-season record and the AFC East title one year after they went 1-15. He said he hopes the turnaround will help when Miami begins courting free agents.

Today in Sports
    Platini's latest foe, and maybe the toughest: The EUPakistan to play test after gap of 14 monthsIsraeli tennis player given visa for Dubai tourney"I hope that's a little bit easier, but everybody has something great to offer out there," Sparano said. "The players have options and we have options and all of those good things.

"I would think when you're coming off a 1-15 and now you're 11-5, when you start to turn the corner — and we're not there yet — and change the culture, that that's attractive to free agents. I think the players on our team right now probably have a pretty good message for potential free agents that might be out there."

Sparano said the Dolphins' plan under Bill Parcells is to build through the draft with an occasional dip into the free-agent market.

"It starts with the free agents, of course," Sparano said. "That's the phase we're in right now, or we're closest to. We're not going to be able to address all of our needs from a free-agent standpoint. That really isn't our philosophy. It never has been. Our philosophy is plain and simple. We want to build it through the draft."

That's where the NFL Combine comes in, with potential draftees on display for a week.

"You try to build it through the draft with as many pieces as you can," Sparano said. "We need a lot of players."

The Parcells regime brought in 29 new players in 2008. The turnover likely won't be as dramatic this offseason, but there will be no standing pat.

The offensive line is a work in progress. The defensive line and pass rush also need an upgrade. The thinnest area is receiver, with Miami's wideouts totaling only five touchdowns last year.

Sparano said the Dolphins were watching with interest the progress of New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, the 2007 NFL most valuable player. He missed the final 15 games last season with a knee injury.

"We pay attention to it," Sparano said. "To get to where you want to be, it starts in your division. You better know everything about your division."

Terms of Use
    Back to topHome > SportsVernon Carey
    Vernon Carey is a professional offensive tackle for the Miami Dolphins of the National Football League.

In February of 2009, it was rumored that the Dolphins were considering using their franchise tag on Carey, who is set to become a free agent.1

Starter

User Info Menu

Re: I'm not sure if this has been posted. (Vernon Carey)

The Dolphins are the first team to be reported as interested in Bryant McFadden as well. Thought I'd put this in here.
    "That's just Ben being Superman" -John Madden, Super Bowl XLIII

Legend

User Info Menu

Carey would be too expensive to sign. I think if we are even going to consider a free agent tackle it will be mid level guys like Frank Omilye (Carolina), Donald Penn (TB) or Daniel Loper (Titans).

I think the most likely course of action though is to develop Hills and build through the draft. We have too many other good players like Harrison, Miller and Woodley that need to be extended.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Carey would be too expensive to sign. I think if we are even going to consider a free agent tackle it will be mid level guys like Frank Omilye (Carolina), Donald Penn (TB) or Daniel Loper (Titans).

I think the most likely course of action though is to develop Hills and build through the draft. We have too many other good players like Harrison, Miller and Woodley that need to be extended.
    Arggg! You said extended! Im jaded on the word after being exposed to the gazillion 'Extenze' TV commercials. Talk about ignorant and an insult to the intelligence of the general public! Makes me not want to watch the Discovery/A&E channels anymore.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

We franchise tagged Max Starks- so why discuss a FA such as Carey now?

Unless it's just for giggles.....
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Having Carey would be nice for RT but it won't happen. The Steelers did what they had to do in tagging Starks. If Kemo prices himself out (Over 2.5), which will most likely happen, the Steelers can use the draft to fill the rest of the holes. I expect Essex to be retained if Kemo goes elswhere. I also expect at least 2 OL to be added in the draft and one will be in the 1st 2 rounds. Keeping Starks creates some stability and also takes away some priority in the draft. Whenever you take priority into the draft...You can reach. The Steelers can concentrate on interior OL and maybe a RT if someone falls to them.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Just-Plain-Nasty your draft is awesome...
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel
    Thank You! It would be nice if it fell that way and those players were available at those spots. I get the feeling some might grade out higher after the combine.

Starter

User Info Menu

x2
    "That's just Ben being Superman" -John Madden, Super Bowl XLIII

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WoodleyofTroy
    x2

I don't know some of those guys, but you seem to have a lot of board favorites JPN. However what are you planning for Steelers WR spot? I don't see a WR being drafted in your mock. Do we lose Nate and bring in FA or sign Nate in your opinion?
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285