Thread: Big Ben proves he's worth the drama

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Big Ben proves he's worth the drama

Big Ben proves he's worth the drama
    By John Harris, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Monday, February 16, 2009

It doesn't matter that some of the talking heads on ESPN labeled Ben Roethlisberger a so-called drama queen because he has a reputation for dramatizing his injuries.

What's important is that Roethlisberger is a so-called drama queen who has won two Super Bowl championships in his first five NFL seasons.

A little drama never hurt anybody.

The Steelers pay Big Ben big bucks because he makes plays other quarterbacks can only dream of pulling off.

His oh-no-he-didn't sideways scramble followed by a 14-yard zinger to Santonio Holmes late in Super Bowl XLIII was the play that set the game-winning drive in motion.

Roethlisberger will never throw a more perfect pass than his 6-yard, tight-spiral masterpiece to Holmes in the back corner of the end zone to beat the Arizona Cardinals.

It took one of the greatest throws in Super Bowl history to result in arguably the greatest catch in Super Bowl lore.

Roethlisberger delivered the ball to the one spot where only Holmes could make the catch.

It's a throw that will stand the test of time, the way Lynn Swann's juggling, lunging, 53-yard grab against Dallas in Super Bowl X still produces goose bumps every time you watch the replay.

The trick is knowing when to make the throw of a lifetime.

Roethlisberger knows. He's blessed with an impeccable sense of timing.

The only thing more spectacular than Roethlisberger pulling off the touchdown drive for the ages is him doing it as a member of the walking wounded.

It makes for a better story.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Ben has earned the right to be Ben.

Instead of over-analyzing why Roethlisberger told SI.com he played Super Bowl XLIII with multiple broken ribs but didn't bother telling his coach, why not sit back and enjoy the ride?

You haven't seen anything yet.

The only thing that's more high maintenance than a quarterback with one Super Bowl ring is a two-time Super Bowl champion.

Let the fun begin.

The fascinating disconnect between Roethlisberger and the Steelers over the severity of his injuries this season is well-documented.

Director of football operations Kevin Colbert seemed to delight in denying any knowledge of Roethlisberger's broken ribs, as much as Ben seemed to enjoy talking about them.

What's that all about?

Aren't the star quarterback and his team supposed to be on the same page?

Apparently not. Ben's injury shouldn't have been a surprise to the Steelers, unless Colbert is an incredibly good actor.

Give Ben his due — please.

He loves the attention befitting a player of his stature. And in this case — being the winning quarterback in Super Bowl XLIII — he deserves every accolade coming his way.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Big Ben proves he's worth the drama

As long as he is wining we can put up with the drama

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

I second that!!!!

It's a damn shame that Ben has to do this much to get respect as an elite QB... look at his W vs L and 4th quarter comebacks in his short career.

You have to do it when the lights are on and he did.. so he is now in the upper room!
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Big Ben worth the drama? Hell yes!! Although the drama I speak of is different from what these talking pundits are referring to. I think the drama Ben provides is HOW is he going to lead the comeback this time. It's getting to the point of not even thinking IF he is going to lead the comeback. Not too bad for a guy who holds on to the ball too long and doesn't throw it away often enough.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85
    Big Ben worth the drama? Hell yes!! Although the drama I speak of isn't different from what these talking pundits are referring to. I think the drama Ben provides is HOW is he going to lead the comeback this time. It's getting to the point of not even thinking IF he is going to lead the comeback. Not too bad for a guy who holds on to the ball too long and doesn't throw it away often enough.
    My email to the author of this piece mentioned that...and also reminded him if the media wouldn't make such a big deal out of his injuries there would be none of this "drama" talk like how they mean it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

While true their might be some drama with Ben, I would like to have some of these talking heads take a beating like Ben does.

Most QB's would be on IR.