Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: #32 overall.

Starter

User Info Menu

#32 overall.

After looking at exactly 105 mocks, this is the consensus going into the combine:

Alex Mack C California (2
    Duke Robinson G Oklahoma (21)
    Max Unger OL Oregon (1
    William Beatty OT Connecticut (
    Eben Britton OT Arizona (7)
    Phil Loadholt OT Oklahoma (5)
    Tyson Jackson DE LSU (4)
    Alphonso Smith CB Wake Forest (4)
    Jamon Meredith OT South Carolina (4)
    Michael Johnson DE Georgia Tech (2)
    William Moore FS Missouri
    D.J. Moore CB Vanderbilt
    Brian Cushing LB USC
    Clint Sintim OLB Virginia

Number one on my wish list for 32 overall.

"The New" Max Unger C/G/T Oregon - I remember first watching this guy when the Ducks were in the National Championship race with Dennis Dixon, that was before Todd McShay had him going #22 overall to the Minnesota Vikings immediately after the 2008 Draft for his first 2009 published mock. He had more hype than Alex Mack going into last season, with both returning to school. His versatility could allow the Steelers to move Offensive Llineman around for a better fit and utilize later draft picks in other areas. He's a franchise guy you can build around. At 6'5'', he'd fit in anywhere. Not only is this a much needed pick, he could very well be BPA as well. I just hope after the combine he doesn't turn into the next Branden Albert, putting us out of reach again. This guy has it all.

Comparison: Logan Mankins, New England Patriots.

Strengths: Arms are as long as vines, with a strong frame and good bulk ... Athletic lineman ... Does a great job of finishing blocks ... Nasty attitude ... Smart and a great leader for Oregon ... Displays sound footwork ... Mobile and gets to the second level ... Can fit the zone-blocking scheme like a glove ... Versatile enough to play every position on the offensive line ... Maintains a sound base in pass protection ... Experience at multiple positions.
    "That's just Ben being Superman" -John Madden, Super Bowl XLIII

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: #32 overall.

I'll stay with Mack, the kid could be a Pro-Bowler at two spots (LG, C).
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life
    I'll stay with Mack, the kid could be a Pro-Bowler at two spots (LG, C).
    Alex Mack C California 6'5'' 316

An even higher rated prospect than Nick Mangold. That value at #32 is without question on the same playing field as Ben Roethlisberger and Heath Miller were. Same type of pick. Same type of result. People compare him to Mangold, I'll go even higher, with Alan Faneca. Whether that is at Left Guard or Center, he'll dominate in both the running game and in pass protection for the next decade.

Strengths: Rare size with great lower body strength, long arms and solid bulk ... Tenacious run blocker and is a finisher ... Consistent motor ... Very smart ... Solid athlete and can get to the second level ... Has the power to anchor against larger nose tackles ... Is the leader and anchor you want for your line ... Makes correct line calls and is a solid communicator ... Gets out of stance quickly ... Uses hands well; can lock on ... Nice awareness in pass protection ... Can play guard.
    "That's just Ben being Superman" -John Madden, Super Bowl XLIII

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I would be happy with either Unger or Mack. I DO NOT want the Steelers to take Duke Robinson though.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

I think the Steelers are already impressed with Mack's talents, and once they interview him at the combine next weekend, they could fall in love with the kid when they realize how smart he is as well. They may not want to risk the chance that he does not fall to us at #32. I foresee a similar trade to the one we made the last time we were defending Super Bowl Champs (moving up from 32 to 25 to get Santonio). Miami has that #25 pick this year, and Parcells treasures early draft picks...they already have two 2nd round picks, so if we made the same trade we made with the Giants three years ago, it would net the Dolphins two picks in rounds 3 and 4 as well. Perhaps we can get an extra 6th rounder out of them if we give them our 1st, 3rd, and 4th, or maybe they would do it for a 1st, 3rd, and 5th instead. We'll see. I want to get a spot in front of rival Baltimore, since I worry that they might go for Mack if they put all of their eggs in the Suggs and Lewis baskets, thereby losing starting center Jason Brown to free agency.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh
    I would be happy with either Unger or Mack. I DO NOT want the Steelers to take Duke Robinson though.
    Can Max Unger handle the big 3-4 NT in Steelers Div? He is a jack of all trade master of none. Steelers normally go with versatile O-linemen though.

Any particular reason why you don't want Steelers to draft Duke? Character issues? I think Run Game will improve vastly with Duke as LG.I think Duke is a dominating run blocker and the best guard going into combine.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Legend

User Info Menu

Dude, are you Benny2112?

How many mock draft threads do you plan on starting?

Legend

User Info Menu

This is the most interesting comment about Unger that we need to pay attention to

Can fit the zone-blocking scheme like a glove
    If we are staying with that we need to get players that are better at it. Kemo isn't. Colon isn't.

Personally, I'd like Tyson Jackson but OL might be inevitable if we can't resign Starks.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Backup

User Info Menu

I pray we don't trade a draft choice to move up in round 1. We have several needs and I would like to get 4 players in the top 100 if possible. I like Mack a lot, but Unger is pretty close in talent. The Steelers should see either Unger or Mack avaiable at 32 so there is no need to move up.
    The Steelers’ went through seven consecutive drafts (2003-09) without taking an offensive lineman in the first two rounds, the longest such streak by any franchise this century.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MaxAMillion
    I pray we don't trade a draft choice to move up in round 1. We have several needs and I would like to get 4 players in the top 100 if possible. I like Mack a lot, but Unger is pretty close in talent. The Steelers should see either Unger or Mack avaiable at 32 so there is no need to move up.
    I agree. I hate giving away picks particularly is we aren't getting a "playmaker." OL is not a playmaker. Stay at #32 and we will get what we need.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"