Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: For the Soccer fans of the board..US v Mex report from C-bus

Re: For the Soccer fans of the board..US v Mex report from C-bus

Shiek, I can't remember if we discussed this at the Chargers game, but did you play any
    college ball? IIRC, we're around the same age and now I'm curious if there's a possibility
    that the Shiek and Jigawatts went head to head in the past.

Pro Bowler

Yeah, given Howard's card, I was surprised the Mexican keeper wasn't booked after the second goal.
    In response to his pleas, an officer said: "You think we've never arrested somebody that's made national media? ... We deal with the Bengals all the time."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848

Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts
    Shiek, I can't remember if we discussed this at the Chargers game, but did you play any
    college ball? IIRC, we're around the same age and now I'm curious if there's a possibility
    that the Shiek and Jigawatts went head to head in the past.

Played in High School (Lorain Southview High)...varsity 4 years but my school wasn't what you would call a powerhouse (or a weakhouse for that matter). Wrestling and Baseball were the big sports at my school, I'd try to recruit alot of those guys to play soccer all the time. We had like me and 2 or 3 other guys that actually had played soccer their entire lives. Most of the people were converts and picked the game up within the last 2 years or so. It was rough, but did our best.

I got a scholarship offer to play at Tiffin (NATE Dog WASHINGTON'S school!!!) which was NAIA at the time. In hindsight I should've just took it because I really wanted to play, but I also really wanted to go to OSU and my brother and all my friends had moved here so I ended up passing and going to Columbus.

I did train with the OSU club team (kinda like their jayvee team) during my freshman year, but when it came time for the season I couldn't commit to all the travelling they were gonna be doing. So I ended up just playing in leagues at this soccer complex in Dublin (suburb) with a bunch of my friends. There was some great competition there as well.

But I do regret not pursuing my playing career. I think with proper training and conditioning I could've been a lot better, that was what held me back the most. Skill wise I could hang with most anyone. Haven't played organized ball now for about 3 or 4 years....its sucks. I'm itching to play though.

So that was the long answer. Short answer was "No, I didn't play in college. " Where did you play Jiga?
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

That's funny, I'm just the opposite of you. I was conditioned like a freak but I had terrible
    skills. I went to a small high school, we didn't even have soccer until I was a junior, but
    I played football that year because I wasn't sure they'd have a soccer team and I had
    already committed to the off season football training program.

Even though I played in the youth leagues, I didn't play in high school until I was a senior ('97).
    We didn't have a lot of skilled players, so our coach just conditioned the hell out of us so
    we could out run anyone we played. That was good enough to get me recruited by Lake
    Erie College in Painesville, also NAIA at the time. Since I didn't have great skill, I basically
    got by on my quickness and tenacity. I played three years and quit my senior year so I
    could focus on graduating, since I knew I didn't have a future in soccer. I still regret quitting
    because I've never had more fun in my life than those three years with my teammates.

Now, the reason I asked you if you played was because we played schools all around
    the Cleveland area, (I wasn't sure that you went OSU). Teams like Case, John Carroll,
    and Hiram. We played Capital a few times, I'm not sure where that's at, but I know it's
    somewhere near Columbus.

My wife (when not pregnant) and I still play indoors on Friday nights in a co-ed league.
    Not very competitive, but it's fun to kick the ball around. She actually has better skills
    than me. So we figure with my quickness and her skills, our jiga girls are going
    to be playing in the Womens World Cup by 2027.

Starter

Quote Originally Posted by ghettoscott
    http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2009/02/the_hejduk_incident.html?wprss=soccerinsider

douche...
    In my culture slapping someone or knocking off their cap is the worst thing you can do to someone. Ultimate disrespect. What a knob.
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

Thats awesome Jiga. I wasn't a fat slob or anything, I just didn't have the speed a forward should have. But I had a keen nose for the goal...that was my specialty, getting in space and scoring. And being a little fly that stole balls from clumsy defenders and taking the goalie one on one. Ha.

Capital is right in downtown Columbus. That's crazy, you played NAIA and you didn't play Tiffin? If I played there, we def would've played each other because I graduated High School in 97 also.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Hall of Famer

Im kinda like you Jigs...I didnt play until college intramurals. Never had any skills until recently and got by on over aggression. I like to say I play middle linebacker since Im the guy that slams those strikers as they try to dance their way into the box.

I love that we dominate our region but its hard to imagine the US team regaining any world prominence at the next Cup. Maybe if we had Klinsmann as our coach...
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Shiek
    That's crazy, you played NAIA and you didn't play Tiffin?
    We were in the Allegheny Mountain Collegiate Conference (AMCC) so most, if not all of the
    teams in our conference were east of us. The out of conference games we played were
    relativity close to us. Usually Case, Hiram, John Carrol, West Minster, Grove City, Wooster
    Theil, and Oberlin to name a few. I don't know why we never played Tiffin. That's a
    question maybe one of my old teammates could answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel
    Im kinda like you Jigs...I didnt play until college intramurals. Never had any skills until recently and got by on over aggression. I like to say I play middle linebacker since Im the guy that slams those strikers as they try to dance their way into the box.

I love that we dominate our region but its hard to imagine the US team regaining any world prominence at the next Cup. Maybe if we had Klinsmann as our coach...
    Where do you play DoS?

Hall of Famer

[quote=Jigawatts]
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Shiek
    That's crazy, you played NAIA and you didn't play Tiffin?
    We were in the Allegheny Mountain Collegiate Conference (AMCC) so most, if not all of the
    teams in our conference were east of us. The out of conference games we played were
    relativity close to us. Usually Case, Hiram, John Carrol, West Minster, Grove City, Wooster
    Theil, and Oberlin to name a few. I don't know why we never played Tiffin. That's a
    question maybe one of my old teammates could answer.

Quote Originally Posted by "Discipline of Steel":3reweasp

Where do you play DoS?[/quote:3reweasp]

I play for a club down here in Fla, games on Sunday mornings. Mostly S Americans, Im the 'gringo'. I like to go play with the Jamaicans on Wednesdays for fun. They are a rough bunch...more my style. Imagine that, Im always the odd guy in my own country. I just played futbolito down in Colombia last year, that was different. There is a big net over the whole field, which is much smaller, and you cant shoot from inside a 10 yard arc around the goal.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.