Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Franchise Starks

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Franchise Starks

I think the Steelers need to franchise Max Starks. This would ensure a few things:

-The Steelers have a viable LT on the team for at least one more year.

-Starks would need to stay in shape to land that big money contract.

-The Steelers would have another season/offseason/draft to find/develop a LT.

I just feel that if Starks gets that big money contract there is a very real possibility he eats himself out of shape. I think he let himself go the season after we won the Superbowl the last time and that is why he lost his job. If we franchise him he has to stay in shape this offseason so he plays well for his future employer and is ready to go.

Any thoughts?
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Franchise Starks

You know, at 6'8, it's harder to get big n fat than a 6'1 Casey Hampton.

I'm not worried about Starks being out of shape and think Ben would be on his butt (except the saturday night drinking binges)
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe
    You know, at 6'8, it's harder to get big n fat than a 6'1 Casey Hampton.

I'm not worried about Starks being out of shape and think Ben would be on his butt (except the saturday night drinking binges)
    I think that is the very reason he lost his RT position. He ate himself out of that job.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh
    I think the Steelers need to franchise Max Starks. This would ensure a few things:

-The Steelers have a viable LT on the team for at least one more year.

-Starks would need to stay in shape to land that big money contract.

-The Steelers would have another season/offseason/draft to find/develop a LT.

I just feel that if Starks gets that big money contract there is a very real possibility he eats himself out of shape. I think he let himself go the season after we won the Superbowl the last time and that is why he lost his job. If we franchise him he has to stay in shape this offseason so he plays well for his future employer and is ready to go.

Any thoughts?
    It may be the best course of action given the alternatives. Hopefully we can get him signed for 3-4 years.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I had always thought that we would franchise Marvell this year if we didn't work out a deal - to get one more year.

Given his back and that that is out of the question, they may franchise Starks.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think you make a good point, I dont trust him to an LTR either. Its possible hes had some growing to do (mentally, not physically) and hed be motivated to emerge as an excellant LT this year.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

No, never. He got his windfall this year when he was vastly overpaid. He is average at best so why pay him top 5? Try and sign him for reasonable money and if he turns it down let him walk.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85
    No, never. He got his windfall this year when he was vastly overpaid. He is average at best so why pay him top 5? Try and sign him for reasonable money and if he turns it down let him walk.
    Easier said than done. Who do you start at LT then?
    @_Hellgrammite

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Resign MSmith and transition Starks. Someone will offer him a contract as a transition. He will leave but we'll get a top pick because of it. And if the contract he signs is reasonable, we match and stick him on the right side for a season or 2 before we cut Marvel.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I am not going to let my hopes for repeating rest on Marvel Smiths damaged back. And as I stated in my OP there are reasons for not giving Max a long term deal. I think the franchise tag with impending free agency next season is a nice carrot to dangle in front of him to make sure he is in top shape once again next year.
    @_Hellgrammite