Thread: Steeling The Show

Legend

User Info Menu

Steeling The Show

Steeling The Show

by Eric Haigh

[url="http://bleacherreport.com/articles/119751-steeling-the-show"]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1197 ... g-the-show[/url]

Now that the emotions are gone, the fists are no longer clenched, and the confetti has been cleaned up at Raymond James Stadium, I would like to take a look back at Super Bowl XLIII and give my reasoning on why the Steelers were able to capture their sixth ring in franchise history.

1. James Harrison

No one will forget Harrison's heroics at the end of the first half when he took Kurt Warner's pass back a Super Bowl record 100 yards for a touchdown with no time left on the clock. But I also want to point out the brilliant job Harrison did the entire game of flying to the football and making plays, much like he did the entire 2008 season.

2. Dick LeBeau

Much like Harrison, it seemed as though Steelers Defensive Coordinator Dick LeBeau never faltered in 2008. All year long, LeBeau's blitz packages pressured opposing quarterbacks and got the defense off the field so Big Ben and Company could work their way down the field. LeBeau has no plans on retiring following this season, so expect more quarterbacks with grass stains on their jerseys while playing the Steelers in 2009.

3. Santonio Holmes

How could I leave out the Super Bowl MVP? After doing virtually nothing for my fantasy football team all season, Holmes stepped up when it mattered the most and made numerous big plays against a Cardinals secondary that had been playing top notch throughout the playoffs. After not recording a single 100-yard game this season, Holmes hauled in nine receptions for 131 yards and the game-winning touchdown with 35 seconds left in the game.

4. Ike Taylor

Although Ike Taylor's name didn't come up as much during the game because of the player he was going up against, Larry Fitzgerald, Taylor played well enough for the defense to not give up too many big plays through the air. The one big play that came on a 64-yard Fitzgerald touchdown where it appeared Taylor thought he had help because of the cushion the Pittsburgh safeties were giving the Cardinals' receivers. Taylor finished with five tackles in Super Bowl XLIII.

5. Ben Roethlisberger

After being doubted by me the entire regular season and even into the playoffs, I owe Big Ben an apology after he drove the Steelers' offense 78 yards to the winning score. Roethlisberger showed great poise in the pocket and was helped out by a great run after the catch from Holmes on the drive. The most impressive play had to be on the touchdown when Roethlisberger couldn't find a receiver open in the end zone, bought some time, and then flung the ball to the corner of the end zone. It was a pass that I thought was being thrown away. But Holmes, as he had done all game, came up huge and made a great catch in the corner of the end zone to propel the Steelers to their sixth Super Bowl Championship.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Steeling The Show

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer
    Steeling The Show

by Eric Haigh

[url="http://bleacherreport.com/articles/119751-steeling-the-show"]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1197 ... g-the-show[/url]

Now that the emotions are gone, the fists are no longer clenched, and the confetti has been cleaned up at Raymond James Stadium, I would like to take a look back at Super Bowl XLIII and give my reasoning on why the Steelers were able to capture their sixth ring in franchise history.

1. James Harrison

No one will forget Harrison's heroics at the end of the first half when he took Kurt Warner's pass back a Super Bowl record 100 yards for a touchdown with no time left on the clock. But I also want to point out the brilliant job Harrison did the entire game of flying to the football and making plays, much like he did the entire 2008 season.

2. bad word LeBeau

Much like Harrison, it seemed as though Steelers Defensive Coordinator bad word LeBeau never faltered in 2008. All year long, LeBeau's blitz packages pressured opposing quarterbacks and got the defense off the field so Big Ben and Company could work their way down the field. LeBeau has no plans on retiring following this season, so expect more quarterbacks with grass stains on their jerseys while playing the Steelers in 2009.

3. Santonio Holmes

How could I leave out the Super Bowl MVP? After doing virtually nothing for my fantasy football team all season, Holmes stepped up when it mattered the most and made numerous big plays against a Cardinals secondary that had been playing top notch throughout the playoffs. After not recording a single 100-yard game this season, Holmes hauled in nine receptions for 131 yards and the game-winning touchdown with 35 seconds left in the game.

4. Ike Taylor

Although Ike Taylor's name didn't come up as much during the game because of the player he was going up against, Larry Fitzgerald, Taylor played well enough for the defense to not give up too many big plays through the air. The one big play that came on a 64-yard Fitzgerald touchdown where it appeared Taylor thought he had help because of the cushion the Pittsburgh safeties were giving the Cardinals' receivers. Taylor finished with five tackles in Super Bowl XLIII.

5. Ben Roethlisberger

After being doubted by me the entire regular season and even into the playoffs, I owe Big Ben an apology after he drove the Steelers' offense 78 yards to the winning score. Roethlisberger showed great poise in the pocket and was helped out by a great run after the catch from Holmes on the drive. The most impressive play had to be on the touchdown when Roethlisberger couldn't find a receiver open in the end zone, bought some time, and then flung the ball to the corner of the end zone. It was a pass that I thought was being thrown away. But Holmes, as he had done all game, came up huge and made a great catch in the corner of the end zone to propel the Steelers to their sixth Super Bowl Championship.
    I think one thing that is going to get lost in SB43 is how well Ike T played. For 3 1/2 quarters he locked Fitz down. On the fade pass TD he had ridiculous coverage. He got roasted on the slant though, and unfortunately, that's what most will remember,.
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ion1/sn1-1.jpg http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ns_44958-1.jpg
    South End Zone...Screaming My Head Off...Every Game! 111 consecutive and counting.

Starter

User Info Menu

ike played well...he had two plays where he wasn't "swaggin" and that was the missed tackle and the slant for a TD...but the TD for fitz came on a play where i guarantee you ike thought he had safety help...

ike is vastly underrated and a very key component to our defense...
    "The standard is the standard" Mike Tomlin

True Fan

wtf?
    taylor sucked in the superbowl. the guy got toasted for 2 tds, missed tackles and had that ridiculously ignorant personal foul on the sideline.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tomlinsucks
    wtf?
    taylor sucked in the superbowl. the guy got toasted for 2 tds, missed tackles and had that ridiculously ignorant personal foul on the sideline.
    Uhh....whatever dude. Guy was in position on almost every play. As the Cards learned, you can't really defend the perfect pass. Take away Fitz's long TD (which some are saying was a safety problem) and he basically did squat. For all the media hype the guy was a no-show for 3/4 of the game.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mshifko
    ike played well...he had two plays where he wasn't "swaggin" and that was the missed tackle and the slant for a TD...but the TD for fitz came on a play where i guarantee you ike thought he had safety help...

ike is vastly underrated and a very key component to our defense...
    Ike had pretty decent coverage on that play and, unfortunately, made a play for the ball. But you are correct. Clark and Troy had deep (and I do mean DEEP) halves of the field. The Cards outside receivers both ran out routes. Clark and Troy came up on those out routes HARD, which opened up the middle of the field.

It was a great play call by the Cards. They gambled on the aggressive nature of our safeties and they won. They're professionals being paid to play too, and it's safe to say Fitz is one of the best in the game.

Legend

User Info Menu

Well, I guess that if you look at how it turned out, it was all in our favor anyways because obviously the Cards scored too soon.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerNation1
    I think one thing that is going to get lost in SB43 is how well Ike T played. For 3 1/2 quarters he locked Fitz down. On the fade pass TD he had ridiculous coverage. He got roasted on the slant though, and unfortunately, that's what most will remember,.
    I thought it was Troy who locked Fitz down in the first half?
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler Shades
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerNation1
    I thought it was Troy who locked Fitz down in the first half?
    It was a combined effort. Troy would hit or impede him at the line and then bail to his responsibility. From there it was Ike.