Thread: Anyone Else Hear....

Legend

User Info Menu

Anyone Else Hear....

According to Sporting News Radio this afternoon, Tomlin admitted if we had not gotten the safety in the endzone on that 3rd down, he would have taken an intentional safety on 4th down. Pretty ballsy to admit I think.....but I don't think I would have been too opposed to it. Put the game in the hands of the No. 1 to win it.....(fortunately our #22 offense came through.)

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Anyone Else Hear....

Yes and he specifically mentioned the fact that morey blocked one of our punts for a TD last year. I think it would have been the right call.
    In response to his pleas, an officer said: "You think we've never arrested somebody that's made national media? ... We deal with the Bengals all the time."

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848"]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast
    According to Sporting News Radio this afternoon, Tomlin admitted if we had not gotten the safety in the endzone on that 3rd down, he would have taken an intentional safety on 4th down. Pretty ballsy to admit I think.....but I don't think I would have been too opposed to it. Put the game in the hands of the No. 1 to win it.....(fortunately our #22 offense came through.)
    If we had not got the safety in the endzone, he never would have had to make that choice since we had a first down out to the 20.

I know what you're saying and we discussed that option ourselves in hindsight. I'm curious to find out if he had that thought prior to the actual play, or if it's something he considered later. That's some serious strateg-izin' if he had that all plotted out two plays ahead.

Starter

User Info Menu

yeah because at that juncture of the ball game, 2 points wasn't going to decide it...that would have been a smart move...you can tell through his emotions that he wasn't going worried
    "The standard is the standard" Mike Tomlin

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel
    If we had not got the safety in the endzone, he never would have had to make that choice since we had a first down out to the 20.

I know what you're saying and we discussed that option ourselves in hindsight. I'm curious to find out if he had that thought prior to the actual play, or if it's something he considered later. That's some serious strateg-izin' if he had that all plotted out two plays ahead.
    I have no doubt in my mind that Tomlin had worked through that scenario as soon as the ball was downed at the one (if not sometime on Saturday).
    In response to his pleas, an officer said: "You think we've never arrested somebody that's made national media? ... We deal with the Bengals all the time."

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848"]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848[/url]

Starter

User Info Menu

Made the comment to that effect after Air Head's ridiculous 2nd down counter plunge that put us on the 3 inch line... Safety puts us up 4. Still gotta get a TD to overtake us, a FG is still good at the end. I looked at it in terms of FP. A punt from the 1 puts them on our 35 or 40 going in. A safety buys us 30 yards of FP... little did I realize that we'd get roasted for a 64 yard TD... but it's all good!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel

I was on the game thread and thought they should take a safety at that time, actually I wanted it before the throw to Tones, that's how much confidence I had in our O line.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

I brought that up and we discussed it prior to the third down play. To me it was a common sense move. 6 or 4 point lead still requires a TD to overtake, and the extra twenty yards is too valuable to pass up.