Thread: News: Ward vows Super return

Backup

User Info Menu

News: Ward vows Super return

Ward vows Super return

By Mike Bires
    Times Sports Staff
    Published: Thursday, January 22, 2009 12:10 AM EST
    PITTSBURGH — Hines Ward, the self-proclaimed “leader of the wideouts,” plans to be just that Feb. 1.

“I won’t miss the Super Bowl,” he said without a trace of doubt in his voice. “I will be on that field.”

Considering that Ward sprained his knee just four days ago, that’s a very optimistic prognosis. But Wednesday as the Steelers returned to practice for the first time since winning the AFC Championship Game, no one doubted Ward’s positive outlook.

No one wanted to even think of playing the Arizona Cardinals in Super Bowl XLIII without the man who’ll go down as one of the most popular players in franchise history.

“Hines is a leader,” tackle Max Starks said. “He is an individual who doesn’t only lead this team verbally but also from a physical standpoint. He’s one of those guys you can get inspiration from just by watching him.”

“It is going to be very important that he plays,” added strong safety Troy Polamalu. “He is probably the best blocking wide receiver in the history of the game. He has great hands; he doesn’t drop any balls. He’s our leader as well.”

Ward, the Steelers’ all-time leading receiver and the Most Valuable Player in Super Bowl XL, sprained his knee late in the first quarter of Sunday’s 23-14 win over the Baltimore Ravens. He returned briefly in the second quarter but then had to leave due to the pain in his knee.

“When I saw that, I knew he must have really been hurt,” cornerback Deshea Townsend said. “It must have been really hurt badly for Hines not to be out there.”

There are varying degrees of a sprained knee, and fortunately for Ward, it appears he doesn’t have a major sprain. At least it doesn’t appear as serious as the one running back Willie Parker sustained earlier in the season when he missed four games.

“The sprain is high, not low. It’s more in the quad area, the high knee I guess,” Ward said. “That’s where all the blood supply goes, so it makes the healing process a little easier. If you sprain it, you want to sprain it there. It’s a great place to heal.”

In order to get himself ready for SB XLIII, Ward is going through a rigorous rehab program, “overtime,” as he calls it.

He will not practice at all this week and may be limited at practice next week once the Steelers arrive in Tampa.

“There is no way Hines is missing this game,” Townsend said. “That is too many days away for him missing a game. He’s going to do everything possible to get his body ready. (Even) a 75 percent Hines is good enough to make plays.”

“Hines is going to play,” coach Mike Tomlin said. “He’s important to us, not only to the offense but to the team. It’s his spirit and the manner with which he plays the game.”

“If anybody asks me about Hines Ward, it’s ridiculous,” said quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. “I expect him to be out there if we play tomorrow.”

[url="http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2009/01/22/sports/steelers/doc4977feeee5487365987305.txt"]http://www.timesonline.com/articles/200 ... 987305.txt[/url]

-------------------------------
    Wonder what Troy meant by that comment?

Starter

User Info Menu

Re: News: Ward vows Super return

hines is clutch, bottom line...if he's in there, our offense knows they can depend upon him when we need and he'll be there
    "The standard is the standard" Mike Tomlin

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Even if he catches 2 balls for 8 yrds, we need him on the field. His presence and other skills are that important to the Steelers success!!!

LasVegasGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RKSteel
    Ward vows Super return

By Mike Bires
    Times Sports Staff
    PITTSBURGH — Hines Ward, the self-proclaimed “leader of the wideouts,” plans to be just that Feb. 1.

“I won’t miss the Super Bowl,” he said without a trace of doubt in his voice. “I will be on that field.”

Considering that Ward sprained his knee just four days ago, that’s a very optimistic prognosis. But Wednesday as the Steelers returned to practice for the first time since winning the AFC Championship Game, no one doubted Ward’s positive outlook.

No one wanted to even think of playing the Arizona Cardinals in Super Bowl XLIII without the man who’ll go down as one of the most popular players in franchise history.

“Hines is a leader,” tackle Max Starks said. “He is an individual who doesn’t only lead this team verbally but also from a physical standpoint. He’s one of those guys you can get inspiration from just by watching him.”

“It is going to be very important that he plays,” added strong safety Troy Polamalu. “He is probably the best blocking wide receiver in the history of the game. He has great hands; he doesn’t drop any balls. He’s our leader as well.”

Ward, the Steelers’ all-time leading receiver and the Most Valuable Player in Super Bowl XL, sprained his knee late in the first quarter of Sunday’s 23-14 win over the Baltimore Ravens. He returned briefly in the second quarter but then had to leave due to the pain in his knee.

“When I saw that, I knew he must have really been hurt,” cornerback Deshea Townsend said. “It must have been really hurt badly for Hines not to be out there.”

There are varying degrees of a sprained knee, and fortunately for Ward, it appears he doesn’t have a major sprain. At least it doesn’t appear as serious as the one running back Willie Parker sustained earlier in the season when he missed four games.

“The sprain is high, not low. It’s more in the quad area, the high knee I guess,” Ward said. “That’s where all the blood supply goes, so it makes the healing process a little easier. If you sprain it, you want to sprain it there. It’s a great place to heal.”

In order to get himself ready for SB XLIII, Ward is going through a rigorous rehab program, “overtime,” as he calls it.

He will not practice at all this week and may be limited at practice next week once the Steelers arrive in Tampa.

“There is no way Hines is missing this game,” Townsend said. “That is too many days away for him missing a game. He’s going to do everything possible to get his body ready. (Even) a 75 percent Hines is good enough to make plays.”

“Hines is going to play,” coach Mike Tomlin said. “He’s important to us, not only to the offense but to the team. It’s his spirit and the manner with which he plays the game.”

“If anybody asks me about Hines Ward, it’s ridiculous,” said quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. “I expect him to be out there if we play tomorrow.”

[url="http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2009/01/22/sports/steelers/doc4977feeee5487365987305.txt"]http://www.timesonline.com/articles/200 ... 987305.txt[/url]

Anyone else concerned that Hines needs 24 hour rehab on a sprain they are classifing as not major?

I know the guy is tough and really wants to be out there but could his mind be saying one thing and his body is saying something else? I hope he makes it to the field and has a great day but I think we need to read between the lines before thinking he will start and finish this game.

Legend

User Info Menu

That guy has more game than any 25 of us. He'll be there.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't care if he doesn't make a catch, the revenge factor's going to be huge. He's coming back from an overzealous hit that took him out of the AFCCG, I guarantee someone wearing red is gonna see red when Hines get's his payback....

​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by RKSteel
    Ward vows Super return

By Mike Bires
    Times Sports Staff

Anyone else concerned that Hines needs 24 hour rehab on a sprain they are classifing as not major?

I know the guy is tough and really wants to be out there but could his mind be saying one thing and his body is saying something else? I hope he makes it to the field and has a great day but I think we need to read between the lines before thinking he will start and finish this game.
    I heard on NFL network that he is rehabbing the knee around the clock, including 12, 3, 6, 9am, etc.