Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Our Defensive Strategy vs. Cardinals...

Starter

User Info Menu

Our Defensive Strategy vs. Cardinals...

first off, we're going to have to be able to stop the run on 1st and 2nd downs...that will be key...i think we'll be able to do that just fine, i'm just worried about the passing situations...

what coverages do you think will work against this cardinals offense? i'm thinking on passing downs, we might try to shift to a cover 3 and roll one of our safeties/timmons to fitz's side to try to make their WR's attack the seams, which ironically i think is going to be a decent option...we have to try to at least limit the drags, hitches, and outs that the cardinal offense loves to run...

i think if we run some cover 2 that intermediate middle (10-15 yards) will be open and they'll just be able to sit down in the soft spots, because the quick stuff is going to be their bread-butter against our 4 man pass rush...we seemed to run a lot of cover 2 against the ravens and chargers, based off my observations...

we have to make kurt warner hold onto the ball longer and i think if we go into a soft zone he'll be able to dink and dunk us all night long...trying to make him hold onto the ball a split second longer by taking away his comfort throws will do just that...question is, how do we do it?

i'm not a huge proponent of blitzing kurt warner because he's a vet who knows how to read the defense and find open zones...we have to be able to win matchups and send pressure with only sending 4 guys...we will need to have at least 7 guys in coverage the vast majority of the evening i think...
    "The standard is the standard" Mike Tomlin

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Our Defensive Strategy vs. Cardinals...

MSHIF....

Fitz is the KEY ... the difference between us and Philly is we can pressure the QB w/out overload blitzes & stunts. We can get to Warner w/ a tradition 4 & 5 man pass rush w/out sacrificing big holes in coverage.

We will stay cover 3 b/c of the deep threat. We have too.

We just have to roll coverage to Fitz ... he's very dangerous on the deep jump ball and the crossing pattern.

I think the Steelers do a great job at letting 1 man get all the passing yards and making teams try to beat you 1 dimensionally.

For example. If Breston wants to have a 120 yards pass catching, that's fine. We just aren't going to let FITZ have 220 yards.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Starter

User Info Menu

What will really be interesting is how the Cards defend against our pass rush. Watching Tunch the other night on SportsBeat, he mentioned that Baltimore kept extra backs and TE's in to block all night to keep Flacco from getting crushed but that left fewer players out to flood the field as receivers.

Will AZ max protect? Sid's right, if we can get pressure w/o bringing constant blitzes, we have a great chance to win the game.

Starter

User Info Menu

yep...i know they're going to get yardage, we just have to find a way to limit them to 3 points or less when they get into the red zone...that's going to be another key factor
    "The standard is the standard" Mike Tomlin

Backup

User Info Menu

I'm thinking that we might see Troy on Fitz in some key situations. I think it was 2 years ago that Troy was singled up on T.O. and did a great job on him.

I think we also see alot of Timmons on the field. His speed will allow him to keep up with the WR's on the underneath routes.

I think the key here isn't stopping Fitz, I don't think you can. What we have to do is stop the guy (warner) who gets him the ball. Fitz can't hurt us if warner doesn't have time to get him the ball.

We need to blitz the middle of the line and get Warner out of the pocket. He's not NEARLY as accurate when he's moving around.

The other factor is hitting Warner early and often. We don't have to get the sack but we need to make Warner aware that we're there. I've been a Warner fan for a few years and have watched quite a few games this year. Once he's rattled he can really start the meltdown. Fumbles, interceptions and bad passes can start to build up.

One thing we cannot do is sit back in zone. He's as accurate a QB as there is and he will pick us apart if we just sit back and play bend but don't break. we need to roll with what got us here and that's pressure, pressure, pressure with help deep in case that pressure doesn't get there.

I think that's something that most fans and media miss about Lebeau. He's aggressive but he does it in a way where if it gets picked up, we have a "contingency" plan in place. A player is almost always back to prevent a huge play.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I have a theory about double teams.

I don't understand why teams double team using their best CB. I say use youre 2nd or 3rd best CB if he's going to get help. That allows your best CB to single up on the #2 WR.

IKE & B-Mac on Boldin or Breston
    Gay & Clark over FITZ

Allow Troy to play robber and take away the crossing stuff and occasionally put Timmons on the slot to jam.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

We can get pressure rushing 3-4 guys.

AZ needs 7 guys to block our 3-4 pass rushers which are going to likely be some combination of Debo, Smitty, Hampton, Keisel, Woodley, Farrior, and Timmons.

You've gotta double the first 3 guys. So even when we only rush 3, you've gotta keep 7 guys in to block in case we send the 4th guy. Your definitely not letting Wood, Keisel, Farrior, or Timmons potentially get a shot a Warner.

So that leaves us with 7-8 guys in coverage to defend 3 WRs.

I think we'll go more cover 2 than cover 3 so Warner can't kill us with the short passing game. And remember Warner's struggled against Tampa's cover 2 in the past.

Another thing I'd consider is putting Ike on Boldin if he's healthy or Breaston if Boldin's not up to par. Boldin is the YAC guy and Ike's our best tackler at CB and he'd shut that down.. And then double Fitz with BMac or Gay and Troy who both have better ball skills than Ike.

Bottom line, we've gotta get pressure with 3-4 guys and I'm sure we can.

Backup

User Info Menu

As much as I think Timmons needs to be dropped into coverage, I think his speed should be utilized on the blitz too.

Something I think Timmons should be coached on is taking the pass pro RB on straight ahead. I know this may seem contrary to what you may think but hear me out. LT isn't as strong as he needs to be yet so he ends up trying to go around the blocker, but what happens is he just gets redirected from the play.

If he takes him head on he has a chance to use his head of steam to walk the RB to the QB.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chavezz
    As much as I think Timmons needs to be dropped into coverage, I think his speed should be utilized on the blitz too.

Something I think Timmons should be coached on is taking the pass pro RB on straight ahead. I know this may seem contrary to what you may think but hear me out. LT isn't as strong as he needs to be yet so he ends up trying to go around the blocker, but what happens is he just gets redirected from the play.

If he takes him head on he has a chance to use his head of steam to walk the RB to the QB.
    He's so blazing fast, he'd knock the RB through the QB.

100$handshake

Kurt Warner is tough and has a high Yards/Attempt average but the one thing he does do alot is fumble. Look for Harrison and Woodley to try and strip the football alot even when they can't quite get there for a sack. Look for Warner to lose two fumbles in this game.