Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Whisenhunt Quote

Re: Whisenhunt Quote

Quote Originally Posted by Scarletfire1970
    Wasn't it Whiz who didn't want to wait to go through the process of the rooney's interviewing potential HC's?
    I could be wrong (again) but as I recall didn't the Cards offer Wiz the HC job and tell him that they didn't want to wait for an answer while the Rooneys went through their "process"? I seem to recall that he had a choice of either accepting the Cards HC job or turning it down and taking a chance on the Steelers hiring a different coach after fulfilling their "Rooney Rule" obligations.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler Shades
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarletfire1970
    Wasn't it Whiz who didn't want to wait to go through the process of the rooney's interviewing potential HC's?
    I could be wrong (again) but as I recall didn't the Cards offer Wiz the HC job and tell him that they didn't want to wait for an answer while the Rooneys went through their "process"? I seem to recall that he had a choice of either accepting the Cards HC job or turning it down and taking a chance on the Steelers hiring a different coach after fulfilling their "Rooney Rule" obligations.

That's pretty much how it went down. Whiz either took the AZ job, or risked not getting an HC job at all.

Benchwarmer

found this about Whiz's departure.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07016/754080-66.stm

"The Steelers never asked Whisenhunt to try to delay his decision in Arizona so they could hire him. Cardinals officials asked him for a decision Sunday, and he accepted their job offer without checking with the Steelers. Whisenhunt said the Steelers never told him he would not be hired by them.

"I was not told that. They were very honest and open about their process and I respect them for that. They obviously have been very successful with that because they haven't had but two coaches in a long time. I can say nothing but positive things about them, but, no, I was not told that I wasn't getting the job.

"I felt like the situation presented itself to me and it was a tough decision because, like I said, Pittsburgh's been so special to me and my family. We just felt we had to do it."

First published on January 16, 2007 at 12:00 am"

Pro Bowler

The interesting thing about all this is that (according to Shefter on NFLN) it was Grimm and not Whiz who was the other finalist for the job opposite Tomlin. And Whiz even mentioned the fact that he accepted the Arizona job even before the Rooneys had decided on Coach Mike. So its not like Whiz chose Arizona over the Steelers or that the Rooneys chose Tomlin over Whiz. Just a bunch of hype if you ask me.

If anything, I remember that Whiz was mostly upset with Cowher for not pushing him as his successor to the Rooneys. But at that point, Cowher didn't seem to care about much.