Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Rooney Rule

[quote=stlrz d]
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy
    Quote Originally Posted by "stlrz d":3ajtsbsw
    Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit
    The Browns hired Mangini without interviewing a black candidate. Same with the Broncos. And the Jets are interviewing a bunch of prospective HCs and as far as I know, none are black.

So what's the deal with the Rooney Rule and how its enforced and/or interpreted?
    What about the Colts? They aren't interviewing.

I'm surprised no one wants to talk to John Mitchell.
    Jim Caldwell had it in his contract that if Dungy retires he's the man. That is an automatic exemption from the Rooney Rule.
    Why didn't they put that in some black coaches contract?
    Jim Caldwell is black.

[/quote:3ajtsbsw]
    I knew that - not sure that many others did... i've got a feeling this thread is about to take a turn for the worst...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille
    I knew that - not sure that many others did... i've got a feeling this thread is about to take a turn for the worst...
    Me too.

Legend

User Info Menu

[quote=stlrz d]
    Quote Originally Posted by "stlrz d":2f0shkcs
    The Browns hired Mangini without interviewing a black candidate. Same with the Broncos. And the Jets are interviewing a bunch of prospective HCs and as far as I know, none are black.

So what's the deal with the Rooney Rule and how its enforced and/or interpreted?

Jim Caldwell had it in his contract that if Dungy retires he's the man. That is an automatic exemption from the Rooney Rule.
    Jim Caldwell is black.

[/quote:2f0shkcs]

good then. i didn't realize that.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by snarky
    On a side note, I do wish everybody would stop getting all twisted up over the rooney rule. It addressed what the NFL saw as a PR problem. Not sure what percentage of NFL viewers/attending fans are minorities, but it's hard to deny that owners had a solid history of hiring only white guys for HC positions (yes there were a few exceptions - but not many). It was a business decision for the league, end of story.

But all the b*tching about it only feeds the perception that somebody like Tomlin isn't qualified or deserving.

END RANT
    i always tend to think when a minority or woman gets hired, they're usually doubly qualified.

i saw a chris rock standup where he was talking about 4 black people live in his neighborhood, the rest are white.

the black folks are rock, jay-z, eddie murphy, and mary j blige (not sure if I got the names right, but they're 4 of the best people at what they resprectively do. best in their business types.)

then he goes on to say his neighbor is just a white dentist.

and all his rich white neighbors are average folks.

but the black folks have to be superstars to live in an average wealthy white folk neighborhood.

no one that takes a step up is ever qualified. it's what you do once you get the opportunity.

tomlin's doing great.

and he might be the youngest SuperBowl winning coach real soon.

Wooooooooooooo!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Didn't start this thread as a knock on Tomlin. I love the job he's doing. This team is focused and playing with an intensity we haven't had in years.

And I'm sorry I said "black coach" instead of "minority coach". I was just watching NFLN and see all these white coaches being interviewed and hired with little or no mention of minority candidates.

LasVegasGuy

[quote=stlrz d]
    Quote Originally Posted by "stlrz d":15yvf94v

Jim Caldwell is black.

[/quote:15yvf94v]

He also has a head coaching record of 26-63 in college. Obviously, qualified . Sounds like Dungy wanted a minority to take over for a minority and the Colts bought into it. Good thing Manning is at the helm otherwise this could get very ugly in INDY.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille
    Me too.
    Looks like we were right.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

rpm, my comment wasn't directed at you. Sorry if you misunderstood. It just seems to be a theme that any time minority coaches/rooney rule comes up there is a fair amount of whinging on about it by certain folks.
    In response to his pleas, an officer said: "You think we've never arrested somebody that's made national media? ... We deal with the Bengals all the time."

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848"]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy
    He also has a head coaching record of 26-63 in college. Obviously, qualified . Sounds like Dungy wanted a minority to take over for a minority and the Colts bought into it. Good thing Manning is at the helm otherwise this could get very ugly in INDY.
    is it possible that the move was about taking Peyton's QB coach and making him HC to keep Peyton happy? He is ... like.... the franchise.

Just sayin'.....
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d

Jim Caldwell is black.

look at Auburn and the Chizik hire... dude was 5-19 at Iowa State.. lost 10 straight games this year and had zero conference wins!!!

Iowa State was mad when he left... and Auburn said they liked the direction he had Iowa State headed in.

Turner Gill(black) turned the worst college team in D1 into a conference champion in 2 years...

To quote my Dad.. "Chizik mush have one hell of a personality"
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"