Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Former Steelers Player and Coach Dungy Retires

Legend

User Info Menu

Former Steelers Player and Coach Dungy Retires

[url="http://www.freep.com/article/20090112/SPORTS11/90112053/1059/SPORTS11/Coach+Tony+Dungy+retires+from+Colts"]http://www.freep.com/article/20090112/S ... from+Colts[/url]

Coach Tony Dungy retires from Colts

By MIKE CHAPPELL • INDIANAPOLIS STAR • January 12, 2009

INDIANAPOLIS — Tony Dungy has decided to retire after seven record-setting seasons with the Indianapolis Colts. Associate head coach Jim Caldwell will succeed him.

The Jackson, Mich., native informed owner Jim Irsay of his decision last weekend after discussing it with his wife, Lauren, and family. He had contemplated retirement at the end of the past several seasons, but always decided to return.

Not this time.

Dungy, 53, walks away as the most successful coach in Colts history with an overall record of 92-33, including playoffs. He directed the team into the postseason in each of his seven seasons, highlighted by him becoming the first black coach to win a Super Bowl when Indianapolis defeated the Chicago Bears, 29-17, after the 2006 season.

The Colts’ latest playoff trip ended Jan. 3 with an overtime loss at San Diego. It was the team’s second straight playoff-opening loss to the Chargers.

Including his stint with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Dungy is the only coach since the 1970 NFL/AFL merger to direct a team into the playoffs in 10 consecutive seasons.

Caldwell, 53, has been in line to succeed Dungy since he was promoted to associate head coach 12 months ago.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Former Steelers Player and Coach Dungy Retires

As much as I hate the Colts, living now in Indiana and having to deal with these so-called die hards , I have the utmost respect for coach Dungy. He is very deserving of any praises that come his way, and the NFL just lost a bit of pristine character.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Coach Dungy is one of the good guys.

He will be missed but I wish him well.

All the best.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MeetJoeGreene
    Coach Dungy is one of the good guys.

He will be missed but I wish him well.

All the best.
    Agreed, 100% MJG. Even when he wore those other colors, I always said to myself ... he's a Steeler, and he played for Chuck Noll. Not much better one can do than that. He seemed like a decent man too. Maybe he'll want to join the Steelers FO!

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Mike Tomlin came from the Tony Dungy coaching tree and Tony Dungy came from the Chuck Noll coaching tree. Therefore, using the transitive property, Mike Tomlin comes from the Chuck Noll coaching tree.

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Mike Tomlin came from the Tony Dungy coaching tree and Tony Dungy came from the Chuck Noll coaching tree. Therefore, using the transitive property, Mike Tomlin comes from the Chuck Noll coaching tree.

I hear you... I love them both but Dungy has definitely branched off and planted his own roots.

I don't want to get all sister soulja but the Steelers have really done wonders for black men in football. That really needs to be commended.. some may hate the Rooney rule and yeah it may have run it's course and no longer needed but beyond that....

Didn't Bradshaw replace an injured black QB in 1972?.. J.Gilliam(pardon the spelling) just shows that the Rooney's didn't give a fugh about what people thought...

to this day the Steelers have been great when it comes to character and their players...

gotta love it.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher

I hear you... I love them both but Dungy has definitely branched off and planted his own roots.

I don't want to get all sister soulja but the Steelers have really done wonders for black men in football. That really needs to be commended.. some may hate the Rooney rule and yeah it may have run it's course and no longer needed but beyond that....

Didn't Bradshaw replace an injured black QB in 1972?.. J.Gilliam(pardon the spelling) just shows that the Rooney's didn't give a fugh about what people thought...

to this day the Steelers have been great when it comes to character and their players...

gotta love it.
    In Dungy's case I guess that can be looked at two ways. Wasn't he supposed to be the successor to Noll and then left when the Rooneys anointed Noll "coach for life"?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Much respect to Coach Dungy

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit
    Much respect to Coach Dungy
    It's is not only fans of the Colts, Bucs, Vikes, and Steelers that are giving to Coach Dungy. The entire league respects the guy. In contrast, when Bellitwat hangs up the hoodie, the entire league will give him one big fat . One does things the right way and is universally admired, even if he only won one championship. The other is a scumbag who will be universally reviled because he stole multiple championships.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

The league is lesser by his absence.

“If there is no passion in your life, then have you really lived? Find your passion, whatever it may be. Become it, and let it become you and you will find great things happen FOR you, TO you and BECAUSE of you.”
    T. Alan Armstrong