Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Importance of Running Game

Legend

User Info Menu

Importance of Running Game

Anyone that watched Titans/Ravens got a first hand view of the importance of a strong running game in the playoffs. When Titans' Johnson went down their running was completely altered. Without that threat, Ravens could sit back and wait for the pass. This formula should sound familiar...it's what the Steelers do to most teams.

It looks like the Ravens got beat up pretty good in this game, so that's a good thing.

frunko1

Re: Importance of Running Game

What made me happy is that a healthy parker can run similar to chris johnson on the edges. He just has to get into that mindset again.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

White still had some success and so did Collins . . . turnovers killed them.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast
    Anyone that watched Titans/Ravens got a first hand view of the importance of a strong running game in the playoffs. When Titans' Johnson went down their running was completely altered. Without that threat, Ravens could sit back and wait for the pass. This formula should sound familiar...it's what the Steelers do to most teams.

It looks like the Ravens got beat up pretty good in this game, so that's a good thing.
    Funny NC, I was just about to begin a thread on tomorrow's gameplan and offensively it was centered on the need to set the pass up with the run. I think we need to make a concerted effort to get Willie on the edge against the Ravens. It's not only his forte but it also seems to be an area that Chris Johnson exploited quite nicely today (cut back on big run dually noted). We need to attack the edge with some quick passes to the receivers in the flats and some quick flares to the backs as well, but I want to primarily see us attack their perimeter with Parker.

Haloti Nata (sp?) is one tough SOB and Ray Ray can still fill pretty well (that lights out smack-down of the Tennesse TE on the sideline dually noted). Let's get those linebackers cheating up and out (especially with Suggs maybe sidelined) and open the play action pass to Miller or Ward (especially with Rolle maybe sidelined).

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel

Funny NC, I was just about to begin a thread on tomorrow's gameplan and offensively it was centered on the need to set the pass up with the run. I think we need to make a concerted effort to get Willie on the edge against the Ravens. It's not only his forte but it also seems to be an area that Chris Johnson exploited quite nicely today (cut back on big run dually noted). We need to attack the edge with some quick passes to the receivers in the flats and some quick flares to the backs as well, but I want to primarily see us attack their perimeter with Parker.

Haloti Nata (sp?) is one tough SOB and Ray Ray can still fill pretty well (that lights out smack-down of the Tennesse TE on the sideline dually noted). Let's get those linebackers cheating up and out (especially with Suggs maybe sidelined) and open the play action pass to Miller or Ward (especially with Rolle maybe sidelined).
    uhh, we gotta beat the chargers first, and that game starts about 4:30 tomorrow.
    if willie can get the rock running against the bolts, then we can discuss game-planning against the ravens.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelcityrules!!

uhh, we gotta beat the chargers first, and that game starts about 4:30 tomorrow.
    if willie can get the rock running against the bolts, then we can discuss game-planning against the ravens.
    Holy crap man, I feel so stupid. I was totally talking about the game plan against the Ravens should we face them and thinking about tomorrow's game...I mis-typed as a result. I get that we have to win tomorrow and said as much in another thread.

I don't want to come across as completely looking past SD.

It is kind of easy though.

Hey the plan's not that much different for tomorrow either. Don't give Ben the opportunity to make the mistake and get that running game going. Stay away from Jamal Williams in the middle and pound the edge.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Gotta take out the LightningDolts first. But practicing the outside run against them isn't a bad way to go.

We have to get FWP re-established and mix it up with GRuss and MM giving some power on short yardage.

The time for the Steelers running game to get reinvigorated is right now.
    Steelers...On The STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...etsteelfk7.jpg
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelcityrules!!

Holy crap man, I feel so stupid. I was totally talking about the game plan against the Ravens should we face them and thinking about tomorrow's game...I mis-typed as a result. I get that we have to win tomorrow and said as much in another thread.

Hey the plan's not that much different for tomorrow either. Don't give Ben the opportunity to make the mistake and get that running game going. Stay away from Jamal Williams in the middle and pound the edge.
    I'm like anderson cooper... "keepin em' honest"

we gotta establish the run, as you said, on ANYONE we face. that will get the pass game going.

delhomme just got worked over by the cards like it's no-ones binnesss.
    ouch...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

[quote=steelcityrules!!]
    Quote Originally Posted by "steelcityrules!!":1mzsi9kj

I'm like anderson cooper... "keepin em' honest"

we gotta establish the run, as you said, on ANYONE we face. that will get the pass game going.

delhomme just got worked over by the cards like it's no-ones binnesss.
    ouch... [/quote:1mzsi9kj]

Five picks...ouch.

I wonder how hard their fans will be pushing for a change at quarterback in the offseason?

Backup

User Info Menu

Titans have a better OL. I doubt we run the ball the way the Titans did with Johnson.
    The Steelers’ went through seven consecutive drafts (2003-09) without taking an offensive lineman in the first two rounds, the longest such streak by any franchise this century.