Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In retrospect: how good was the Steelers 07 draft?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: In retrospect: how good was the Steelers 07 draft?

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    Timmons has played ok, but I'm still a bit down on him. He is fast with a decent burst, but I'd expect that as a first round pick in the top half of the draft that his play would demand that the coaches start him full time. He simply hasn't done that yet. Foote deserves a lot of credit for holding off Timmons and forcing the time share, but I still expect more from Timmons.
    I thought you guys should have taken Jon Beason instead that year in the 1st.

I will admit though that Timmons has showed some promise this season. He is really quick, we'll see how he does in year 3...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelTorch
    Note I said 07.

I was just thinking it over, and it turns out that draft was pretty dang good. We got:

Lawrence Timmons - starter

Lamarr Woodley - Starter

Dan Sepulveda - Starter (would be had he not been injured before this season)

Matt Spaeth - 2nd String TE, active participator and fills in very nicely in Miller's absence

William Gay - proved to be a very capable CB in McFadden's absence

Those are 5 guys right there who actively contribute to the team. But what makes this stand out is that many were calling this a wasted draft (even me for a while). As it turns out, all but a couple are still with this team and will be here for a while. Shows you what I know.

Now, if only Colbert would learn how to draft OL and DL.
    Still too early to tell but it looks promising so far.

Don't forget to include the UDFAs from that class - Capizzi, Davis, Russell, Stapleton, Dekker

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy
    Note I said 07.

I was just thinking it over, and it turns out that draft was pretty dang good. We got:

Lamarr Woodley - Starter

Matt Spaeth - 2nd String TE, active participator and fills in very nicely in Miller's absence

Those are 5 guys right there who actively contribute to the team. But what makes this stand out is that many were calling this a wasted draft (even me for a while). As it turns out, all but a couple are still with this team and will be here for a while. Shows you what I know.

Don't forget to include the UDFAs from that class - Capizzi, Davis, Russell, Stapleton, Dekker
    nice calls....
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

100$handshake

We had some hope for the 2007 draft class even last year despite limited playing time from almost everyone. Everyone agreed Woodley would be a beast a big upgrade over Haggans. Timmons was a big IF but he did show some speed and quickness on ST. Gay was playing well on ST. Sep had an average year as a punter which we would kill for now. Spaeth was iffy.

This year's class hasn't shown the same promise. Mendy might be a star but who knows? Limas has had a very tough year and he'll need to step it up big time next training camp. Davis and Hills are always inactive so we have no clue what to expect from them.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy
    Note I said 07.

Lamarr Woodley - Starter

You beat me to it! I was just getting ready to post that!
    The contributors that are on the team from this draft class is awesome

Timmons - part time starter
    Woodley - starter and stud who makes
    Spaeth - contributor to offense as 2nd TE
    Sep - punter for the foreseeable future
    Gay - steady CB that will probably slide into the 2nd or 3rd spot next year
    Russell - short yardage back and regular KR
    Stapleton - starting RG for majority of the season

That is seven players that came in last year that are making significant contributions to a 12-4 team (except Sep), not easy to find drafts other than the Giants that are better than that! Nice job Mr. Colbert, another one of those this year and we could be very steady for a long time!! Now get some dang offensive lineman!
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>

Backup

User Info Menu

good post. very promising draft class, for sure. i hope to be reflecting similarly next year regarding mendy, limas, davis, etc. patrick bailey has already made a name for himself this season. our rook of the year...not bad for an undrafted FA from duke.

Legend

User Info Menu

As a footnote it was the first post-Cowher draft and it seems to be better than the previous three under Cowher. 2008 was also IMO a solid draft.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

This is a stupid thread.....

Everyone knows that you evaluate a draft class after the first pre season game, and then maybe again after starters are announced that year.

Waiting this long takes way too much patience.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    i also hated the pick but spaeth has changed my mind a bit. he has great hands and when miller missed a couple games spaeth was great in that role. blocking is technique just like anything and spaeth is very young so hopefully he will improve in that area
    I'm also among those who hated the pick of Spaeth at the time. He really showed his value when Miller went down.

Woodley and Gay were both great picks, and Sepulvda should turn out to be a solid contributor for years to come.

It's a shame that the Jets moved up ahead of the Steelers to grab Revis. Imagine Revis and Ike starting, with McFadden, Gay and Townsend available in the nickel and dime packages. That would be a phenomenal secondary with a ton of depth.

Timmons has played ok, but I'm still a bit down on him. He is fast with a decent burst, but I'd expect that as a first round pick in the top half of the draft that his play would demand that the coaches start him full time. He simply hasn't done that yet. Foote deserves a lot of credit for holding off Timmons and forcing the time share, but I still expect more from Timmons.
    i remember watching the draft and hoping the jets wouldnt take revis. he is going to be an elite cb in the nfl if you dont consider him one already which could be debateable. i really like what i saw from timmons this season. it is a night and day difference from last season and he is still so young, so its hard for me to not like that pick.

Backup

User Info Menu

I hated the idea of trading up to take a punter. Even if it was in the 4th round. I wasn't crazy about drafting a TE that high either but I could live with it. I hope the FO has similar luck with drafting OL this year. I also hope that Hills shows himself to be an NFL starter. That would help with the rebuilding of the OL.
    The Steelers’ went through seven consecutive drafts (2003-09) without taking an offensive lineman in the first two rounds, the longest such streak by any franchise this century.