Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In retrospect: how good was the Steelers 07 draft?

Pro Bowler

In retrospect: how good was the Steelers 07 draft?

Note I said 07.

I was just thinking it over, and it turns out that draft was pretty dang good. We got:

Lawrence Timmons - starter

Lamarr Woodley - Starter

Dan Sepulveda - Starter (would be had he not been injured before this season)

Matt Spaeth - 2nd String TE, active participator and fills in very nicely in Miller's absence

William Gay - proved to be a very capable CB in McFadden's absence

Those are 5 guys right there who actively contribute to the team. But what makes this stand out is that many were calling this a wasted draft (even me for a while). As it turns out, all but a couple are still with this team and will be here for a while. Shows you what I know.

Now, if only Colbert would learn how to draft OL and DL.

Starter

Re: In retrospect: how good was the Steelers 07 draft?

very good thread...now is when you can begin to start to evaluate a draft class...the only pick i am not crazy about is spaeth, but we run a double tight end set...

however, look at the 3 defensive big time players we got in timmons, woodley, and gay...sepulveda will be a great punter for years to come IMO...

i hope we can look at the 2008 draft class in a few years in similar light
    "The standard is the standard" Mike Tomlin

Good post, this draft class has really strengthened this awsome defense. Hopefully, we can be just as successful bolstering the offense this year.

Just wish McBean would have worked out . . . I thought he had mega potential.

Spaeth has not impressed me . . . he just appears too soft for the NFL and i'd rather have a dominant blocker since we don't throw to the 2nd TE much.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

I wasn't crazy about the Spaeth pick either; however, he's bascially a receiving TE, so, lets give him next year which will be his third to see what he turns into. We all may be pleasantly surprised next year when he matures as an NFL receiver. There have been flashes, but, not enough consistency.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    I wasn't crazy about the Spaeth pick either; however, he's bascially a receiving TE, so, lets give him next year which will be his third to see what he turns into. We all may be pleasantly surprised next year when he matures as an NFL receiver. There have been flashes, but, not enough consistency.

Pappy
    i also hated the pick but spaeth has changed my mind a bit. he has great hands and when miller missed a couple games spaeth was great in that role. blocking is technique just like anything and spaeth is very young so hopefully he will improve in that area

Legend

Spaeth was a solid third round pick. He plays over 50% of the plays in our offense. The fact Ben doesn't throw to him isn't his fault.

I'll take a third round pick who gets into 50% of the plays any draft year.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Pro Bowler

Sepulvda has proven how valuable he is by being injured this year.

Pro Bowler

Not a bad draft year for the whole division:

Bengals:
    Leon Hall - Starter
    Marvin White - Starter
    Chinedum Ndukwe - Starter

Ravens:
    Ben Grubbs - Starter
    Marshal Yanda - Somewhat Starter
    Yamon Figurs - Solid ST player
    Le'Ron McClain - Starter - Pro Bowler

Browns:
    Joe Thomas - Starter - Pro Bowler
    Brady Quinn - Somewhat Starter
    Eric Wright - Starter
    Brandon McDonald - Starter

Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    i also hated the pick but spaeth has changed my mind a bit. he has great hands and when miller missed a couple games spaeth was great in that role. blocking is technique just like anything and spaeth is very young so hopefully he will improve in that area
    I'm also among those who hated the pick of Spaeth at the time. He really showed his value when Miller went down.

Woodley and Gay were both great picks, and Sepulvda should turn out to be a solid contributor for years to come.

It's a shame that the Jets moved up ahead of the Steelers to grab Revis. Imagine Revis and Ike starting, with McFadden, Gay and Townsend available in the nickel and dime packages. That would be a phenomenal secondary with a ton of depth.

Timmons has played ok, but I'm still a bit down on him. He is fast with a decent burst, but I'd expect that as a first round pick in the top half of the draft that his play would demand that the coaches start him full time. He simply hasn't done that yet. Foote deserves a lot of credit for holding off Timmons and forcing the time share, but I still expect more from Timmons.