Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: OT: I am just not interested in the BCS title game

Backup

User Info Menu

Re: OT: I am just not interested in the BCS title game

Quote Originally Posted by Chachi
    I will not watch.

But, I have never been much for college football anyway.

I saw the last quarter of the Texas-OS game and that is it for bowl games.

Heck, that was it for college football this entire year.

It does nothing for me.
    Ok.... lied.

I found a feed from FOX sports on line that shows multiple angles.

I am watching the entire game from the overhead cable cam.

From this angle you really get a much better feel for just how fast everything is.

No announcers. No stats. No graphics. No Commercials. just straight from the cable cam.

I wish I could watch every steeler game like this.

Here is the link...

[url="http://bcs.foxsports.com/"]http://bcs.foxsports.com/[/url]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Turned out to be a great game. Glad I tuned in! Either way this system needs fixed because I still feel like the true champion isn't resolved. How cool would it be for Utah to face Florida next week? Urban Meyer against his former team! It would be fun!!!

<a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jhansle1
    Oh, and one more thing about college football.

Ever since super midget "or whatever you call it" football (youngest age) coaches teach good sportsmanship.

Then, in the NFL, sportsmanship is brought up again. Teams "kneel" when the game is over because there's no need to score again.. GAME OVER.

However, in COLLEGE football, you have to RUN up the points because the COMPUTER doesn't know the difference, it likes "STYLE POINTS". The concept of needing "STYLE POINTS" is ridiculous and completely goes against the concept of "SPORTSMANSHIP". Why is it necessary to score another touchdown when the scores 53-7? Because, the COMPUTER says so, thats why... But yet any human being watching the game knows theres no difference and that you wouldn't reward a team an extra point (or whatever it is) because they scored again and made it 60-7. It's sad. I would think that our society is more intelligent than that and the right people would realize that its unfair and inaccurate.

There is no sportsmanship in college, none at all, as long as the BCS is involved. And it's sad that every other level (including the NFL) preaches sportsmanship but the "true academic, college" level doesn't...
    Just a quick correction...the BCS computer factors DOWN margin of victory, it's the human voters - the same ones who admitted they didn't watch Utah - who are more influenced by running up the score. But you are right - the ideal of amateur sportsmanship has been ruined by the ranking system & relentless hype.

Hype is why I don't really care for college football. The rankings are hype based on speculation, the records are based on hype by running over out-classed teams, the awards are hype based upon inflated numbers & sports information directors, the championship is based on hype where pandering & scheming to get votes is accepted. Not to mention that the BCS has the complicity of the sports media to build up the best money-generating, publicity-garnering teams, conferences & players at the expense of
    others. Look what's happened to the Heisman...shouldn't winning the POY trophy be more than the joke it's become? College football at it's heart is exciting & fun - take in a William & Mary game on a crisp Saturday afternoon to remember - but not when it's being run like the beauty pageant it's become...you know the drill - Miss Utah is always a runner-up, but always finishes behind the likes of Miss Florida, Miss California & Miss Texas.

So some things to ponder as the Fox Sports Tebow-hype machine ("he's one of the 5 greatest players ever!"...my a$$) blathers on.
    - Why does USC's loss to Oregon St. mean more than Florida's loss to Ole Miss?
    - Why is Oklahoma running up the score an issue, but Florida waxing Citadel (70-19), Kentucky (63-5), Hawaii (56-10) isn't?
    - Why is Tebow being credited with two national championships when Chris Leak was the starting QB that season & took 80% of the snaps in the championship game?
    - If beating Alabama made Florida #1 even with one loss, then what does that make Utah?
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life

Ever since super midget "or whatever you call it" football (youngest age) coaches teach good sportsmanship.

Then, in the NFL, sportsmanship is brought up again. Teams "kneel" when the game is over because there's no need to score again.. GAME OVER.

However, in COLLEGE football, you have to RUN up the points because the COMPUTER doesn't know the difference, it likes "STYLE POINTS". The concept of needing "STYLE POINTS" is ridiculous and completely goes against the concept of "SPORTSMANSHIP". Why is it necessary to score another touchdown when the scores 53-7? Because, the COMPUTER says so, thats why... But yet any human being watching the game knows theres no difference and that you wouldn't reward a team an extra point (or whatever it is) because they scored again and made it 60-7. It's sad. I would think that our society is more intelligent than that and the right people would realize that its unfair and inaccurate.

There is no sportsmanship in college, none at all, as long as the BCS is involved. And it's sad that every other level (including the NFL) preaches sportsmanship but the "true academic, college" level doesn't...
    Just a quick correction...the BCS computer factors DOWN margin of victory, it's the human voters - the same ones who admitted they didn't watch Utah - who are more influenced by running up the score. But you are right - the ideal of amateur sportsmanship has been ruined by the ranking system & relentless hype.

Hype is why I don't really care for college football. The rankings are hype based on speculation, the records are based on hype by running over out-classed teams, the awards are hype based upon inflated numbers & sports information directors, the championship is based on hype where pandering & scheming to get votes is accepted. Not to mention that the BCS has the complicity of the sports media to build up the best money-generating, publicity-garnering teams, conferences & players at the expense of
    others. Look what's happened to the Heisman...shouldn't winning the POY trophy be more than the joke it's become? College football at it's heart is exciting & fun - take in a William & Mary game on a crisp Saturday afternoon to remember - but not when it's being run like the beauty pageant it's become...you know the drill - Miss Utah is always a runner-up, but always finishes behind the likes of Miss Florida, Miss California & Miss Texas.

So some things to ponder as the Fox Sports Tebow-hype machine ("he's one of the 5 greatest players ever!"...my a$$) blathers on.
    I take it you haven't watched Tebow?
    because USC faces a much smoother road in the PAC 10 then Florida does in the SEC
    - Why is Oklahoma running up the score an issue, but Florida waxing Citadel (70-19), Kentucky (63-5), Hawaii (56-10) isn't?
    because Florida pulls their starters when the score is lopsided, Oklahoma didn't
    - Why is Tebow being credited with two national championships when Chris Leak was the starting QB that season & took 80% of the snaps in the championship game?
    if you watched UF that year, you would see how crucial those snaps were for UF. Leak was important during the season, but how often do you hear announces talk about players from a few years ago?
    - If beating Alabama made Florida #1 even with one loss, then what does that make Utah?
    probably #4 behind texas and usc. If you want to be considered for the national championship, get out of your joke of a conference or schedule more difficult out of conference games.
    overall I hate the BCS and wish we had a playoff system, but, i don't see us getting one.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It won't happen soon, but it will happen. It seems this thing has legs in congress...I saw an article on cnn.com on 1/8/09 where not only the president and the texas representative are harping on about this, but its gaining steam as an unlawful setup for the big conferences to only be getting a shot at the big money that bcs games bring. 2011 or 2014 would be the first chances that the playoff gets any full steam. I think 2011 is the last year of ESPN's new BCS tv deal. And 2014 is the last year of the BCS agreement in general. (I hope I didn't get any of those facts wrong, its what i remember from the article.)
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life

I take it you haven't watched Tebow?
    because USC faces a much smoother road in the PAC 10 then Florida does in the SEC
    because Florida pulls their starters when the score is lopsided, Oklahoma didn't
    if you watched UF that year, you would see how crucial those snaps were for UF. Leak was important during the season, but how often do you hear announces talk about players from a few years ago?
    probably #4 behind texas and usc. If you want to be considered for the national championship, get out of your joke of a conference or schedule more difficult out of conference games.
    overall I hate the BCS and wish we had a playoff system, but, i don't see us getting one.
    You must be a UF fan. Congrats on the win but I'm not convinced that they were the best in the country. Unless its overwhelming, I'm never convinced in college football. I agree that its exciting but knowing the "bowl" setup and how the rankings work, I completely lose interest It's the same argument year in and year out but yet college football doesn't do anything about it. In my eyes, its a joke.

We are all Steelers fans (and obvious NFL fans) so I ask you does this logic work?

If we beat the Ravens and the Ravens beat the Titans does that mean we would have beaten the Titans? No, right? It's all about matchups and how these teams matchup offensively, defensively, etc against their opponent. But college football utilizes that logic when ranking teams for the national championship.. it just doesn't make sense.

People are utilizing that logic to say Utah should be the champion or play in a championship which I can't blame them. Texas is doing the same thing by saying they beat Oklahoma. Well, Oklahoma beat TT so they have the same argument right back at Texas. Then USC can say to Texas, that you beat Oklahoma, and you barely won against a OSU team that we dominated, so we should be in the big game. The argument can be used over and over again.

It's just sad how it works at the collegiate football level.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yeah it just doesn't work. Didn't Oregon St beat USC? But Penn St beat Oregon St. But USC beat Penn St. Non sense at its best...stupid college football voting/polls/bcs can all go to hel!
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Birt...I live in Florida, I get to hear how wonderful Tebow is 24-7 (I'm a better person just for living in the same state as him ). IMO he's overrated, benefiting from a gimmick offense & a coach that loves to play the media. Utah did everything they were supposed to - they won every game (which is more than what Florida did), what else could they have done? Florida lost a game, a HOME game, to Ole Miss...yes that SEC POWERHOUSE - Ole Miss. Yet Meyer claims this to be one of the greatest teams of all time...HEY URBAN - great teams don't lose at home to Ole Miss! As for the schedule, the SEC is not the top to bottom jauggernaut it's made out to be, after all this is the same conference that has Vanderbilt, Miss St., Kentucky plus the nosediving Tennessee, Auburn & Arkansas. But then-again, I'm sure Tebow could beat them all single-handed anyway just like he beat Oklahoma last night.

The kind of BS we're hearing now is why I love the NFL - there are no rankings...everything is settled on the field.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Steel I live in Gainesville so i feel what you're saying, BUT to say that Tebow is overrated is ridiculous. is saying that Tebow is the best college football player ever (during his 3rd season) any worse than saying that Lebron James is the best ever in the NBA 2 weeks into his 1st season? and yea we should have beaten Ole miss (if you want to claim to be the best). But anyone who says the SEC isn't the toughest conference in college football doesn't watch college football. There's a reason 3 of the last 4 National champs came from the SEC. it's that good.
    the only reason i feel sorry for Utah is because the only tough team they scheduled (UM) sucked this year.