Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rooney Rule

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Rooney Rule

The Browns hired Mangini without interviewing a black candidate. Same with the Broncos. And the Jets are interviewing a bunch of prospective HCs and as far as I know, none are black.

So what's the deal with the Rooney Rule and how its enforced and/or interpreted?

LasVegasGuy

Re: Rooney Rule

Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit
    The Browns hired Mangini without interviewing a black candidate. Same with the Broncos. And the Jets are interviewing a bunch of prospective HCs and as far as I know, none are black.

So what's the deal with the Rooney Rule and how its enforced and/or interpreted?

This only applies to the Steelers everyone is exempt.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

They will probably get hit with a fine like the Lions did.
    In response to his pleas, an officer said: "You think we've never arrested somebody that's made national media? ... We deal with the Bengals all the time."

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848"]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

What about the Colts? They aren't interviewing.

I'm surprised no one wants to talk to John Mitchell.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy

Jim Caldwell had it in his contract that if Dungy retires he's the man. That is an automatic exemption from the Rooney Rule.

Legend

User Info Menu

the rule is about "minority" candidates... not "black" candidates.. for example, Ron Rivera counts...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Mid-March Mock
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Jermiah Trotter, ILB, Clemson
    3.98 - Christian Jones, OT, Texas

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d

Jim Caldwell had it in his contract that if Dungy retires he's the man. That is an automatic exemption from the Rooney Rule.
    Why didn't they put that in some black coaches contract?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I know that Raheem Morris and Leslie Frazier were interviewing for several of the open positions...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d

Why didn't they put that in some black coaches contract?
    Jim Caldwell is black.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

On a side note, I do wish everybody would stop getting all twisted up over the rooney rule. It addressed what the NFL saw as a PR problem. Not sure what percentage of NFL viewers/attending fans are minorities, but it's hard to deny that owners had a solid history of hiring only white guys for HC positions (yes there were a few exceptions - but not many). It was a business decision for the league, end of story.

But all the b*tching about it only feeds the perception that somebody like Tomlin isn't qualified or deserving.

END RANT
    In response to his pleas, an officer said: "You think we've never arrested somebody that's made national media? ... We deal with the Bengals all the time."

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848"]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848[/url]