Thread: Steelers Three Man Front Alignment (New Wrinkle)

Steelers Three Man Front Alignment (New Wrinkle)

1st time poster on this board..... I am hoping to get some feedback when the steelers show 7-8 guys at the line and then end up only committing 3 to rush the quarterback. I have seen this package dialed up maybe only a dozen times but I can recall (the TD to Owens, I believe the 4th & 20 given up with the Titans) that we rarely have been successful when we show this.

My question is what do you think if we still showed several on the line before the snap but this time have everyone drop off to leave only two guys rushing then have a corner (maybe delay a split second after the snap so he doesnt declare himself too early) find a crease to rush the QB.

My point is the speed of a BMAC may elude an Offensive Lineman who would "at least on paper" pick him up too late. You may remember John Lynch runnig a variation of these delayed safety blitzes with Denver to some success.

The beauty of it is we would be able to drop all those backers in coverage to get the numbers advantage yet still hopefully not allow the quarterback to get comfortable and find someone.

I know Mr Lebeau has lived more football than I have been on earth but it just seems that you give any NFL QB 5+ seconds they will eventually find soemone breaking free on top or underneath coverage.

Any thoughts?

Hall of Famer

Re: Steelers Three Man Front Alignment (New Wrinkle)

I think that is the beauty of LeBeau's D, he blitzes anyone and drops anyone into coverage, you dont know where its coming from. I have seen Casey Hampton in coverage and any of the secondary blitzing at times. So I think they do work your wrinkle in at times when they think it might give them an advantage but mix it up with other configurations.

Welcome to the board jj!
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

We've stopped blitzing the DBs in general.

I've wondered if this is a Tomlin thing?

Guys,

Thanks for the replies. The talent on this defense is amazing where the players can take on hybrid roles and you almost feel like you can pick out plays as if you were playing a video game. I love the look of Casey not rushing. You show just enough of this to get on film and get the opposing coaches and quarterback one more thing to think about. Speaking of unorthodox defensive play calling, do you remember when Brett Kiesel was down in a DE stance only to run out and cover I believe was the TE Fletcher in that playoff game with the Colts during the Superbowl run? I never noticed it but that NFL show Playbook broke it down.

Another thing that I noticed is that the defense will blitz heavily in the beginning in the game to really disrupt any confidence buildling of the quarterback by hitting/knocking down/sacking him. Then later you will notice the quarterback will rush throws even though the pressure did not get close to him since the phychological impact damage was already done.

One last thing, I know this is not true but how many of you ever wondered if Mr Lebeau sometimes goes vanilla on the 1st and second drives not to show anything but to learn how the opposing team will attack with their game plan. I remember just this past year the Bengals rookie QB Fitzgerald (spelling) marched right down with some scripted decisive plays where he probably gained confidence. Maybe the Steelers were baiting him to believe these plays will be there all day only to shut him down completely or cause a mistake.

Thanks again for the comments

I definitely think that Lebeau is learning from the offense on their tendancies and what their game plan is early on. I think that the way the defense has played lights out in the third quarter this year is evidence of that. The D seems to get together at halftime and make the right adjustments.

Starter

Quote Originally Posted by flippy
    We've stopped blitzing the DBs in general.

I've wondered if this is a Tomlin thing?
    we have stopped blitzing the DB's in general...i'm glad to see we're not sending polamalu up the middle like we did so often last year...occassionally, you will see william gay or ike coming off of the edge, but not as often as we have in the past...

the key this year is that we're getting pressure only sending 4 guys, something we couldn't do consistantly a year ago...when you doing that, it sets up a lot of options defensively...
    "The standard is the standard" Mike Tomlin