Thread: Pitt Panthers

Backup

User Info Menu

Pitt Panthers

Congratulations on a nine win season and a trip to the Sun Bowl. Sadly their dubious 3-0 loss to a very good Oregon State team raises more questions about their offensiive coordinator, Matt Cavanaugh, as well as the qb situation. So big questions going into spring practice. With such a rich football history, it would be nice to see them stay on track to becoming a relavent football program again.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Pitt Panthers

I have to admit I don't follow the Panthers as closely as I would like, living in SEC country but I was able to watch them aquite a few times this year.

Maybe my observations are off, and I'd love to hear from people who really watch, but I don't think Stull is the answer. Not consistent and just not all that good.

Why can't Pitt get a top shelf QB? If I'm Wanny, I'm sitting in the living room of the best QB I can find and telling him my QB position is dire and he has a legitimate chance of starting (as long as he doens't completely crap the bed in camp) as a true freshman. They can't find a kid who wants a shot right out of the box?

It was great to watch the defense play well but it was hard to watch the O in the Sun Bowl.

Backup

User Info Menu

You're not off at all.

A quick summary since you're down south:

In Wanny's first two years there was, despite two losers, general enthusiasm about his recruiting efforts. The negative feelings revolved around the offense. Tyler Palko was entering his last year after a stellar career at Pitt and was even a Heisman darkhorse. But a down year marked by allot of headscratching play calls and embarrassing losses at Ohio U and a frustrating come-from-behind loss at U Conn had people criticizing Wanny and the OC Matt Cavanuagh.

Last year, spring practice and traning camp were disasterous with a number of season ending o-line injuries leaving them with little depth or experience. Bill Stull got the qb start but only played 3/4 of the first game at Mich St. before sustaining a season ending thumb injury in his throwing hand. Stull looked pretty good for what little any fan saw of him. And Pitt played that game admirably in a close loss which caused some excitement. After some platooning, 5 star recruit and true freshman Pat Bostick played the bulk of the year. He was exceptionally disappointing given his stature as one of Wanny's prize big time recruits. They won 5 games and again there was allot of discussion and criticism of Wanny and Cav's playcalling and gameplanning. But then came the big 13-9 Pitt upset at WVA that knocked them out of the national championship and breathed life and excitement into the Pitt program. They finished 6-6, sold allot of season tickets, got more good recruits and started this season ranked #25.

Bill Stull regained starting qb but suffered a devastating home opener loss against Bowling Green and there was renewed coaching criticisms. They went on to win nine games. Stull was okay average the first half of the season but regressed, and by the end of the year and the Sun bowl has become one of the worst Pitt qb's ever. And yet again mixed feelings about the coaching.

To answer your question, it's been a four year debate on whether they're unluckly with injuries and recruiting busts versus they simply can't coach offense. Pitt is a qb away from being a really good team. One would think any smart high school qb recruit would want to look seriously at Pitt. But some argue that because of Matt Cav's track record, a qb prospect may not want Pitt. Time will tell. My own opinion is that Wanny's expertise is defense and recruiting and he needs a really good OC to be a complete HC- but Matt Cavanaugh isn't that guy. So despite their best season under Wannstedt there's allot of ambiguity from the fan perspective and a big time fan and booster push to get a new OC.

Legend

User Info Menu

Outstanding re-cap Stallion. Thank you kindly. I tried to always read up on what folks thought on the old Trib board and watch as often as I could. Pitt just seemed so up and down all season but it always seemed to mostly revolve around the O and not moving the ball.

Is there any talk of a new O-coordinator or does DW think Cavanaugh is the man? And is Bostwick a bust or is there any chance of him turning that 5 star potential into actual performance?

Backup

User Info Menu

Doesn't look that way:

[url="http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_605733.html"]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 05733.html[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Good link. Let's hope the QB position battle is as 'open' as Wanny says it is and it brings out the best in all of them.