Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HISTORY OF THE NO. 2 SEED IN THE AFC PLAYOFFS

Hall of Famer

HISTORY OF THE NO. 2 SEED IN THE AFC PLAYOFFS

(since playoffs expanded to 12 teams in 1990)

2007... Indianapolis —......Lost to San Diego in divisional round
    2006... Baltimore —.........Lost to Indianapolis in divisional round
    2005... Denver —............Beat New England, lost to Pittsburgh in AFC Championship Game
    2004... New England — ...Won Super Bowl, beating Indianapolis, Pittsburgh and Philadelphia
    2003... Kansas City —......Lost to Indianapolis in divisional round
    2002... Tennessee —.......Beat Pittsburgh, lost to Oakland in AFC Championship Game
    2001... New England — ...Won Super Bowl, beating Oakland, Pittsburgh and St. Louis
    2000... Oakland —...........Beat Miami, lost to Baltimore in AFC Championship Game
    1999... Indianapolis —......Lost to Tennessee in divisional round
    1998... N.Y. Jets —.........Beat Jacksonville, lost to Denver in AFC Championship Game
    1997... Pittsburgh —........Beat New England, lost to Denver in AFC Championship Game
    1996... New England —.....Beat New England, beat Jacksonville, lost to Green Bay in Super Bowl
    1995... Pittsburgh —.........Beat Buffalo, beat Indianapolis, lost to Dallas in Super Bowl
    1994... San Diego —.........Beat Miami, beat Pittsburgh, lost to San Francisco in Super Bowl
    1993... Houston —...........Lost to Kansas City in divisional round
    1992... Miami —..............Beat San Diego, lost to Buffalo in AFC Championship Game
    1991... Denver —............Beat Houston, lost to Buffalo in AFC Championship Game
    1990... L.A. Raiders —......Beat Cincinnati, lost to Buffalo in AFC Championship Game

Starter

Re: HISTORY OF THE NO. 2 SEED IN THE AFC PLAYOFFS

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    1995... Pittsburgh —.........Beat Buffalo, beat Indianapolis, lost thanks to Neil O'Donnell in Super Bowl

(since playoffs expanded to 12 teams in 1990)

2007... Indianapolis —......Lost to San Diego in divisional round
    2006... Baltimore —.........Lost to Indianapolis in divisional round
    2005... Denver —............Beat New England, lost to Pittsburgh in AFC Championship Game
    2004... New England — ...Won Super Bowl, beating Indianapolis, Pittsburgh and Philadelphia
    2003... Kansas City —......Lost to Indianapolis in divisional round
    2002... Tennessee —.......Beat Pittsburgh, lost to Oakland in AFC Championship Game
    2001... New England — ...Won Super Bowl, beating Oakland, Pittsburgh and St. Louis
    2000... Oakland —...........Beat Miami, lost to Baltimore in AFC Championship Game
    1999... Indianapolis —......Lost to Tennessee in divisional round
    1998... N.Y. Jets —.........Beat Jacksonville, lost to Denver in AFC Championship Game
    1997... Pittsburgh —........Beat New England, lost to Denver in AFC Championship Game
    1996... New England —.....Beat New England , beat Jacksonville, lost to Green Bay in Super Bowl1995... Pittsburgh —.........Beat Buffalo, beat Indianapolis, lost to Dallas in Super Bowl
    1994... San Diego —.........Beat Miami, beat Pittsburgh, lost to San Francisco in Super Bowl
    1993... Houston —...........Lost to Kansas City in divisional round
    1992... Miami —..............Beat San Diego, lost to Buffalo in AFC Championship Game
    1991... Denver —............Beat Houston, lost to Buffalo in AFC Championship Game
    1990... L.A. Raiders —......Beat Cincinnati, lost to Buffalo in AFC Championship Game
    Actually, they beat us in the divisional round that year. I remember the game, unfortunately, although I drank heavily that afternoon trying to erase it... Nut Sack the Quarterback with a vintage performance as we laid a 27 - 3 egg in a fog in Foxboro.

Here's hoping that we're the 3rd champ coming from the AFC 2 seed

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!!!

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by TallyStiller
    Actually, they beat us in the divisional round that year.
    ... "Upon further review", you are correct... I blame the author/publisher of the list (Steelers Digest).... Not the messenger (me) that reproduced the information for your viewing pleasure...

... Great catch...

Quote Originally Posted by TallyStiller
    Actually, they beat us in the divisional round that year.
    ... "Upon further review", you are correct... I blame the author/publisher of the list (Steelers Digest).... Not the messenger (me) that reproduced the information for your viewing pleasure...

... Great catch...
    Appreciate all the info you post. Quality stuff. Thanks.

Interesting stuff NKy. Wonder how the #1 seeds have done in the playoffs? There has been some discussion on this board that we are better off with the #2 seed and that the #1 wasn't worth playing "all out" to win.
    “Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity”

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler Shades
    Interesting stuff NKy. Wonder how the #1 seeds have done in the playoffs? There has been some discussion on this board that we are better off with the #2 seed and that the #1 wasn't worth playing "all out" to win.

In the last 5 years, only 1 number one seed has won the super bowl if I remember correctly...

And I can't remember the exact stat, but in last ten years or so, something like a 50-50 chance that the team that will win it all is playing this weekend (either a wild card team or lower seeded division winner). It has happened the past 3 years.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler Shades
    If I had to bet, Id say that Pittsburgh did not 'show its hand' in that game. Not saying that Tenn did either, but I think we were more apt to 'try things out' with an eye toward meeting in the playoffs. I also dont think they were inclined to provide good tape for other playoff teams to view...and that is the real benefit of having sewed up a 1st round bye 3 games before the end of the season.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

[quote=Iron Shiek]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Steeler Shades":2sorkx57

In the last 5 years, only 1 number one seed has won the super bowl if I remember correctly...

And I can't remember the exact stat, but in last ten years or so, something like a 50-50 chance that the team that will win it all is playing this weekend (either a wild card team or lower seeded division winner). It has happened the past 3 years.[/quote:2sorkx57]

Never said it wasn't worth playing for... I said it wasn't worth showing all the packages you have on D.

and recent numbers do not lie.. the #1 seed is over rated and I would much rather lose now and win later then the other way around.

Starter

2008... Pittsburgh—......Beat Miami in Divisional round, beat Tennessee in AFC Championship Game, beat Carolina in Super Bowl XLIII