Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Willie Colon Our Most Consistent OL...

Re: Willie Colon Our Most Consistent OL...

I personally like Mack from Cal- best center in the draft, amazingly strong but fast with pulling ability- kind of like a Webster but bigger. I would love to see the Steelers get a crack at him in the first round but he may be gone. Otherwise I would go best guard available in the first and best center available in the second.

It's just so telling to me that a guy like Tunch Ilkin who's a complete homer and buddies with all the Steelers and would never criticize (especially the o-line) sais on TV that they need to spend their first three picks on o-line! Who wouldn't agree- there's not a good o-lineman on this team and Starks will more likely be gone than resigned.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by SteelStallion
    I personally like Mack from Cal- best center in the draft, amazingly strong but fast with pulling ability- kind of like a Webster but bigger. I would love to see the Steelers get a crack at him in the first round but he may be gone. Otherwise I would go best guard available in the first and best center available in the second.

It's just so telling to me that a guy like Tunch Ilkin who's a complete homer and buddies with all the Steelers and would never criticize (especially the o-line) sais on TV that they need to spend their first three picks on o-line! Who wouldn't agree- there's not a good o-lineman on this team and Starks will more likely be gone than resigned.
    I would say Smith is gone. They Steelers will not over pay Gross and they will also not go into the draft looking for their opening day starter at LT....Even if they retain Essex. If Starks is looking for Gross money than maybe they would consider Gross. Do you really think this organization is going into the draft without a proven, starting LT to protect the $100 million dollar man??? This is the Steelers...That's like a Lion's personnel decision! Say the Steelers used that philosophy last year with a loaded draft at LT. They would have missed out and Essex would have been the starter for the majority of the year! Simple math...Smith or Starks! Smith is most likely a back-up in this league with his ailing back. It's not sexy...But Starks will have to be retained! If he's looking for the big contract...The Steelers might be in trouble unless they get lucky in the draft! The Steelers have put themselves in a bad position. So bad that they might have to put a big contract on the table for a LT in FA. Keep your fingers crossed!

As for no good OL on this team...Not true in my opinion. I would say all five could start on some NFL teams. Have you watch other teams besides the Steelers? Ther is no doubt some youth & talent needs to be injected on both the OL & DL. But I will tell you this...An experienced OL coach would go a long way with this bunch! 3 of the 5(Colon,Kemo,&Stapleton) are either in their 1st or 2nd year of full starting roles. 1 of the 5 is in his 3rd full season at starting (Starks). Hartwig is the only seasoned vet with 6 years as a starter. 5 OL with a combined experience of 13 years of starting experience (An average of 2.6 per player). Young...Can't cover up poor coaching with an inexperienced group like this! I would throw some good money at an experienced & successful OL coach. Mudd from the Colts seems to work wonders with young OL. Get him!

"If you were in the trenches when you played football...You know how much of an asset it is to have a guy on each side of you that has been at that position with you."

I used to be in the trenches and I agree with this. That is why we will NOT see a total change along the OL next year. Many say there will be as many as 4 new OLmen and if that is the case, we'll be picking in the top 10 of the 2010 draft because we'll wind up with a 4-12 record next year. Cohesiveness along the OL is everything. I highly doubt that Colon will be moved to G. They would have moved him there by now if that were an option. And the coaches only see him as a OT. If Kemo isn't back, we have plenty of G's to fill in with Simmons, Essex, Stapleton, and Parquet. As someone stated earlier, the OT position is where we'll draft. And don't forget about Smith. He could be back for cheap since he was out all year. Starks may get a big contract from someone else too.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73
    "If you were in the trenches when you played football...You know how much of an asset it is to have a guy on each side of you that has been at that position with you."

I used to be in the trenches and I agree with this. That is why we will NOT see a total change along the OL next year. Many say there will be as many as 4 new OLmen and if that is the case, we'll be picking in the top 10 of the 2010 draft because we'll wind up with a 4-12 record next year. Cohesiveness along the OL is everything. I highly doubt that Colon will be moved to G. They would have moved him there by now if that were an option. And the coaches only see him as a OT. If Kemo isn't back, we have plenty of G's to fill in with Simmons, Essex, Stapleton, and Parquet. As someone stated earlier, the OT position is where we'll draft. And don't forget about Smith. He could be back for cheap since he was out all year. Starks may get a big contract from someone else too.
    Smith staying at a big discount might be the way the Steelers could save some big money too. They could let Starks walk and draft the best LT in the 1st or 2nd. Smith could be the insurance just in case he isn't ready. Could sign Essex as additional insurance. I personally think we could upgrade from Starks through the draft. But I highly doubt the Steelers go into the draft without having either Smith or Starks signed. I think OT is the target. I don't know why Colon wasn't even tried at G. Tunch said he was their best option at RT. That makes some sense. During camp, Tunch thought Capizzi might push Colon and challenge him for the RT position. That was of course before his injury. Maybe Capizzi is the next UDFA success story for the Steelers. I think by the end of the playoffs we will know the direction the Steelers will be going on the OL. One bad game by Starks and it will make up their minds for them. Smith is not in the longterm plan and may get his best offer from the Steelers which might only be a 1-2 year deal. There are a few "middle of the road" OT in FA which are Steeler signings. I expect them to at least look at a them. Any Lion FA OL???