Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sweed/Washington

Pro Bowler

Re: Sweed/Washington

The WR issue is much more complicated than most realize & has more questions than answers. Since most WR's don't contribute much their 1st year & most are on a 3 year development plan, then this leaves the following questions for the team to consider going forward...
    Long-term -
    1. Where does the team stand on Hines?...How many years does he have left?
    2. Would Hines ever accept being the #3 WR?
    3. Based on those two answers, is Santonio worth his 2nd contract & is he a #1 WR?
    4. Is Nate capable of being #2 for a whole season while Hines/Santonio/Sweed works itself out?
    5. Is Sweed an "Irvin" or a "Harper"?...meaning - is he a potential #1 or #2 WR?
    Short-term...
    6. If Nate signs, then what does that signal for Santonio's contract negotiations?
    7. If Nate leaves, are any of the coaches confident enough in Sweed to be the #3 WR?
    8. If Nate leaves & Sweed can't be #3, does that mean signing a veteran WR?
    9. If Nate leaves, what kind of priority is drafting a WR this year?
    10. Are there any WR's in the draft that are worth losing Santonio?
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

A very important thing to remember about Sweed is that he mised most of his senior year. So not only is he adjusting to the NFL but also getting used to playing competetively again. That's a huge transition.Without the injury , he wouldn't even have been there late in the 2nd.I think he's going to be great. There were gamesat Texas when he was near unstoppable.

That being said , I would still like to resign Nate. You never know how long it will take a rookie wr to come alng and we don't know how many years Hines has left.

Backup

I'd say Nate's future is in an symbiotic relationship with how this team does in the post season.

Cowgirls don't get to superbowl, Larry Brown don't get the jack he got.

Steelers don't get to the superbowl, O'Donnell doesn't get big money with the Jets.

We go one and done, he will stay.

We go 2 and done, it's 50-50 depending on how good his numbers are.

We get to the SB and he has decent numbers, heck, just not awful numbers, he is gone.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by TallyStiller
    I hate it, but we likely need to draft another receiver this year... probably a mid round pick who can also return punts and kicks.

If Washington releases ARE, I wouldn't be averse to bringing him back here for the right money. Wasn't his fault that Snyder offered to ludicrously overpay him... now he's got his money, maybe he'll sign for less and go back to where he can win.
    You would hate this even more then but if Derrick Williams from Penn State is available when we pick in Round 1 I would grab him in a nanosecond. he is not only a quality receiver but his contributions and the "touches" he would get as a kick and punt returner would more than justify the pick.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

2014 Draft

1. Eric Ebron, TE
    2. Calvin Pryor, S
    3 (Comp). Jaylen Watkins, CB
    4. Justin Ellis, DT/NT
    5a. Brandon Coleman, WR
    5b. Brent Urban, DE
    6. Prince Shembo, OLB
    7a. Aaron Colvin, CB
    7b. Storm Johnson, RB

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    I hate it, but we likely need to draft another receiver this year... probably a mid round pick who can also return punts and kicks.

If Washington releases ARE, I wouldn't be averse to bringing him back here for the right money. Wasn't his fault that Snyder offered to ludicrously overpay him... now he's got his money, maybe he'll sign for less and go back to where he can win.
    You would hate this even more then but if Derrick Williams from Penn State is available when we pick in Round 1 I would grab him in a nanosecond. he is not only a quality receiver but his contributions and the "touches" he would get as a kick and punt returner would more than justify the pick.
    I don't think Williams is a first round pick. Remember, no WR were taken in the first round last year. This year, Michael Crabtree should go very early (top 10). There are several other guys that are better WR's than Williams, such as Darrius Heyward-Bey, Jeremy Maclin, and Percy Harvin. Although I think a dynamic returner is a draft need (who is also either a WR or CB), I wouldn't consider it until the compensatory selection that we get for Faneca. My first 3 picks will be used to fortify the trenches on both sides of the line. That is much more important than return yardage in my mind.

1.15 WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M
    2.46 TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington
    3.97c ILB Shayne Skov, Stanford
    4.118 CB Philip Gaines, Rice
    5.157 OT James Hurst, North Carolina
    5.173c RB Jerrick McKinnon, Georgia Southern
    6.192 CB Walt Aikens, Liberty
    6.215c DE Deandre Coleman, California
    7.230 NT Zack Kerr, Delaware

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo

I don't think Williams is a first round pick. Remember, no WR were taken in the first round last year. This year, Michael Crabtree should go very early (top 10). There are several other guys that are better WR's than Williams, such as Darrius Heyward-Bey, Jeremy Maclin, and Percy Harvin. Although I think a dynamic returner is a draft need (who is also either a WR or CB), I wouldn't consider it until the compensatory selection that we get for Faneca. My first 3 picks will be used to fortify the trenches on both sides of the line. That is much more important than return yardage in my mind.

I agree. Even as a PSU Homer, I wouldn't take Williams in the first round. Depending on his combine performance, he may or may not last until the end of round 3. But I wouldn't take him any earlier.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by MeetJoeGreene
    Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85
    Rumor here in DC is that Randle El is not cutting it as a #2 so they will be looking to upgrade. More likely they would make a play for Whose-your-mama but they might be willing to throw a boatload of cash Nate's way.

Sweed has looked lost most of the time this year but I'm still hopeful he can start to pick things up. Receivers in general take 2-3 years to develop so he still has time to improve.
    I will probably get thrashed for this, but if Nate goes, I would strongly consider signing ARE to a 1-2 year reasonable contract as a number 3 or 4 receiver.
    thrashed? no way, i agree 100% i would love to have are back at with a contract for 1-2 years and reasonable money. wouldnt that be hillarious if we got are back for a little more money than nate gets paid a year and nate signed with the skins for big money

Washington has talent. The Steelers in my opinion do not have a well structured passing game. They run as many sandlot plays with Ben scrambling as they do programmed routes.

Washington would be a star in N.E. for example.