The WR issue is much more complicated than most realize & has more questions than answers. Since most WR's don't contribute much their 1st year & most are on a 3 year development plan, then this leaves the following questions for the team to consider going forward...
1. Where does the team stand on Hines?...How many years does he have left?
2. Would Hines ever accept being the #3 WR?
3. Based on those two answers, is Santonio worth his 2nd contract & is he a #1 WR?
4. Is Nate capable of being #2 for a whole season while Hines/Santonio/Sweed works itself out?
5. Is Sweed an "Irvin" or a "Harper"?...meaning - is he a potential #1 or #2 WR?
6. If Nate signs, then what does that signal for Santonio's contract negotiations?
7. If Nate leaves, are any of the coaches confident enough in Sweed to be the #3 WR?
8. If Nate leaves & Sweed can't be #3, does that mean signing a veteran WR?
9. If Nate leaves, what kind of priority is drafting a WR this year?
10. Are there any WR's in the draft that are worth losing Santonio?