Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sweed/Washington

Re: Sweed/Washington

Normaly i dont expect much from a rookie but Sweed's poor play with basic fundamentals like hold and block in the back and another non call that he could have been easily called on shows me they really need to make a effort to resign Washington.
    I haven't been all that happy with Sweed's production this year either but I have a hard time basing that on a holding call or block in the back yesterday. I mean, the best blocking WR ever, Hines Ward get's called for holding quite a bit.

I am not particularly worried about Sweed yet. I think next year will tell the tale for him. It feels a bit like the Timmons story. Barely plays during season #1, people start grumbling about the lack of production etc. WR is a notoriously difficult position for rookies to learn with all the blocking schemes, hot routes etc so I'm not too surpised that it's been a difficult transition for Sweed.

I do expect, however that he'll be much more ready to contribute next season, given the opportunity.

VirgilBosett

Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    Quote Originally Posted by VirgilBosett
    I would not be surprised to see Washington go for, and get, starter money somewhere. Teams are constantly overpaying FAs.

Ward may be getting up in age, but hes still a hell of a player, and Holmes should be signed again if the price is right. Id try to keep Nate, and Sweed needs to start righting things down!!!
    haha i thought that was really funny. i know teams over pay all the time but nate washington?? really??? why would any team want him starting based on what he has done so far in his career?
    Players of Nate's caliber are overpaid via FA every year. He's an almost perfect candidate for it really. 4 yr vet with roughly 1800 yards and about 12 TD's on a team that is primarily known to run first.

He's also put up those numbers as a number 3/4 guy. I could see a GM or two thinking he's on the verge of being a steady number two......not talking about big money here, just slightly bigger than he's worth....and in no way am I trying to justify him signing with another team for more money .

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    I would not be surprised to see Washington go for, and get, starter money somewhere. Teams are constantly overpaying FAs.

Ward may be getting up in age, but hes still a hell of a player, and Holmes should be signed again if the price is right. Id try to keep Nate, and Sweed needs to start righting things down!!!
    haha i thought that was really funny. i know teams over pay all the time but nate washington?? really??? why would any team want him starting based on what he has done so far in his career?
    Players of Nate's caliber are overpaid via FA every year. He's an almost perfect candidate for it really. 4 yr vet with roughly 1800 yards and about 12 TD's on a team that is primarily known to run first.

He's also put up those numbers as a number 3/4 guy. I could see a GM or two thinking he's on the verge of being a steady number two......not talking about big money here, just slightly bigger than he's worth....and in no way am I trying to justify him signing with another team for more money .
    i guess its just hard for me to grasp the concept of nate starting and getting paid a lot. its probably just because of all the drops he has had in the past few years. its too bad because he is a great # 3 wr

VirgilBosett

I agree.....he's way to inconsistent to be a solid 1 or 2, but the way some of these teams reach during FA, it would not surprise me.

Washington will get starter money and the Steelers won't want to pay that. Plus they need to save money to sign a FA OL. I would rather sign a solid starter at OL. Even if that means letting both Washington and McFadden go.
    The Steelers went through seven consecutive drafts (2003-09) without taking an offensive lineman in the first two rounds, the longest such streak by any franchise this century.

Rumor here in DC is that Randle El is not cutting it as a #2 so they will be looking to upgrade. More likely they would make a play for Whose-your-mama but they might be willing to throw a boatload of cash Nate's way.

Sweed has looked lost most of the time this year but I'm still hopeful he can start to pick things up. Receivers in general take 2-3 years to develop so he still has time to improve.
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85
    Rumor here in DC is that Randle El is not cutting it as a #2 so they will be looking to upgrade. More likely they would make a play for Whose-your-mama but they might be willing to throw a boatload of cash Nate's way.

Sweed has looked lost most of the time this year but I'm still hopeful he can start to pick things up. Receivers in general take 2-3 years to develop so he still has time to improve.
    I will probably get thrashed for this, but if Nate goes, I would strongly consider signing ARE to a 1-2 year reasonable contract as a number 3 or 4 receiver.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85

That would be funny...Dan Snyder making up for paying a Steelers' 3rd WR starter's money by paying another Steelers' 3rd WR starter's money. Brilliant!

I hate it, but we likely need to draft another receiver this year... probably a mid round pick who can also return punts and kicks.

If Washington releases ARE, I wouldn't be averse to bringing him back here for the right money. Wasn't his fault that Snyder offered to ludicrously overpay him... now he's got his money, maybe he'll sign for less and go back to where he can win.

Starter

limas is just thinking too much right now, it's obvious...when you do that, you commit stupid penalties because you are pressing...think about the stage he's playing on now? he has to adjust and i think he will..

i think limas is going to be a stud #3 if nate leaves...which i don't see happening...i see nate resigning with us and then limas continuing his development...i really think he's a special talent and has what it takes to be a legit and reliable NFL recevier with enormous ability...
    "The standard is the standard" Mike Tomlin