Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steelers promising they won't shun the run in playoffs

Starter

User Info Menu

Re: Steelers promising they won't shun the run in playoffs

Could the schedule have something to do with it? Since that 105 yard game for FWP vs. Cleveland, we've played defenses ranked (not in order) 2, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12 in the league. The only respite was Cincy at #23 (twice) and San Diego (#25, in the snow).

Still remember holding rushing champ Earl Campbell to 15 yards on 17 carries in bad weather in the playoffs in '79 - good defenses often get the best of even good offenses. I have a hunch we'll look a lot better this week against Cleveland - and against our first round playoff opponent if it's not New England, as among Miami, San Diego, Denver, and Indy, Indy's #12 is the best total D.

I'm just happy with the 11 (soon to be 12) victories against the toughest schedule in the league in 30+ years.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TallyStiller
    I'm just happy with the 11 (soon to be 12) victories against the toughest schedule in the league in 30+ years.
    Do you have a source for that stat? Is it based on our opponents actual W-L percentages this year or in some previous time?
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler Shades
    Do you have a source for that stat? Is it based on our opponents actual W-L percentages this year or in some previous time?
    The toughest schedule stat was based on last year's records... this year's records aren't as strong -

Dallas, San Diego, NE, Indy, Jax, Cleveland have all seen win totals drop, but Baltimore, Philly, NYG, and Tennessee are better.

That said, records aren't always the best indicator... sometimes schedule plays a part - I consider our 15 - 1 from '04 to have been a soft 15 - 1 because of the schedule, just like Miami and New England will have soft 11 - 5's if they get them this year. Those "soft" records, like Tennessee's this year, often lead to playoff upsets because teams get better seeds than they can defend.

To me, the proof is in the defenses we've played. Like I say, and this is total YPG average, we've played 2 (Baltimore) twice, 3 (Philly), 4 (Washington ?!?) 5 (Tennessee), 7 (NYG), 8 (Dallas), 10 (New England), 11 (Jacksonville), and 12 (Indy) in 10 of our last 13 games. San Diego is 25 overall, but 11 vs. the run, and we played them in a snowstorm. The only two "easy marks" since week 3 have been Cincy there and here, and we scored 38 and 27 in those.

Last year, we played a bunch of weak teams - the NFC West, the AFC East... lead off the season Cleveland, Buffalo, San Fran, Arizona, Seattle, and just rolled people (except for Whiz). It was aesthetically pleasing, but set up by the fact that those were wall to wall pathetic defenses. We hit the wall later.

This year, every week has been a wall. We'll see where we get in the playoffs, but I'm certain we're tested this year.

Starter

User Info Menu

The toughest schedule stat was based on last year's records... this year's records aren't as strong -

Dallas, San Diego, NE, Indy, Jax, Cleveland have all seen win totals drop, but Baltimore, Philly, NYG, and Tennessee are better.

That said, records aren't always the best indicator... sometimes schedule plays a part - I consider our 15 - 1 from '04 to have been a soft 15 - 1 because of the schedule, just like Miami and New England will have soft 11 - 5's if they get them this year. Those "soft" records, like Tennessee's this year, often lead to playoff upsets because teams get better seeds than they can defend.

To me, the proof is in the defenses we've played. Like I say, and this is total YPG average, we've played 2 (Baltimore) twice, 3 (Philly), 4 (Washington ?!?) 5 (Tennessee), 7 (NYG), 8 (Dallas), 10 (New England), 11 (Jacksonville), and 12 (Indy) in 10 of our last 13 games. San Diego is 25 overall, but 11 vs. the run, and we played them in a snowstorm. The only two "easy marks" since week 3 have been Cincy there and here, and we scored 38 and 27 in those.

Last year, we played a bunch of weak teams - the NFC West, the AFC East... lead off the season Cleveland, Buffalo, San Fran, Arizona, Seattle, and just rolled people (except for Whiz). It was aesthetically pleasing, but set up by the fact that those were wall to wall pathetic defenses. We hit the wall later.

This year, every week has been a wall. We'll see where we get in the playoffs, but I'm certain we're tested this year.

Agree 100%.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

Rookie

User Info Menu

The problem is that Arians isn't opportunistic with his running plays. He's extremely scripted with his play calling and isn't taking what the defense is giving him.

How many times over this year have we seen them force a run with 8 in the box? If all you ever do is run w/ 8 in the box then you're bound to dig yourself a hole you can't get out of. The running game looks like crap because it barely gains any yards and you fall behind in the passing game as well.

If we want to succeed in running at this point, we pretty much have to set it up with the pass or get better at reading the defense so we know the right running play to call as a counter.

Arians needs to be a little more creative.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by anjang86
    The problem is that Arians isn't opportunistic with his running plays. He's extremely scripted with his play calling and isn't taking what the defense is giving him.

How many times over this year have we seen them force a run with 8 in the box? If all you ever do is run w/ 8 in the box then you're bound to dig yourself a hole you can't get out of. The running game looks like crap because it barely gains any yards and you fall behind in the passing game as well.

If we want to succeed in running at this point, we pretty much have to set it up with the pass or get better at reading the defense so we know the right running play to call as a counter.

Arians needs to be a little more creative.
    True. And I hope that the team that hires him is patient enough to let him learn that.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

we have played against the best D's this year week after week for a stretch and barely got by most of them. I really hope we go with Moore in the playoffs and really become pass first cause Arians run calling is terrible. Ben isn't the best at reading D's either so I hope he doesn't keep switching pass plays to runs.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Our first priority should be making sure we can pass the ball effectively. Had we been able to do that, we might not have lost to the Titans. If we can do that, the running game will come. Don't buy into the hype that you 'must' establish the run if you want to win a playoff game.

And for the record, we rushed Parker 19 times. It's not as if we weren't trying.