Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chan Gailey

Backup

User Info Menu

Re: Chan Gailey

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Before we all get carried away fondly "misremembering," does anyone know where we ranked in terms of rushing and passing with Gailey? What was our records?
    Sure I do!

1994 (Gailey as WR coach)

12-4, #1 rushing, #23 passing, #13 overall

1995 (Gailey as WR coach)

11-5, #12 rushing, #8 passing, #6 overall

1996 (Gailey as offensive coordinator)

10-6, #2 rushing, #27 passing, #15 overall

1997 (Gailey as offensive coordinator)

11-5, #1 rushing, #23 passing, #6 overall
    Before we bash the rankings:
    1995-Neil J E T S Jets Jets Jets
    1996-Mike Tomzak
    1997-Kordell Stewart (1 of his 2 good yrs)

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel
    In a friggin' heartbeat.
    x2

Starter

User Info Menu

Do Tomlin OR Ben have any kind of history with Chan Gailey? Just because we remember his tenure fondly (and absence can make the heart grow fonder... remember plenty of criticism of Gailey when HE was here, too) doesn't necessarily mean he gets hired based on his connections to the Cowher era Steelers, especially the Pre - Ben Cowher era.

Starter

User Info Menu

I would take him.

Backup

User Info Menu

Despite their record, Gailey has been doing very well in KC. My roommate is a chiefs fan so I've seen a lot of them. Gailey rebuilt his whole offense to fit around Thigpen. They use the pistol formation and other unique sets to fit their personnel the best. I do not think KC will fire him, even if they do change coaches.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelernation77
    Despite their record, Gailey has been doing very well in KC. My roommate is a chiefs fan so I've seen a lot of them. Gailey rebuilt his whole offense to fit around Thigpen. They use the pistol formation and other unique sets to fit their personnel the best. I do not think KC will fire him, even if they do change coaches.
    I would normally agree with you, but depending on who is hired as the new GM will determine whether Edwards stays. If Edwards gets fired, then I really do not see Gailey staying.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Starter

User Info Menu

one other thing-

if Gailey was the OC

i frikin' guarantee you, dennis dixon isn't inactive every damn game.

imagine having a goal line package that actually utilizes one of the teams best weapons?!??

Starter

User Info Menu

This is all idle speculation for two reasons...

a. For some insight into Tomlin's MO in managing a staff, I'd look first to his mentor, Tony Dungy, who got run from Tampa at least in part because of his stubborn refusal to throw Mike Shula, one of the worst OC's in league history, under the bus. Dungy is a loyalty guy - cut his teeth as a coach with Chuck Noll. If Tomlin proves to be similar - and I'm betting he will - he keeps his coaches.

b. Even if Tomlin decides to can BA (and truthfully, I think they spend the off season fixing the line and try again next year), he's going to reach for someone he has familiarity with or has worked with before. I'd look to Tampa or Minnesota for potential replacements before I'd look to old Cowher era retreads... especially since the only OC Ben had while he was here with BC was Whiz.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ANPSTEEL
    one other thing-

if Gailey was the OC

i frikin' guarantee you, dennis dixon isn't inactive every damn game.

imagine having a goal line package that actually utilizes one of the teams best weapons?!??
    By rule, a team's 3rd QB is designated inactive. They dress for the game, but only for emergency purposes. If you insert your inactive emergency 3rd QB during the game, you cannot put your 1st or 2nd string QB back into the game. Are you saying that you would make Leftwich your emergency 3rd QB and count on Dixon to be Ben's primary backup (considering Ben's considerable injury risk holding the ball behind that offensive line) just to be able to use the rook for a gimmick play here and there?

By the way, when we used Kordell as a "Slash" back when he was a rookie in our 1995 Super Bowl year, he wasn't the designated emergency 3rd QB. He was actually a 4th QB on our roster (Neil O'Donnell, Mike Tomczak, and Jim Miller were QB's on that team).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

I would like to see Gailey back here. Always hated seeing him wearing that stupid Cowboys star. *shudder*

And unlike some of yinz, I always like Mularkey and Whiz as OC too.

Creativity is the key...those three have it.

Not only does Arians not have a key, I think he slipped on the roller skate and bonked himself on the melon. (That key-roller skate reference is for some of the "senior" posters) :P