Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Ground Game

Backup

User Info Menu

The Ground Game

today was a bit of insight into how the playoffs could shake out.
    We have become accustomed to having our offense whip up a batch of miracles with 3 minutes to go after continually under-achieving for the first 3.5 quarters. The fumbles, interceptions, and average pass-blocking is being magnified by a complete lack of a running attack. The shift from a power running game to a pass-happy offense has left the team in a big pickle come cold weather and playoff-caliber opponents. If we don't employ some sort of effective running gameplan, Ben will continue to take too many risks and ultimately force too many throws and give up the ball.

I fear the stubborn attitude or lack of adjustability by Ariens is going to torpedo our season. He is not only a poor offensive coordinator, the chemisty with him and ben is just not there, as we witnessed today on the sidelines. (and all season, as much as ben tries to hide it)

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: The Ground Game

I honestly think we are better off w/ McHugh at FB or Davis in the game on 1st down over Spaeth or McHugh at TE.

I wonder if play action works better out of the I form over singleback. When an ILB has to key on a lead blocker it might be a better sell. I don't know, never really thought about it til now.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelcityrules!!
    today was a bit of insight into how the playoffs could shake out.
    We have become accustomed to having our offense whip up a batch of miracles with 3 minutes to go after continually under-achieving for the first 3.5 quarters. The fumbles, interceptions, and average pass-blocking is being magnified by a complete lack of a running attack. The shift from a power running game to a pass-happy offense has left the team in a big pickle come cold weather and playoff-caliber opponents. If we don't employ some sort of effective running gameplan, Ben will continue to take too many risks and ultimately force too many throws and give up the ball.

I fear the stubborn attitude or lack of adjustability by Ariens is going to torpedo our season. He is not only a poor offensive coordinator, the chemisty with him and ben is just not there, as we witnessed today on the sidelines. (and all season, as much as ben tries to hide it)

Logic in excess.

Rookie

User Info Menu

bottom line is that arians needs to go, we need to run the football ( especially on third and fourth ) for short yards, lastly we need some bigger running backs. Iam sick of seeing Parker get the ball and only achieve one or three yards on first and second down. I REALLY MISS THE BUS !!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

When i read the title of the thread, I was expecting a blank post. That would've summed up our ground game this year in a nutshell (or lack thereof)
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Backup

User Info Menu

I can honestly handle not having a running game. What i cannot handle is that we waste 20-30 plays a game handing it off for a gain of 1. I think at this point we know what we have and we need to just throw the ball much like the Eagles do.

Legend

User Info Menu

TEN committed to stopping the run.

I don't have a problem sticking with it. Sometimes you can break one off and all of a sudden you can start running well.

Starter

User Info Menu

The new rules make it less of a necessity to run the ball. The Pats have predicated their success on that principle. I think we CAN win with a stifling D and a few big plays to get us into the 20's (if we can get that many... ) if we can possess the ball and chew clock while throwing. To go ahead and completely cross my eras, this offense is better tthan the '74 SB IX winners' version. If our D is as good, we can win.

I can stand BA as little as anybody, but I gotta believe he's doing what he can with what we've got. We're starting Fat Max Starks at left tackle. Willie the Colon at right tackle. First year starters at both guard positions. A two time waiver wire guy at center. Is it possible our running game sucks because the same guys who can't block anybody in the passing game can't block anybody in the running game, either? I don't think a fullback helps much... he'll just get knocked backwards out of the non - existent creases in the line, too. Plays are getting made by D linemen, not linebackers. They're not even effectively blocking the FIRST level.

To quote Coach Norman Dale "My team is on the court"... we're gonna win... or lose... with what we've got, doing what we're doing at this point in the season. I don't see a flawless team out there, so we're in no worse shape than any of a half dozen other contenders.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorCal-Steeler
    I can honestly handle not having a running game. What i cannot handle is that we waste 20-30 plays a game handing it off for a gain of 1. I think at this point we know what we have and we need to just throw the ball much like the Eagles do.
    I think turning our offense into a one-dimensional system like the eagles is a terrible idea. the in-ability to pound our opponents down and chew clock will not only lead to Defenses pinning their ears back and destroying ben, but force him into bad decisions.

a punishing ground game is not only demoralizing to a defense, but in the waning moments of a game with a stout O-line, it's almost un-stoppable. we had that in 2005.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TallyStiller
    The new rules make it less of a necessity to run the ball. The Pats have predicated their success on that principle. I think we CAN win with a stifling D and a few big plays to get us into the 20's (if we can get that many... ) if we can possess the ball and chew clock while throwing. To go ahead and completely cross my eras, this offense is better tthan the '74 SB IX winners' version. If our D is as good, we can win.

I can stand BA as little as anybody, but I gotta believe he's doing what he can with what we've got. We're starting Fat Max Starks at left tackle. Willie the Colon at right tackle. First year starters at both guard positions. A two time waiver wire guy at center. Is it possible our running game sucks because the same guys who can't block anybody in the passing game can't block anybody in the running game, either? I don't think a fullback helps much... he'll just get knocked backwards out of the non - existent creases in the line, too. Plays are getting made by D linemen, not linebackers. They're not even effectively blocking the FIRST level.

To quote Coach Norman Dale "My team is on the court"... we're gonna win... or lose... with what we've got, doing what we're doing at this point in the season. I don't see a flawless team out there, so we're in no worse shape than any of a half dozen other contenders.
    my problem is, (and this is just one armchair QB's take) is that I think we actually have the personnel to make a serious go at the running game. we have a TE/FB in mchugh that is quite the crack-blocker. We also have a brusing RB in Russell, who hasn't been given a chance. Willie is practically useless without wide running lanes or a big lead blocker, and has been shut down all year. He can still play an important role in our offense, but there needs to be a balance, and he's absolutely terrible in short-yardage situations.

our O-line might not be full of pro-bowlers, and is a weak link, but they really aren't being utilized very well in the ariens schemes.