Thread: NEWS: Steelers' Bailey earns team's rookie award

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

NEWS: Steelers' Bailey earns team's rookie award

Steelers' Bailey earns team's rookie award
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Linebacker Patrick Bailey, an undrafted player from Duke who was released twice by the Steelers this year, earned the rookie of the year award today.

Veteran safety Ryan Clark earned The Chief award, which goes to the player who most exemplified the spirit of cooperation with the local news media and is named after franchise founder Art Rooney.

Both awards were selected by members of the Pittsburgh chapter of the Pro Football Writers.

Bailey made his mark on special teams, but not before some bumps in the road. He was released before the start of the season, Aug. 30, and signed to the practice squad the next day. He signed to the 53-man roster Sept. 20 but was released Oct. 4. He rejoined the 53-man roster Oct. 25 and has been active since.

Despite missing four games while not on the roster, Bailey is tied for third on the team with 12 special teams tackles, eight of them solo.

First published on December 17, 2008 at 3:47 pm
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

Backup

User Info Menu

Re: NEWS: Steelers' Bailey earns team's rookie award

Some rookie FAs have quietly made quite a difference on special teams. Bailey and Donovan Woods were both good finds. Woods is on the practice squad but made some tackles earlier in the year. Keyaron Fox has also done a very good job. Got to give Ligasheky some respect in that area.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I guess that pretty much underscores the pathetic contributions by this year's draft and rookie class. Here's to hoping they can come close the second year performances we got from last year's bunch.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel
    I guess that pretty much underscores the pathetic contributions by this year's draft and rookie class. Here's to hoping they can come close the second year performances we got from last year's bunch.
    I think they will. Medenhall's injury was unfortunate, but I think he'll bounce back. Receivers always take longer to develop, so Sweed being the #4 receiver doesn't really bother me. I think we'll all see how the staff feels about him when they decided whether or not to pay Washington more money. Davis has been a bit of a disappointment. I can only hope a year of intense lifting put some size on his slight frame. Tony Hills, well it's too early to tell. He supposedly had the athleticism, a year in the system should help. I still say we need an OT in the first round if possible. Dixon made the roster as the #3 QB, about as much as you can expect from a 5th round QB. I expect him to be backup for the Steelers for awhile as Batch retires and Leftwich leaves for greener pastures. Humpal looked good until his injury, I expect him to be in camp next year. Mundy is on the practice squad, good for a 7th round selection. I think he'll make the club down the road.

Starter

User Info Menu

had mendy not been injured, with the misfortunes we've had by FWP's injury, mendy would have seen plenty of opportunities to make a case for rookie of the year...
    "The standard is the standard" Mike Tomlin

Starter

User Info Menu

This year's rookie class underperforming (for various reasons) isn't a bad thing IMO, considering the team's record and position to this point.

All this does is give these guys another year of seasoning and it will be almost as if we have a double draft class next season when Mendenhall is healthy, Sweed is more comfortable and Davis (hopefully) will be ready to rock.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Well and we're 11-3. It's not like we needed so much help that five or six rookies were going to make the team and get tons of playing time. Look at the second year guys that have come on so well this year, Timmons and Woodley sure they were top picks but Gay was fifth rounder and he held down the starting corner spot pretty darn well. As a second year guy, Russel has played well also. I think Mendenhall, Sweed, Humpal and Hills are some interesting talent prospects that hopefully will come on strong next year. Maybe that third round linebacker can spell Harrison next year too.

and that may be all it's worth.
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.