Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4th and inches at the goal.....

Backup

User Info Menu

4th and inches at the goal.....

Call on the field stands.Game on the line.

What play do you call ? Or do you kick the fieldgoal ?

I have a definite opinion but I want to hear your thoughts first.

Anyone ?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: 4th and inches at the goal.....

Thank you for inventing this thread, it has been on my mind. Despite Crissy Collinsworth assertion that we were 'robbed' of that moment, you have to live with the officials decision so this is a pure flight of fancy. In my mind, you win the game at that moment and score the TD. No doubt. Ben, you have to give up a shoulder and make the 3 inch plunge. Plunge a dagger in their heart.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel
    In my mind, you win the game at that moment and score the TD. No doubt. Ben, you have to give up a shoulder and make the 3 inch plunge. Plunge a dagger in their heart.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Which Savran reported he would have
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ion1/sn1-1.jpg http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ns_44958-1.jpg
    South End Zone...Screaming My Head Off...Every Game! 111 consecutive and counting.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel
    Thank you for inventing this thread, it has been on my mind. Despite Crissy Collinsworth assertion that we were 'robbed' of that moment, you have to live with the officials decision so this is a pure flight of fancy. In my mind, you win the game at that moment and score the TD. No doubt. Ben, you have to give up a shoulder and make the 3 inch plunge. Plunge a dagger in their heart.
    My exact thoughts , almost.

I think Tomlin goes for it and I think that's the right move. I also think QB sneak,no doubt.Needing an inch , with that front 7 vs our o-line you can't have any backwards motion. Is Arians thinking the same thing ? Who the hell knows.

My only other thing I was thinking at the time with a sneak being almost a no brainer is that do they possibly put Dixon in ? I doubt it but he's the better athlete and Ben has the bum shoulder.I remember at that moment thinking Dixon over the top. Almost definitely not going to happen but I thought it would have been at least an option.

steeld95

Yeah, I don't see how they could stop Ben just moving the ball a few inches. He could probably take the snap and just place the ball over the line without even trying to push the pile...it was that close. QB sneak all the way.

Starter

User Info Menu

I would say qb sneak as well. Taking the field goal wouldn't be a bad decision there either, IMO we would have won in OT anyway.

Some day in a game that isn't so meaningful I'd like to see what Troy could do in a goaline situation, I'll bet he could fly over the pile. Deebo could probably go over or through the pile, he goes where he wants to go.

Another AS masterpiece.

Acero

I was watching the game with my dad, and upon the real-time view of the Holmes catch my impression was that indeed it WOULD be 4th and goal. We both looked at each other and agreed you go for the TD, but we were at odds as to what play to call. I suggested the QB sneak but he was leaning towards a fake give to the FB (putting Russell in at FB) and opposite-side pitch to the HB (Moore).

In an alternate universe they let the call on the field stand, but the Steelers still won, 13-9.

Legend

User Info Menu

There is no way I'd kick the FG. QB sneak right up the middle. If you can't get a couple of inches, you don't deserve to win.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

So let me up the ante here...

Those of you who say "I would go for it". Let's say Tomlin calls a sneak up the middle for Ben and he gets stuffed by Ngata.

How many of you here would nuke Tomlin and say he is a horrbile Head Coach and should have played for the tie.

I really am not expecting a answer here btw...I think my point is that as a head coach you will always be second-guessed regardless of the play call if you lose. There are people here--this is a generalization, I don't know who it is so I am really not singling anyone out here--who will say "go for it" and then nuke Tomlin if it doesn't work but then again would say if he kicks the FG and loses in OT the same damn thing.

I guess that's why HC's make the big dollars cause they are in that damned if you do, damned if you don't job...

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brothervad
    So let me up the ante here...

Those of you who say "I would go for it". Let's say Tomlin calls a sneak up the middle for Ben and he gets stuffed by Ngata.

How many of you here would nuke Tomlin and say he is a horrbile Head Coach and should have played for the tie.

I really am not expecting a answer here btw...I think my point is that as a head coach you will always be second-guessed regardless of the play call if you lose. There are people here--this is a generalization, I don't know who it is so I am really not singling anyone out here--who will say "go for it" and then nuke Tomlin if it doesn't work but then again would say if he kicks the FG and loses in OT the same damn thing.

I guess that's why HC's make the big dollars cause they are in that damned if you do, damned if you don't job...
    All coaches for the most part are good at ignoring monday morning quartebacks,including fans and media. That's part of the job description in a way.

A sneak wouldn't be second guessed by me personally. You absolutely can't waste movement going backwards with the push the Raven's d-line gets. Not neding an inch. From the one yard line , there's options. Not from the 3 inch line.