Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Year later, Fenaca gone so is running attack.

Legend

Re: Year later, Fenaca gone so is running attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Acero
    OK so it isn't Kreider, fine. That's why I made the ridiculous Matt Cushing comment... I know FB's have a short shelf life, with rare exceptions.

My point is we need a lead blocker for the HB. I'm not sure why they're so enamored with the 2 TE set. I know they sometimes shift the 2nd TE into a FB position, but it's just not the same. FB's are among the cheapest players on a roster, the Steelers have a history of finding good blocking FB's.

That's all I'm saying.
    When asked to do so McHugh has looked very capable. In my totally uninformed opinion I think that the ofense is whetted to the spread formation without a FB because in theory it takes defenders out of "the box" and takes blitz pressure off the OL.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Quote Originally Posted by brothervad
    Here is something that I think I have noticed when watching Willie run vs Moore run. I don't pretend to be an expert which is why I am asking others who know more here what they think.

It appears to me that FWP decision making is slow/non-existent...not necessarily his physical talents. What I mean by that is he often takes too long to determine where the hole is or he will not improvise if the hole opens elsewhere.

I understand the blocking is often set up to the hole you are going to hit, but sometimes the biggest plays are due to improvisation.

Now I am not saying Moore is a world beater but I have noticed that he reads the field/holes much better than Parker and hits the line much quicker because of those reads.

This wasn't as important in prior years when our run blocking was very good to great, but with a mediocre line it becomes extremely important.

Which leads me to the questions I wanted to ask you guys.

A.) Am I off base on this observation?
    B.) If not, do you think this is a product of Willie not having the carries in College? Not really getting that game experience to have a better head for the running game.

Thanks,
    Brothervad
    I don't think you are off-base in your observation. I have always felt that while Parker has unbelievable physical skills (speed & strength) he is not an instinctive RB.

With exceptional RB's, on replays you will see them cutting & running to where the hole is going to be, not where the hole is. They have the ability to predict the flow of the defenders, and to see the position of their blockers and know where that the hole is going to open up.

I remember watching Tunch on Sportsbeat one night with his "Tunchastrator" & and he was showing Stan that Kreider had an almost unnatural ability to do this, and that frequently Jerome would just follow Kreider's exact footsteps and that he would be able to run off Kreider's block at the second level. DK would run around the TE, for instance, and then cut back in to block the 'backer, because by the time Bettis got there, the TE had cleared his block & left a running lane.

I agree with you that Moore is the better "runner" due to his ability to see the play develop, where as Parker, when healthy, is the more superior player physically.

Pete
    It's not what you do, it's how you do it.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by brothervad
    Here is something that I think I have noticed when watching Willie run vs Moore run. I don't pretend to be an expert which is why I am asking others who know more here what they think.

It appears to me that FWP decision making is slow/non-existent...not necessarily his physical talents. What I mean by that is he often takes too long to determine where the hole is or he will not improvise if the hole opens elsewhere.

I understand the blocking is often set up to the hole you are going to hit, but sometimes the biggest plays are due to improvisation.

Now I am not saying Moore is a world beater but I have noticed that he reads the field/holes much better than Parker and hits the line much quicker because of those reads.

This wasn't as important in prior years when our run blocking was very good to great, but with a mediocre line it becomes extremely important.

Which leads me to the questions I wanted to ask you guys.

A.) Am I off base on this observation?
    B.) If not, do you think this is a product of Willie not having the carries in College? Not really getting that game experience to have a better head for the running game.

Thanks,
    Brothervad
    FWP is fast.. but far from a natural RB.. he has no raw talent as a RB.. all speed.
    but without a FB... it won't work with either RB...

Moore will have more success then FWP in a single back formation and is better suited right now IMO...

I'm an FWP fan though... I still think he should get a decent amount of touches because he is still a threat if everyone does their assignment.

Starter

i don't miss alan faneca, but i miss this feneca character you're talking about...he must have been a stud in the 70's
    "The standard is the standard" Mike Tomlin