Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Year later, Fenaca gone so is running attack.

Year later, Fenaca gone so is running attack.

I am a Feneca fan, he was awesome here and is still one hell of a player, but it was time to go.

That being said, do you think that our running game is missing him?

Or is it more of the scheme of the over all offense. ( 3 new starts to the line, zone blocking, no true FB)

Re: Year later, Fenaca gone so is running attack.

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george
    I am a Feneca fan, he was awesome here and is still one hell of a player, but it was time to go.

Or is it more of the scheme of the over all offense. ( 3 new starts to the line, zone blocking, no true FB)

Well Willie was having a career year with Arians offense while Faneca was still a Steeler.
    Most of Willis memorable big runs came behind Faneca.

The answer seems obvious to me

Legend

Three reasons the running game is stalling:

1. Lack of consistent use of a FB
    2. Commitment to a more spread offense which realizes TEs actually are allowed to catch passes
    3. Most importantly, our top two RBs have been injured most of the season with one being out completely since game #3.

Faneca being here would not have changed any of that.

I could care less if we are dead last in rushing if it means 11+ wins per season like this year. As Tomlin correctly says, it's about "winning football" not "Steelers football."
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo

Three reasons the running game is stalling:

1. Lack of consistent use of a FB
    2. Commitment to a more spread offense which realizes TEs actually are allowed to catch passes
    3. Most importantly, our top two RBs have been injured most of the season with one being out completely since game #3.

Faneca being here would not have changed any of that.
    I agree on number 3.

We would be more successful with Alan despite points one and two.
    Look at Willies entire career.
    Take out long runs sprung by Alan, how does Willie look ?

We definately miss Faneca's abillity to pull, especially since we don't use a fullback.
    BnB Mock 2014
    1. Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
    2. Allen Robinson, WR, Penn State
    3. Dominique Easley, DT, Florida
    4. Phillip Gaines, CB, Rice
    5. Jordan Zumwalt, ILB, UCLA
    5. Jerick McKinnon, RB, Georgia Southern
    6. Prince Shembo, OLB, Notre Dame
    6. Beau Allen, NT, Wisconsin
    7. Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona (went to BnB's Los Alamitos High School)

Another AS masterpiece.

Acero

In my opinion, it's a combination of all reasons provided in the thread.

You know what I really miss? Those screen passes to Willie that would net 40 yards. Problem is if you go back and look at those plays, usually you saw Marvel and Faneca way downfield... you also used to see the FB cracking that first LB at the line of scrimmage.

Can't Starks and Kemo get downfield like that to block? Is Willie too hesitant and/or injured? Why is Dan Kreider unemployed? What's Matt Cushing doing these days?

We don't have a big back. At least this year we don't. We really need to go back to the Fullback, no matter who's in the backfield.

Why is Dan Kreider unemployed? What's Matt Cushing doing these days?
    People in the NFL aren't idiots (most of them anyway). Kreider was released by the pathetic St. Louis Rams. I loved Kreider when he was here but why people are still clamoring for a guy 3-4 years past his prime is beyond me. If he could still play, he wouldn't have been dropped by one of the league's worst teams.

Acero

OK so it isn't Kreider, fine. That's why I made the ridiculous Matt Cushing comment... I know FB's have a short shelf life, with rare exceptions.

My point is we need a lead blocker for the HB. I'm not sure why they're so enamored with the 2 TE set. I know they sometimes shift the 2nd TE into a FB position, but it's just not the same. FB's are among the cheapest players on a roster, the Steelers have a history of finding good blocking FB's.

That's all I'm saying.

Ezekiel 25:17

Mewelde doesn't seem to have the same problems as Willie, who when healthy CLEARLY is more of a threat than Moore. FWP hasnt been "F" since his leg injury last year, at least that I've seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_mXZNgh-KE

I want this guy back.

Here is something that I think I have noticed when watching Willie run vs Moore run. I don't pretend to be an expert which is why I am asking others who know more here what they think.

It appears to me that FWP decision making is slow/non-existent...not necessarily his physical talents. What I mean by that is he often takes too long to determine where the hole is or he will not improvise if the hole opens elsewhere.

I understand the blocking is often set up to the hole you are going to hit, but sometimes the biggest plays are due to improvisation.

Now I am not saying Moore is a world beater but I have noticed that he reads the field/holes much better than Parker and hits the line much quicker because of those reads.

This wasn't as important in prior years when our run blocking was very good to great, but with a mediocre line it becomes extremely important.

Which leads me to the questions I wanted to ask you guys.

A.) Am I off base on this observation?
    B.) If not, do you think this is a product of Willie not having the carries in College? Not really getting that game experience to have a better head for the running game.

Thanks,
    Brothervad