Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thoughts for Discussion

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Thoughts for Discussion

Reality check:

1. Arians won't be gone. Get over it and plan on having hissy fits next year too. Our QB likes him and they have rapport. Is pleasing fans more important than that--NO!!! Ben has grown under Arians much more than he did under the non creative, predictable Whisenhunt or his type.
    2. Sepulveda was a good pick. Look at the percentage of times he pinned the other team inside the 20. That is more important than distance.
    3. Spaeth was a good pick for an offense that was transitioning to one that actually read the rule book and realized TEs were allowed to catch the ball. Spaeth is a good, if not great, blocker and he can catch the ball. Factor in the plans at the time and he made sense.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Reality check:
    2. Sepulveda was a good pick. Look at the percentage of times he pinned the other team inside the 20. That is more important than distance..
    I'd like to take your advice and look at this percentage and compare it to other NFL punters......do you have a link?
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chemsteel
    During the 2007 draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers selected Lawrence Timmons and Lamar Woodley with their first two selections. The selection of a TE was a surprise to everyone except this writer. Arians was promoted to OC in 2007 and Roesthlisberger had one of his best years and Hines Ward is a very big fan of Arians.

The Steelers passed on LeRon McClain in the third round for Matt Spaeth. They also passed on McClain in the fourth round in favor of Sepulveda and Ryan McBean. Coach Tomlin has stated that the bottom line is winning and that Willie should be careful with his comments to the Media. He stated they did very well with two TE sets in 2006.

Coach Tomlin is correct but perhaps the reason for winning is his decision to abide with the thinking of Coach LeBeau.

My questions are as follows:

1. Would you have taken the chance on LeRon McClain in 2007 over any of the above mentioned draft choices? (A tip was that Ron Hughes was supposedly told McClain had a weight control problem and was at 275 lbs. prior to the draft.)

2. Do you think the Steelers need to go back to a true fullback set?
    3. Do our offensive linemen have the athleticism, specifically the guards, to pull and block to ever run 34 Counter Pike again?

4. What value does Matt Spaeth add to this offense?

5. Is the Two TE set more predictable than the I formation?

6. Does Bruce Arians get his walking papers next year? Remember that Arians had in his contract that he would be promoted to offensive coordinator if Ken Whisenhut left. Also, remember who said “We don’t need an OL. We’ll protect Ben with weapons.”
    1. We got Gary Russel and we're not using him. Why? He's a significantly better prospect than McLain. I'm not as much a fan of a big back as I am a good back.

2. Not necessarily. Parker hit a lot of homeruns out of the 2 back set. But we've also seen a lot of -1, 0, 1, and 2 yard runs out of the same set.

3. Simmons does, but he also drives me nuts when he's in the game. Our guys may not be the fastest, but they have strengths and lets focus on those and try to make them as successful as possible. If Marvel miraculously got healthy and we plugged him into Colon's spot, I think we might have an above average line today. And why not try some unbalanced lines to manufacture some running game. And see #1, get some carries for Gary. Willie isn't 100%. Moore's a decent player, but a fill in player, and a better pass catcher than runner. Lets see what Gary can do.

4. He brings versatility to the 2 and 3 TE sets. Do we use him to his fullest? That's another question really. Matt's a pretty talented TE. And his blocking has improved. I'm surprised we don't use his size advantage more in the redzone.

5. No.

6. No. I thought Ben liked him. He's giving Ben input into the plays. And I kinda see Tomlin defending BA with some of his recent comments about Parker's complaints with the offense. How about Larry Z? He's the line coach afterall and that seems to be a bigger problem for us.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler Shades
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Reality check:
    2. Sepulveda was a good pick. Look at the percentage of times he pinned the other team inside the 20. That is more important than distance..
    I'd like to take your advice and look at this percentage and compare it to other NFL punters......do you have a link?
    Guess you don't have a link?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

[quote=Steeler Shades][quote="Steeler Shades":25lqesjr][quote=Oviedo]Reality check:
    2. Sepulveda was a good pick. [size=7][u]Look[/u] at the percentage of times he pinned the other team inside the 20.[/size] That is more important than distance..[/quote]
    I'd like to take your advice and look at this percentage and compare it to other NFL punters......do you have a link? [/quote]
    Guess you don't have a link? [/quote:25lqesjr]

Here are some stats, not exactly what you're looking for but the math can be done. For punts inside the 20 he was ranked #8 in the NFL. 41%

[url="http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?season=2007&seasonType=REG&d-447263-o=2&tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=PUNTING&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PUNTING_PUNTS_INSIDE_20&d-447263-n=1http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/posting.php?mode=edit&f=2&p=46825"]http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats? ... =2&p=46825[/url]
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

[quote=costanza2k1][quote=Steeler Shades][quote="Steeler Shades":1v5q4eb7][quote=Oviedo]Reality check:
    2. Sepulveda was a good pick. [size=7][u]Look[/u] at the percentage of times he pinned the other team inside the 20.[/size] That is more important than distance..[/quote]
    I'd like to take your advice and look at this percentage and compare it to other NFL punters......do you have a link? [/quote]
    Guess you don't have a link? [/quote]

Here are some stats, not exactly what you're looking for but the math can be done. For punts inside the 20 he was ranked #8 in the NFL. 41%

[url="http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?season=2007&seasonType=REG&d-447263-o=2&tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=PUNTING&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PUNTING_PUNTS_INSIDE_20&d-447263-n=1http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/posting.php?mode=edit&f=2&p=46825"]http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats? ... =2&p=46825[/url][/quote:1v5q4eb7]

Since I was bored I dropped it in a spreadsheet and did the math. Looks like he ranks 5th in the NFL for punters who have punted more than 13 punts.

Andy Lee SF P 40.00%
    Mike Scifres SD P 44.44%
    Chris Kluwe MIN P 41.98%
    Josh Bidwell TB P 38.96%
    Daniel Sepulveda PIT P 41.18%
    Matt Turk HOU P 43.64%
    Scott Player CLE P 46.15%
    Jeremy Kapinos NYJ P 40.00%
    Jason Elam DEN K 100.00%
    Robbie Gould CHI K 50.00%
    John Kasay CAR K 50.00%
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by costanza2k1
    Since I was bored I dropped it in a spreadsheet and did the math. Looks like he ranks 5th in the NFL for punters who have punted more than 13 punts.

Andy Lee SF P 40.00%
    Mike Scifres SD P 44.44%
    Chris Kluwe MIN P 41.98%
    Josh Bidwell TB P 38.96%
    Daniel Sepulveda PIT P 41.18%
    Matt Turk HOU P 43.64%
    Scott Player CLE P 46.15%
    Jeremy Kapinos NYJ P 40.00%
    Jason Elam DEN K 100.00%
    Robbie Gould CHI K 50.00%
    John Kasay CAR K 50.00%
    You the MAN!!!
    Thanks for the information.