Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts for Discussion

Re: Thoughts for Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler Shades
    Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemsteel
    1. Would you have taken the chance on LeRon McClain in 2007 over any of the above mentioned draft choices? (A tip was that Ron Hughes was supposedly told McClain had a weight control problem and was at 275 lbs. prior to the draft.)
    1. If McClain were 275 and had problems controlling his weight, I guess we see why Steelers & other teams passed on him. I think they made the right choices with the players they drafted. I think Spaeth was a good choice. Needed a punter to help with special teams. Tried to add depth on the Dline with Mcbean. All hindsight.
    I never liked the Sepulveda pick and still don't. Too high of a draft choice (not counting the additional pick). Do I "mis-remember" or wasn't the rap on Timmons also that he had a weight problem? That certainly didn't stop the Steelers from taking him. The McClain pick would have been helpful in retrospect, but we really needed to address other more pressing issues......and still do.
    The only weight problem I remember Timmons having was that he didn't weight enough. I always thought the issue with him was the he was a physical freak (very true as we have seen this year) but he did not get a whole lot of quality playing time in college and then came out after his junior year.

1. Would you have taken the chance on LeRon McClain in 2007 over any of the above mentioned draft choices? (A tip was that Ron Hughes was supposedly told McClain had a weight control problem and was at 275 lbs. prior to the draft.)
    1. If McClain were 275 and had problems controlling his weight, I guess we see why Steelers & other teams passed on him. I think they made the right choices with the players they drafted. I think Spaeth was a good choice. Needed a punter to help with special teams. Tried to add depth on the Dline with Mcbean. All hindsight.
    I never liked the Sepulveda pick and still don't. Too high of a draft choice (not counting the additional pick). Do I "mis-remember" or wasn't the rap on Timmons also that he had a weight problem? That certainly didn't stop the Steelers from taking him. The McClain pick would have been helpful in retrospect, but we really needed to address other more pressing issues......and still do.
    i didn't like it initially, but, i bought into the hype of a punter who makes tackles... as the season went on, i realized "i dont want a punter who tackles like a LB. I want a punter who punts like Ray Guy"...

I'd be curious to see how Sep returns... loved his rugby kicks, but, his overall punting was so so... better than what we currently have, though.
    Mock 3.0
    1. Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
    2. Jordan Matthews, WR, Vandy
    3. Ed Stinson, DE, Alabama
    4. Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor
    5. Zachariah Kerr, NT, Delaware
    5a. Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona
    6. Marcel Jensen, TE, Fresno State
    6a Greg Blair, ILB, Cincinnati
    7. Kaleb Ramsey, DE, Boston College

2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Pro Bowler

Not every pick is popular with every body. I understand why they felt the need to pick Sepulveda at that spot. If they felt that he could help to improve field position and the coverage units it was worth the risk. I will guess that most picks drafted from the 4th round on do not make the team or are not with the team past their 1st contract.

I did not think they needed to draft a RB in the 1st round this year. After thinking about it, maybe they did. Especially since Mendenhall seemed like a bargin at that spot. Not only that, it appeared that they would have execellent depth behind Parker. Injuries killed any chances of that. Hopefully Mendenhall will live up to his potential next season.

Legend

I think anyone who's watched Berger and Ernster this season should be salivating at the thought of Sepulveda returning next season. Folks want us to spend a draft pick on a returner but not on a guy who can give us defensive field position. If I remember right, Sepulveda led the league in punts downed inside the 20 last season. That's value.

As for Arians...even if we win it all I believe he will be gone.

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    I think anyone who's watched Berger and Ernster this season should be salivating at the thought of Sepulveda returning next season. Folks want us to spend a draft pick on a returner but not on a guy who can give us defensive field position. If I remember right, Sepulveda led the league in punts downed inside the 20 last season. That's value.

agreed on point 1... on point 2, I don't see Arians being gone - unless he chooses to move on his own.
    Mock 3.0
    1. Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
    2. Jordan Matthews, WR, Vandy
    3. Ed Stinson, DE, Alabama
    4. Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor
    5. Zachariah Kerr, NT, Delaware
    5a. Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona
    6. Marcel Jensen, TE, Fresno State
    6a Greg Blair, ILB, Cincinnati
    7. Kaleb Ramsey, DE, Boston College

2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille

agreed on point 1... on point 2, I don't see Arians being gone - unless he chooses to move on his own.
    Maybe I'm delusional, but I have this vision of Tomlin at a presser stating that despite winning a championship there are areas where they can, and will, get better and that starts with replacing the OC.

I think anyone who's watched Berger and Ernster this season should be salivating at the thought of Sepulveda returning next season.
    I don't agree that the only choices the Steelers have are Berger and Ernster, or spend two draft choices (4th & 6th) on a punter. I think there were other punters available last year and this year that would give good value and not be as costly in picks. That is my opinion and a couple of dogs like Berger and Ernster don't convince me that Sepulveda was a good value.

As far as Airens...... Even if we discount MT's infamous statement about "continuity", and if we get to the AFCC (and I expect us to), Airens will stay..... sadly.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

Legend

Sepulveda only had one season and led the league (as a rookie) in punts downed inside the 20.

In the NFL field position is so important. Sepulveda brings value.

Sepulveda only had one season and led the league (as a rookie) in punts downed inside the 20.

In the NFL field position is so important. Sepulveda brings value.
    I can't seem to find an online source for that "inside the 20" stat. I did find the following, but evidently they both are not correct. Could you please provide a link?
    http://www.sikids.com/football/nfl/stat ... _IN20.html
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/footba ... _IN20.html
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

Legend

[quote=Steeler Shades][quote="stlrz d":37ur93yx]Sepulveda only had one season and led the league (as a rookie) in punts downed inside the 20.

In the NFL field position is so important. Sepulveda brings value.[/quote]
    I can't seem to find an online source for that "inside the 20" stat. I did find the following, but evidently they both are not correct. Could you please provide a link?
    [url="http://www.sikids.com/football/nfl/stats/2007/punting/0_byPUNT_IN20.html"]http://www.sikids.com/football/nfl/stat ... _IN20.html[/url]
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/footba ... _IN20.html
    [/quote:37ur93yx]

I don't know if those are punts that landed inside the 20 or punts downed inside the 20.

I can't find a link either but I swear to you I read an article that stated Sepulveda led the league in punts downed inside the 20.